Possible sticking brakes

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Possible sticking brakes

Postby mitzi1 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Have a 2019 mr ute which has been sometimes good on fuel and dances at the touch of the pedal. Mostly is sluggish and drags along and drinks fuel under acceleration and heavy still cruising and round town. This morning it was dragging along on a freeway at 11.5 l/100 empty tray when there was a quiet click from the front right wheel followed by another from the rear left. The ute got up and barked. accelerator pressure was reduced and it got up and danced at a touch on the pedal. Within a short distance the fuel economy gauge had dropped from 11.5 l/100 to 9,3 and shortly after down to 8.7.
This had happened a few times before, but never heard the click sound. So I'm thinking front right right brake is sticking on and the left rear comes on to counter any pull to the right. This is causing heavy fuel usage.
Any thought on this please and if I am correct would it be a brake caliper problem or a problem in the ABS system. If i'm wrong any suggestions (polite ones please) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
mitzi1

Re: Possible sticking brakes

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Nothing is impossible but what you describe as the source of your fuel consumption problem is a bit unlikely.

It's a 2019 MR, so still under warranty. Just take it to your dealer.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:24 pm

If you have a infared thermometer When youre cruising along the freeway and you feel it being sluggish, pull up out of harms way and point and record temps at each wheel, that will tell you instantly if they are dragging or if youre game reach in and touch and see if any are stinking hot and those that are cool :shock: :shock:
Lick youre finger first and listen for a sizzle :(
Trust me the last suggestion can cause a few non descript swear words :lol:
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:48 am

5th's suggestion X2.

Alternatively, if your competent with working on brakes, jack the front wheels off the ground and see if the wheels spin freely.

Next, drop wheels off and check out the calipers for free movement.

Excessive brake dust on one brake would highlight a problem.

Dodgey machining on caliper or a pad could cause you issue.

Ultimately, your vehicle is new and I'd be pushing for new hardware.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DutchExpat on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Mate if your brakes would stick like that on a freeway for a couple of kays you would definitely smell it and end up with glowing rotors. So I would suspect something else.

But as the others have said warranty issue.
DutchExpat

Return to General Discussion