MQ Normal Operating Temp??

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: MQ Normal Operating Temp??

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:47 pm

we have a MR with factory bullbar as a loaner, i'll put my EDS in it and give that a blast for info purposes
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby seb7701 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Sounds good- be interesting to see, but the MR appears to run annoyingly cool!

I see that the MR factory bars have a huge intake in front, so I am thinking that’s what’s missing with the Ironman bar...
seb7701

Postby seb7701 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 am

Is there a chance anyone here has an Ironman bar and a ScanGauge to temp to share? Just trying to figure if the bar really is the issue...
seb7701

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 am

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Gudgo on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Was very pleasantly surprised to see your post. We have the same car, same Bullbar and same problem. Notice you have travelled up Toowoomba range as we have and going east up Minden Range also gets hot. One bar off max temp. Have you found a solution? Would love to chat.
Gudgo

Postby Gudgo on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:50 pm

seb7701, Would love to chat about your car. Have the same car, same Bullbar and the same problem. Karen.
Gudgo

Postby viking shippy on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:35 pm

seb7701 wrote:Thanks mate - any comparisons are appreciated.

Interestingly I recalled the bullbar installer handing me some plastic pieces after the install and upon checking today, realised that they were the side right-angle air dams. So took the bullbar off this arvo and am in the midst of re-installing these plastic bits which hopefully prevent air leakage from around the sides to some degree.

This will be interesting...

id be shoving those bits of plastic were the installers sun don't shine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
viking shippy

MQ Intake and Coolant temps

Postby deanA on Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:24 pm

Hi folks,
I've been hunting around trying to get some info on what is normal operating temps for intake and coolant. Mitsu haven't been real helpful in being willing to provide info, they simply say 'bring it in and we'll have a look at it for you' but I think we all know how that would play out.
It may be all in my head but I feel both temps have been creeping up lately when watching the EDS, it still drives well with the exception of sometimes feeling like it lacks power. Car is basically stock with tray and canopy and 2in lift with nudge bar up front, 146k, catch can fitted, air flow sensor cleaned, iat temp cleaned and resistance checked, intake and EGR cleaned.
Driving on flat highway today @110km/h I reached a high of the following figures
Coolant temp 93°
IAT 78°
Most of the time coolant sat at around 88-90 and iat would dropped temp when you put the foot down. Would drop to mid 50s then rise to high 60s pretty quick then if you just maintained speed it creeped up in the 70s.
OAT was about 31°
Both temps are higher since changing the coolant last weekend using Nulon premix (suppose to be 50/50 mix)
Previously coolant always sat around 84-88 and iat over the months creeped up to a max of 70 at idle, highway was low 60s, although I feel this was higher than when I first bought it.

I could be judging this wrong but I feel it did a dpf burn this morning as I clicked 146k. Intake temps dropped to mid 40s, map was in 80s instead of 100kpa when off the throttle and coolant was high 80s for about 30kms. Was doing 110km/h at the time. It's done this in the past then the engine note changes and it drives better and smoother. If your driving slowed down at lights etc it would go back to normal operating temps, hence the assumption it was doing a burn.

These may all be normal figures but I feel they are creeping up.
Has anyone else taken note of theirs? What is normal for MQ? Does the EGR always keep the temps above 50°? How high is too high for normal driving?

(Most likely unrelated but the idle does have a hiccup just when it gets to operating temp and sits at the lights. Once totally warmed up and driven for a bit it has no issue)
Thanks for your thoughts and comments, sorry for the long winded story.
deanA

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:52 am

deanA, I've moved your post here to keep discussion on the same topic together.

Generally sounds like it's pretty normal except that your coolant change isn't working for you. Mitsubishis are fussy about coolant - the factory stuff generally works best.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby deanA on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:12 am

NowForThe5th wrote:deanA, I've moved your post here to keep discussion on the same topic together.

Generally sounds like it's pretty normal except that your coolant change isn't working for you. Mitsubishis are fussy about coolant - the factory stuff generally works best.
Thanks for the insight @NowForThe5th really appreciate it. Great to hear your thoughts.
From what I've read thermostat will start to open at 82 and be fully open at 95. I think I'm more leaning toward the IAT readings as I haven't seen any posts discussing this in my search, but I could be wrong.
This morning driving at 80km/h at 25° outside I was reading in the 60s for the IAT and would drop to high 40-50s up a hill which is what it's normally done. Guessing and hopeful it was just a warm day yesterday and that contributed to hotter temps than what I've usually seen. Also seemed to do another dpf burn this morning with intake and map dropping, so maybe need to go back to Penrite C3 5w30 instead of the enviro+ 5w40.
deanA

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:46 pm

Don't forget that what you quote as IAT (intake air temperature) is measured in the manifold, so has been heated and cooled. It doesn't bear a lot of relevance to outside air temperature which is measured at the MAF sensor, and is, as you note, subject to fluctuations according to how hard the engine is working. Thermostat opening/closing temperatures are determined by coolant temperature, not by IAT, although it may be used in the calculations that the ECU makes.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby deanA on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks, yep you're 100% correct. I was intrigued just to know what temps others have been getting in their intake manifold. Are they popping out temps in the 60s to high 70s. You mentioned earlier it seems about right so that brought a bit of piece of mind, even though it still seems high to me, bit I guess that's what's needed for emissions etc. Thank you :)
deanA

Postby deanA on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 am

Hi all, just thought I'd give an update on operating temps based on my previous long winded post, hopefully it'll help someone else in the future.
Turns out I had not 1 but 2 20mm splits in the cold side of the intercooler hose that couldn't be seen till I pulled them off to inspect them. Replaced both hot and cold side with good quality silicone hoses and the results were night and day. Car now runs at 85-88° coolant temp at 100km/h (87-90° @110km/h) with IAT sitting at the 50° mark or just below. At idle you can see the IAT slowly rise to 70° then the EGR closes and temp drops to 50° and the cycle begins again. Power and throttle response are awesome.
Towing a 2.5t trailer through a few steep mountain ranges over the weekend saw my temps at 95-105° coolant and IAT reached a max of 70°. Economy also improved.
All these results make sense, previously the splits in the hose would've created a rich fuel mixture. All the air the ecu thought the engine was getting was blowing out of the splits (hence the feeling of being down on power also) meanwhile it was pouring fuel in for the air ratio it thought it had which just meant the engine was running hotter and what wasn't getting burnt was going through the EGR again and eventually the DPF, hence the extra DPF burns that I mentioned in the other post since it would've just been getting clogged up.

I hope this info can help others that might be having similar issues. I am soooo glad I had a live data scan tool connected, apart from the throttle response this was the only thing that told me something wasn't right. The factory dash coolant temp gauge never moved even when I reached 105° and no engine code or lights ever appeared.
All I can stress is get to know your vehicle and what is normal for it and raise questions when things start to change.
deanA

Postby AndrewGLS on Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:42 am

deanA wrote: good quality silicone hoses and the results were night and day.

Hey mate, which hoses did you go with? There are a few on the market and they vary in price quite a bit.
I have heard the newer tritons do have a bit of a weak point with the intercooler hoses and was hoping to replace them before I have problems. Although, maybe I already do?

Would love to know which ones you got and what made you go down that route.
AndrewGLS

Postby deanA on Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:48 pm

I ended up getting forefront industries brand hoses, simply because they were available locally and I needed them urgently. Came with good quality clamps and were a pretty good price. Both hot and cold side together with clamps for less than $270. Quality seems really good.
deanA

Previous

Return to General Discussion