Misty - my MQ Glx

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Misty - my MQ Glx

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:08 pm

I picked up a few things from the 4wd Supacentre on Friday afternoon.

Picked up;
Thunder compressor
Recovery kit (includes the kwiky deflator
Berrima engine data scan computer

Got the three for $310

The thumper and recovery kit fit nicely behind the rear seats once the jack is out of the bracket. Eventually I'll mount the compressor their properly and wire it up to a switch and run air leads ect but good to know it fits.
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Spent the afternoon adjusting the side steps. When I picked it up from having the bar work done, I could hear and feel the side steps hitting the cabin. The top of the bracket that mounts to the chassis was touching a section of the underside of the body. This caused a tapping everything I hit a pot hole and I could feel it in my feet through the floor! I just loosened it up and let it drop away to stop the tapping, and tried to grind it a little, but it still hit when I leveled it up.

Today I packed a thicker plate between the bracket and the chassis to create a wider gap. Finally have it level!

Click to view larger picture

I know I could have taken it back to the bloke who fitted it, but I couldn't be bothered to be honest!

Anyone buying Ironman steps should be aware of it though, and make sure they do it right the first time. I spoke to a bloke from Ironman about it and they said the Thai model never had the frame section on the body, it was added to suit the aus model and the side steps were made to suit the Thai model.

My next question was "well then why are you supplying them if they don't fit properly?" to which I got a reply of we don't know which ones are which, we have some that are right and some that aren't...

Im starting to wish I'd not tried to save a few hundred and gone with something else for my gear...

But what can you do, I have it all now! Got to make the most of what you got!!
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:29 pm

hi tasc!! rig is looking tops ! how's the mq go in the turbo lag department ?? it's really my only dislike about my mn, and wonder if it's any better on the mq, what's your thoughts. ? have you driven an mn to compare?
cheers snake
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:13 pm

snakesoup wrote:hi tasc!! rig is looking tops ! how's the mq go in the turbo lag department ?? it's really my only dislike about my mn, and wonder if it's any better on the mq, what's your thoughts. ? have you driven an mn to compare?
cheers snake

Hi mate, cheers for that! She is coming along nicely! So much to do, so little $$ left lol!

I haven't driven an MN to compare, but their is a slight lag in the MQ. Mine is a manual so I can't speak for the auto. The main notice I feel is the change to second and third, it has a flat spot right after letting out the clutch. It takes a second to 'jump' into action.

On take off its fine as the clutch and revs take it out, but I have noticed it more when towing the van around, especially on take off. Takes a little more revs to get it going from stand still.

I'm happy with it though! Better than the auto craptiva I had before this!

Keen to see what a proper tune would do to the MQ, haven't seen much on it here yet with results ect.. I'm going to discuss the flat spot (and a few other small things) when she goes in for the 15000. It just clicked over 10000 yesterday! It's starting to lose that new car smell [FLUSHED FACE]
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:19 pm

good to hear that your happy with it it mate as that's all that matters at the end of the day!! what's the economy like now that you have all the fruit on it?. still reasonable?
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:29 pm

snakesoup wrote:good to hear that your happy with it it mate as that's all that matters at the end of the day!! what's the economy like now that you have all the fruit on it?. still reasonable?

I'm just happy to be back in the dirt, and have the benefit of dragging the family along this time round!

It's down to around 10-11l per 100km,but I haven't really been on to it of late! Bought the eds gage and haven't really got it sorted out yet!! Trying to find a thread on setting it up properly!! I have half a tank to sort it out lol!
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:32 pm

don't think there's anything wrong with that if ya got all the gear on her, nice one mate
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 am

snakesoup wrote:don't think there's anything wrong with that if ya got all the gear on her, nice one mate

Yeah cheers, I'm very happy with it! I got it on a novated lease so the fuel isn't really an issue :)

At the moment I have all the gear on it, plus about 40kg of tools, two 20kg water containers, and around 100kg of weight plates. The ride is smooth in the rear, and it still higher in the rear :)
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Just got my fuel statement for the past 3 months and worked out my usage.

Since getting the fuel card in late December I have used 871 liters, and traveled 8200 kms.

Breaks down as 10.62L per 100km average.

This figure had two tanks without the bar work and canopy, but has included three decent trips away towing a 1600kg van plus 4 people and luggage (at least 1000km of towing). Very happy with the figures!

The most fuel I have put in at a fill is 66ltrs, and this was pushing the fuel gauge to flashing on the last bar, and a good 40 or 50km once flashing. Average fill is 55 ltrs. God it's good to have a fuel account to look back on!

Have noticed the last three tanks were from a local BP that doesn't have the ultimate diesel. Today I filled up with the BP ultimate diesel and I can't believe the difference! My daily trip is the same with plenty of hills and today I was not needing to drop back to 5th (or 4th) where I usually would to keep up the 100/110km speed! It's no race fuel, but God it felt smoother! Will be good to see what a few tanks of this stuff do to the economy!

I think someone should start a "what fuel economy are you getting from you MQ thread" like the MN boys have ;)
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:32 pm

yep good idea tasc, good to hear the feedback mate,
ps if you want to keep the economy your getting now then don't put bigger and wider tyres on !! keep what you have already lol
if mq is anything like the mn, the big tyres really suck the guts out of them !
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:55 pm

snakesoup wrote:yep good idea tasc, good to hear the feedback mate,
ps if you want to keep the economy your getting now then don't put bigger and wider tyres on !! keep what you have already lol
if mq is anything like the mn, the big tyres really suck the guts out of them !

Yeah cheers for the heads up :)

I'll most likely get a second set of rims with 'play' tyres and keep the stockies for normal everyday driving! Plenty of bargains to be had in Gumtree ect
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:41 pm

To say I'm not happy is an understatement!! [ANGRY FACE]

Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 pm

oh shit what did ya hit ??
snakesoup

Postby Dunga71 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:07 pm

bugger,feel ya pain
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:46 pm

I went into an underground carpark, that showed a height of 2.2 meters. My ute including canopy racks is only 2.05. I went in knowing the height was good yet, their nice hump at the start pushed the arse end up into the concrete roof bringing me to a stop! Then I had to back out which caused the racks to push through the alloy sheet and bend over!

Brought the issue up with the owner of the building who seemed very disinterested in the fact that my vehicle hit his roof yet is 15cm lower than their signed height! Refused (over the phone) to provide his insurance information and stated I will just have to deal with it!

I don't think I can accept negligence on my part for this one! I checked the height of their carpark, and I know the height of ute, I should have been able to drive in without issue!

I notified my insurance company at this stage buy haven't commenced a claim as yet. They are giving me the time to go and get an evaluation to assess whether the repair cost is more than the excess, and then make the decision on whether to proceed!

Anyone here work with Aluminium that could assist with a repair cost estimate?

I will go back to the makers (MW toolbox) to see why they can do also
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:52 pm

can ya show us a pic from the inside mate?mmight give a better idea of damage
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Here are a couple pics (sorry they are shit, but my camera is crap and I had to use the front selfie camera )

Tasc4life

Misty - my MQ Glx

Postby snakesoup on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:28 pm

does the 50x50 SHS from the rack go all the way down yo the floor does it ? or are they short legs? it's kind of hard to tell,
if they go all the way down then it would be a pain if they are only short Stubbs then I'd say it wouldn't be to costly a repair, your best bet would be to take it to the mob that built it as they would know where the ally is stitched etc and would be able to fix it up without go much hassle
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:20 pm

snakesoup wrote:does the 50x50 SHS from the rack go all the way down yo the floor does it ? or are they short legs? it's kind of hard to tell,
if they go all the way down then it would be a pain if they are only short Stubbs then I'd say it wouldn't be to costly a repair, your best bet would be to take it to the mob that built it as they would know where the ally is stitched etc and would be able to fix it up without go much hassle

Yeah sorry, the pics are terrible! The SHS is only welded on top of the canopy, right in the corner (doesn't come right through and meet the floor). From what I can make of it, the top sheet will need to be either entirely replaced, or partially replaced. The only issue is the top sheet is folded over to make a channel for the water to run off on both sides. The piano hinge for both side doors is attached there also.

I have sent them an email so hopefully someone is on over the weekend to have a look :)

Cheers :)
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 pm

if that's the case they should just be able to cut a section out of the roof sheet in the corners and weld a new piece in rather than replace the whole sheet, but it really is hard to tell from the pics mate, but good luck ! it really hurts when your pride n joy gets banged up!
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:25 pm

snakesoup wrote:if that's the case they should just be able to cut a section out of the roof sheet in the corners and weld a new piece in rather than replace the whole sheet, but it really is hard to tell from the pics mate, but good luck ! it really hurts when your pride n joy gets banged up!

Yeah thanks mate, I hope so! Cheers

I was devastated! Still have to work out whether I'm willing to wear it or should push the matter with the business! The guy was a massive wanker about it!

What pisses me off is I only went back to the place because the guys at repco left two 50 cent clips out of my reversing camera kit I had just bought! Because it was raining I went to pull in underneath! If it was from my own stupidity that caused it I could wear it, but It wasn't! I trusted the signs that showed a height I normally fit under easily!

It is still burning me up (if you couldn't tell) Lol!
Tasc4life

Postby snakesoup on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:12 am

yeah def worth following it up ! like you said there signage was wrong, might pay to go to exactly where you hit and measure it too just to double check that your in the right ;-)
snakesoup

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:20 am

snakesoup wrote:yeah def worth following it up ! like you said there signage was wrong, might pay to go to exactly where you hit and measure it too just to double check that your in the right ;-)

Yeah I will, I don't doubt the height would be 2.2 from floor to ceiling, it's just not 2. 2 when your back wheels are on top of the hump!
Tasc4life

Postby bodia on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:56 am

I had this issue with a ramp at the underground carpark at a new Perth hospital. What I found was that the object I hit was the right height but my vehicle effectively became higher due to the angle of the vehicle and the overhang backwards behind the rear wheels. In my case I bent their sign so just let them know over the intercom but they didn't appear to care either. This is probably a dualcab only issue as most other vehicles don't have a great rear overhang (patrol utes would definitely have this issue)
bodia

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 am

bodia wrote:I had this issue with a ramp at the underground carpark at a new Perth hospital. What I found was that the object I hit was the right height but my vehicle effectively became higher due to the angle of the vehicle and the overhang backwards behind the rear wheels. In my case I bent their sign so just let them know over the intercom but they didn't appear to care either. This is probably a dualcab only issue as most other vehicles don't have a great rear overhang (patrol utes would definitely have this issue)

Yeah I agree, the height of my ute becomes the height of wheel to furthest point of the canopy, not straight up and down.

The point i was trying to get across to him is that the sign says 'parking 2.2 meters', It doesn't say 2.2 but not if your back end over hangs your back wheels because there is a hump in the ground that will change things...

Hopefully it's an easy repair and I'll just wear to save the hassle, and never trust a sign again!!
Tasc4life

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups