MR 2020 triton brake overheat traction control

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MR 2020 triton brake overheat traction control

Postby jollibee on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:03 am

g'day

i have a MR triton GLX+ and after driving some tracks in watagans a few weeks ago coming out onto the tarmac i got a warning come up saying that traction control would be turned off to prevent the brake from overheating. i turned off traction control when driving off the road but was wondering why this warning came up and what the go is. i pulled over turned car off turned back on and no dramas.

anything to worry about?

thank you!!!!!!!!
jollibee

Re: MR 2020 triton brake overheat traction control

Postby AussieJoe on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 am

Haven’t had this issue specifically but were you on the brakes a lot during your drive?

If not, check your rear park cables that run to the rear brake drums. They are very easily knocked and pulled away from the rear drum which causes your park brake cable to go tight, pulling on the brake shoes. If that brake is then left to get hot it may have increased the brake fluid temperature enough to log an event.

It may have popped back into place by the time you got home too.

My drivers side rear cable was knocked and twisted and split the rubber around the cable which caused my rear drum to get hot. All I did was re-position the cable best I could and popped it back in place and it’s been ok ever since.

Otherwise, if a power cycle fixed it, it may have been nothing. My transmission went into limp home mode once for no reason but turning the car off and back on slowly fixed that too
AussieJoe

Re: MR 2020 triton brake overheat traction control

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:18 pm

The traction control works a lot harder than you think, when offroad. If the surface is dry, fine gravel or wet and a slippery layer of mud then there will be constant work for the traction control to keep wheels turning in unison.

You can't turn off traction control. That switch on the dash is for ASC - Automatic Stability Control. If you put the vehicle in low range and engage the Rear Diff Lock then TC will disengage.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion