Mq gls buildup

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Mq gls buildup

Postby Aquagen0 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Figured seeing how I have one of the first mq tritons I'll start a build thread as a pioneer.
Delivery state was pretty standard, only extras were fabric, rust, paint protection and Darkest legal tint
* swapped the factory 245/65r17 tyres 0km for toyo at2 265/65 and while being a bit louder am impressed with the wet weather grip and traction.

*bought some factory rubber floor mats off ebay for half the price the dealers wanted.

Left it like that til first service 1500km. Returned it to dealer with one issue, surface rust on the chassis, wiper arms and sports bar. Still waiting for a result but I'm guessing it will be quicker to paint it myself with kill rust

*day after the service got my tub spray lined, under rail, very impressed with the finish. And it has quietened the rear down

*wired up power to the tray. Matson adjustable vsr courtesy of super cheap ebay 20% off sale. Basically the same as the Mn triton, start battery>vsr>100amp circuit breaker>cable run along chassis to Lh rear light>Anderson plug>100amp breaker>removable 105ah battery in box. All cable in split tubing and cable tied out of the way. Ran the earth to chassis bolt, measured zero voltage drop, if I have issues I'll run it to the battery. Only issue is very little room behind the tailights for the 2 cables in spilt tube, lots of swearing.

*fitted Mitsubishi roof bars, rebranded thule bars, surprising cheap. And they bolt down into factory nutsert in the roof, no more clamping over the door. Chucked my roo systems 2mx2m awning up on the passenger side. Had this on my challenger, have mounted LEDs in the awning which will run off my Aux battery in the tub.

*chucked the chip off my challenger onto the Mq. Set it to 8, too early to tell if it made as big an improvement as it did on my old car, especially as I'm pretty happy with the Mq power wise anyway. A lot easier to fit and remove than on the 2.5 engines. The fuel rail is ontop of the engine, facing radiator. All you need to remove is the 3 bolts holding the engine cover on, lift that off and it's right in front of you. Zip tied the chip up on the firewall behind the battery. Easier than trying to blindly reach between the block and firewall like the the 2.5ltr

*bought a vgate obd2 Bluetooth adapter. For some reason the only temp I can pick up on the exhaust side is catalyst. The dpf has probes just after the turbo so hoping that is catalyst on the scanner. Before chip saw temps get up to 650c on a long up hill climb in 6th gear. Haven't had a chance to test with chip

Next mod will be fitting a factory hard lid, supposedly still on the ship coming from Japan. Along with any bull bar or tow bar an owner might want to fit.
Last edited by Aquagen0 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquagen0

Re: Mq gls buildup

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Go easy with tuning these as I'm not sure how the alloy block will withstand big combustion pressures long term. (let me blow the first one up :lol: ) Fuel no problem so long as EGTs kept in hand, just don't let the boost run away and back off if your hear it starting to growl like the 4D56 can do.

Will be watching with interest and enjoy the new MQ. 8-

Yes, rail sensor is in a great spot. :lol:
MQ rail sensor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Aquagen0 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:20 pm

On the bright side being so easy to get to, if I do blow it up it won't be hard to put back to stock before I drop it off to Mitsubishi.
I dont plan on pushing the tune too hard. More for fuel economy. But will be keeping an eye on torque while I get used to it
Aquagen0

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 am

Oh it's good to know the mn chip units fit the MQ
I'll try it on my one.
GLX-RSilver

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 am

Hi guys .. Any feed back on the chip providing any real improvement ? Cheers
Bigfoot kiwi

Postby Aquagen0 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm actually going to remove it when I get back to Perth in a week to see if there is any difference. It's been on since new so I honestly can't answer yet. The new 2.4 engine was already more powerful so the chip might be a placebo
Aquagen0

Postby Dunga71 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Rang the blokes that sold me the duel chip for my mn today to see if it will be compatible with the MQ they said they haven't looked into the tunes for them yet and don't fit it until they have checked,$60 to retune it if nesesary so I will wait
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:19 am

Great .. Thanks .. Interesting that your mq is quicker. Im in a diff position..
My MN was chiped and had straight 2 1/2" exhaust and was definatly stronger than my MQ .. The Mn gave a real punch in the kidneys about 2000 -3000 and was definatly " fueled up" and gave puffs of coal smoke.

I have done the exhaust on MQ.. ( 2 1/2" no mufflers) It freed her up a bit but NO extra noise at all..
Dpf must " muffle ".
Bigfoot kiwi

Postby Aquagen0 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:08 am

I'm comparing mq manual to 2.5 Pb challenger auto
Aquagen0

Postby rjkenno on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Any updates on how the chip went mate?
rjkenno

Return to Member Build Ups