Exceed Under Rail Tub & Tailgate Liner

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Exceed Under Rail Tub & Tailgate Liner

Postby Spenner on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:00 pm

G'day, a totally Triton newbie here!

I've just taken delivery of my new MQ16 Exceed and I'm thinking of getting the Tub and Tailgate Liner for it.

Does anyone have any experience or fitting instructions for this that I can have a look at before buying? As you'll all know the Exceed has the sports bar fitted as standard.

Not sure how hard a job it is so any info would be good.

Cheers.
Spenner

Re: Exceed Under Rail Tub & Tailgate Liner

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Pretty easy job. The problem is that they will always let dust in underneath and then as they move will slowly erode your paint down to bare metal.

The spray on liners are much more durable but also more expensive.

If you're a bit handy there are some DIY paint on liners that seem to produce decent results
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Spenner on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Righty, don't want that to happen!

Are the spray on liners reversible, i.e. can it be removed if needed to be later on? I don't really like having things done if it's a permanent thing. I was also after a soft tonneau for the Exceed but got told that drilling approximately 30 holes is involved so I'm going to pass on that!

Cheers.
Spenner

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:01 pm

No it's permanent
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby murwullambah on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Spenner wrote:Righty, don't want that to happen!

Are the spray on liners reversible, i.e. can it be removed if needed to be later on? I don't really like having things done if it's a permanent thing. I was also after a soft tonneau for the Exceed but got told that drilling approximately 30 holes is involved so I'm going to pass on that!

Cheers.

You can get the soft tonneau cover that doesnt have to be drilled down the tub, it uses a rail attached to top of tub sides.
murwullambah

Postby striker99 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:39 pm

murwullambah wrote:

Cheers.

You can get the soft tonneau cover that doesnt have to be drilled down the tub, it uses a rail attached to top of tub sides.

Those "rails" you speak of are what require 30+ holes to be drilled into the tub unfortunately. I'm getting a canopy soon it's a pain in the arse to get rid of.
striker99

Postby Spenner on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:No it's permanent

Plastic liner it is then. Might have to try and use something "sticky" to stop it moving :)

So there's no drilling involved with the plastic tub liners then?
Spenner

Postby Spenner on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 pm

striker99 wrote:
murwullambah wrote:

Cheers.

Those "rails" you speak of are what require 30+ holes to be drilled into the tub unfortunately. I'm getting a canopy soon it's a pain in the arse to get rid of.

Yeah that's what I was told. I really don't fancy having 30 holes drilled in my brand new truck!
Spenner

Postby tacticaltriton on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:48 pm

A plastic liner with leave permanent rub marks in your tub - I put one in my MN and after only a month or so it had started to rub paint off in the bottom of the tub. Mine was an over rail liner and it had started to rub the lip also - happily I'd taped under it but it was eating away at the tape! And that's with next to nothing having been in the tub.

I pulled it out and sold it and put some thick ventilated rubber mat from Bunnings in the bottom and part way up the sides. Plastic liners look decent enough on the outside but I hate to think of the multitude of utes with tubs rubbed back to bare metal and rusting underneath the plastic....

At the end of the day it's a ute and shit's going to go in the back and damage the paint. And TBH if you're the sort to really put a ute to hard use you're better off with a tray anyhow.
tacticaltriton

Postby Snooozy on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:28 pm

here is some pics of what a liner does to the tailgate. Through to bare metal.

I would NEVER use this as an option again. go the spray on liner

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby murwullambah on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 pm

i
Last edited by murwullambah on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murwullambah

Postby explorer.dave on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:08 pm

I have a tray, but, l have seen a few with the spray on liner and in my opinion looks great, that would be my choice if I ever switched to a tub.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:36 pm

The bigger issue, especially further North, is condensation. Forms between the plastic, drop in liner and the tub and results in rust. The spray in liners solve that.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bikz on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:28 am

I installed the ARB sportguard tub liner on MQ Exceed myself. I'm not much of a handyman but i found it quite easy to install.
bikz

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 am

The tub liners are probably useful for extra mechanical protection against denting, like when you're regularly chucking bricks, etc into the tub.

But on all the feedback offered, why else would anyone fit one?

You get a slight loss in volume, slippery load surface and a mess to fix if you want to restore to 'nude' tub.

I'd still opt for the paint on liner and stick a mat in for extra floor protection against dents if your expecting rough treatment.

I think I saw colour tinted paint on liner at one of the auto joints a few months back.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aquagen on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:13 am

The fact that spray liner is permanent is the beauty of it. It will outlast your tub if done correctly. 3mm of polyurethane is heaps stronger than a bare tub, won't rust or mark like a drop in liner.
There's videos online of linex being used to bomb proof buildings.
aquagen

Postby Spenner on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

Good comments from everyone!

Think for the time being I'm going to go on the route of "tacticaltriton" and get some matting and see how I go with that. And maybe go the spray liner route further down the line if needs must.

Cheers guys.
Spenner

Return to General Discussion