Mq Triton snorkel install.

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Mq Triton snorkel install.

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi guys.

I always had a snorkel install on my list of items to complete but have decided to expedite this process after my previous log book service at 15k.

I do general 4wding around Melbourne areas, I have never done any river crossings, highest point of mud holes would be 3/4 height of the wheel..but..as shown to me...my air filter was in a terrible state and looked as if it had been mud soaked at some point. I've been lucky and haven't had any engine problems. Also a good prompt to other drivers to check their filters after fun out on the track.

Needless to say... Safari snork purchased today and awaiting delivery.. 114mm hole saw ordered as well.

Any words of wisdom for my upcoming back yard install?

Thanks again.

Rae
Zwagerman9

Re: Mq Triton snorkel install.

Postby TheSheepKed on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Installed my own snorkel on an MN - not sure what it's like for the MQ design but if you need to drill holes into the body, invest in a step drill bit. Makes perfectly clean holes.
Get yourself Sikaflex 227 for sealing things if need be.
Coat all holes that you cut/drill with enamel paint or something rust proof and let it dry.
When cutting the larger holes, make a pilot hole for the pilot bit and then go slowly. If you spin the drill too quickly, you could wander off your mark and scratch other areas. Let the saw bite into the metal and let it do the work. Bit of lubricant wouldn't go astray but with a brand new holesaw, it should eat it like butter.
Just my 2 cents.
TheSheepKed

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I plan on taking my time with the install. Mask the area. Pre drill. De bur. Repaint probably with touch up pens 2-3 coats and also try and add a dab or sealant at the sites. As per every possible snorkel post before I am not looking forward to putting a hole saw to a new car. Having the time with delivery I am trying to have good quality components available to me instead of chasing up wood hole saws etc. I want to make the job as easy as possible. But don't really wanna pay 200-300 for the install.
Zwagerman9

Postby TheSheepKed on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Zwagerman9 wrote:Awesome. Thanks for the response. I plan on taking my time with the install. Mask the area. Pre drill. De bur. Repaint probably with touch up pens 2-3 coats and also try and add a dab or sealant at the sites. As per every possible snorkel post before I am not looking forward to putting a hole saw to a new car. Having the time with delivery I am trying to have good quality components available to me instead of chasing up wood hole saws etc. I want to make the job as easy as possible. But don't really wanna pay 200-300 for the install.

Absolutely. It said 5 - 6 hours. Took me 12 hours. Mostly due to my incompetency, but nevertheless, give yourself plenty of time. Overnight if need be.
Also, I used a Bosch corded drill bit with variable speed setting and attached the perpendicular hand grip for extra stability. Could get away with a good cordless but I liked the extra support and strength.
ARB template will be nice and accurate so don't be too worried. Mine was off eBay and it wasn't accurate, so fear factor was tripled.
Wood hole saws are terrible - bi-metal is the way to go. I used a Sutton hole saw and it cut through too easily. I didn't have time to be scared since it went through that quickly.
I also couldn't justify the $200 - $300 install that I could've used for a new set of lights but each to their own.
Whereabouts in Melb are you from?
TheSheepKed

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm on the Mornington Peninsula. But I do some day trips up to lancefield/cobaw and out to yarra state forest as well etc. Didn't think id rush the snorkel purchase etc. But the state of that air filter was a worrying thought. My mechanic thought id attempted river crossings...showed me the filter and used some descriptive words to explain what state it was in....
Zwagerman9

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Side note. Just ordered my step drill.
Zwagerman9

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Just in relation to the Safari snorkel, does it require a small amount of the flare cut to facilitate install unlike the TJM
WUNSIE

Postby Zwagerman9 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Yup as per the install instructions it does. I initially wasn't that keen on the safari but changed my mind. I asked my wife which she liked more. Only thing to note now that I'm looking at the car with my side steps and brush bars its going to be a tight fit.
Zwagerman9

Postby Zwagerman9 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Just an update.

Safari snorkel all installed. Took about 4 hours all up.

The instructions are relatively easy to follow. Take note as per instructions to align the left edge and top to panels, initially felt unsure as there was a small 3-5mm gap at the flare, but if you zoom in on the installing instructions this appears to be the same.

Left mud guard, wheel arch liner removed as instructed just a couple of bolts screws and plastic trim retainers.

I also undid the bolts to my brush bars and moved them slightly out the way for space.

Airbox removed as instructed (1x worm clamp, 2×bolts securing the airbox)

Automatic centre punch all holes prior to drilling to make this easier to drill straight. Pilot hole 5mm. 8mm hole drilled into all holes and then step up drill bit to 16mm as per instructions.

Hole saw hole only piloted to 6mm to make room for the holesaw pilot drill bit at 6.5mm.

Slow and steady with the hole saw, low drill gear, plenty of lubricant.

Due to the shape and bends in the panel the first panel the saw bit into was the flare, then began to bite to upper portion, found to finish the sides without biting in I would have to go slow and on an angle, e.g slightly left and right to finish the cut.

All holes painted with 3 coats of touch up paint.

With the upper A pillar mount 6mm drill through the sheet metal then second layer into the pillar, then 8mm re-drill at sheet metal.

Holes deburred and painted.

I preferred to add some sikaflex into the hole itself and around the edges of the plastic inserts just for added security/waterproofing/rustproofing.

Airbox mount changed, pop rivetted and sealed with Sikaflex, rubber drain at bottom of airbox also sealed up.

Airbox reinstalled, new connector applied, and snorkel fitted into panel.

Took some time to secure washers and nylon lock nuts to the back side of the panel due to lack of space for hands and tools.

This job would be much easier with a ratcheting spanner. 13mm I believe.

Nil other problems or marks, no drill wander, there is about 1cm of overhang from the snorkel around all bolts.

Tools that made this easier

114mm bi-metal (ordered from eBay $40)

Step up drill bit (10mm to 30mm cheap from bunnings $20

Touch up pen from supercheap auto ($10)

Was unable to find my de bur tool so a good 10 mins sanding and deburring with a small file and 280grit sandpaper.

Sikaflex 227 ($18).

Holepunch ($10 supercheap auto)

One thing to say... I did not enjoy taking a holesaw to my reasonably new car... On a positive note... Once you are about 10 seconds into drilling there is no turning back anyway.

Thanks for the advice.
Zwagerman9

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Great work - now for a picture!
TheSheepKed

Postby Zwagerman9 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Some progression of photos during install. Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk
Zwagerman9

Postby puk on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:07 am

Well,
After going to school on this thread, and watching a youtube video or two, i did my own safari snorkel install in about 2 and a half hours yesterday. The longest part was waiting for the paint to dry on the holes. I did the airbox mods at that point.

Huge thanks to Zwagerman9 who GAVE me his Bi-metal 114mm Holesaw for the cost of the postage. (I may as well keep it going if anyone else needs it, too, as i am never going to use it again)

I am very happy with the install, and if you do your homework and make sure you have the right tools, there is really nothing to fear on this job, no gremlins or surprises.
Oh, and it saved me $300. :)

Puk
puk

Return to General Discussion