Mashy's 07 Single Cab build (budget+++)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Mashy's 07 Single Cab build (budget+++)

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:22 am

Rightio, after being in this forum for around 3-4 years I thought I might aswell start a build thread.

The build has been on a tight budget so a few of you may be able to get some ideas if you're in the same boat.

Here it is the day I picked it up, roughly 90,000ks and only mods were glx-r alloys, sidesteps and that ugly genuine mitsi bullbar.
Click to view larger picture

I wasn't really into 4wding back then so the only thing I done was chuck some light force spotties on that I had laying around.

Still did a few good trips, best was from Newcastle NSW through Broken Hill, to Elliston SA and Lake Gairdner. Then Great Ocean Rd back to NSW.

More to come...
Mashine13

Re: Mashy's 07 Single Cab build (budget+++)

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 am

Back on the east coast and the mods started, very slowly but they started. Tigerz11 snorkel set me back $120 and has lasted the last 4 years no worries. Also had the bfg all terrains put on, never again will I go that tyre.

Next up was suspension. For the front I already had ironman front struts with standard springs so I thought I could get away with just chucking some ultimate coils on, didnt work for some reason and ended up bending the shock shaft so much it had about 10mm play at the top when I wobbled it. So swapped them out for ultimate struts aswell, all up around $550ish.

The rear is a mixed setup aswell. Stock rear leaves reset at 2in and ironman shocks aswell. I don't carry weight so they're perfect for me, $170 for the reset and $140 for the shocks.

Threw some Hankook dynapro mts on at the same time in 265/75/16.

Lift in

Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:02 pm

Forgot to mention I also ditched the sidesteps, not by choice, they got ripped off while trying to get over a steep hill.

After more research on here I thought bash plates were the next mod. So $15 for a sheet of 3mm mild steel checkerplate and a carton for a sheet metal mate, had these bent up from the CAD drawings on here.

I literally use to check Gumtree/eBay daily for bargains and it paid off. Picked up a front lokka for $275 and a Chip It Injection Module for $100. The Chip went straight in with a $20 boost gauge and a free boost controller off a mate. Wound it up to around 20psi and now barely see any smoke, gotta be careful though as it limps if I go over 21psi.

The lokka Sat on the bench for nearly two years so I'll get to the install later. Next I tried my hand at making some sliders from the CAD drawing on here again. Got this far then they got put on the back burner aswell.

Safety footwear as always. Can't weld but can grind.
Mashine13

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:03 pm

I like the single cabs- and that looks like a good truck 8-)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 pm

She stayed the same for a while with work busy and also having a young boy on the way. Still got a heap of 4wding in and it really performed well the way it was setup.

Copeton Dam

Killy loop near Newcastle
Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:14 pm

I clocked it up to around 170,000kms and I thought it's time for a manifold clean. Again seen on Gumtree a new manifold in my area for $400, couple of weeks later $300, another couple of weeks it was down to $60 so I snapped it up. From what I'd read the longest part is cleaning the old manifold so I didn't even have to worry, just slapped the new one in. I did have a blank plate in since maybe 120,000 and most of the driving had been highway k's so it wasn't actually that bad.

Baby on the way and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to keep the ute. Boy did my eyes light up when I spotted an anchor point behind the seat! Airbags were also selectable so it was a goer.

Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Sadly I got a call from my brother saying he'd sunk his triton up to the glovebox on redhead beach so I went out and we had to snatch him out. Took an 80 series and myself snatching in tandem to get him up some of the sandhills. It was pretty sad days but we got a tow truck to my place where the assessor had a look and said it's a write off. None of his mods were on his policy so the assessor said if you want to, take them off.
So out of my brothers misfortune/silly driving I scored a ARB Deluxe bar, grande mk2 winch, DEA straight through 3in exhaust and some SSW Cliffs 16x8 with 285/75/16 Hankook dynapro mts.

Had to change the whole front grill including headlights and a few mounting brackets but it was well worth it.

Definitely looking the part now.

Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Did a one inch body lift just so that the sliders sit a bit higher when I eventually put them on. Took all of about an hour with help from a mate to install it, it was really straight forward being a single cab. After about a year from when I started them, I finally got the slider on.

Theyve copped a flogging so far, and only cost about $100 for the steel.

Even got used as our wedding car!

Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 pm

I was on the lookout for new longer rear shocks and heard someone was running 60series cruiser shocks on the rear. There was also a thread which helped me out on here with the lengths of the stock/ultimate shocks so I jumped on eBay and found these.

Off to test the flex :)

Not bad for stock springs
Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:43 pm

My last mod that I've done is the 4wdsystems lokka. I was nervous about putting it in, wondering whether I should get someone to do it or not but just simply didn't have the coin. Found an install thread on here and it look straight forward enough. Armed with a dial gauge and some feelers, I ripped in.

With a little help

Also the kangaroo jack is not holding the front up, I've got two jack stands plus a trolley jack just incase.

Diff out, bloody heavy lifting by yourself

All these paperweights inside my diff

With the lokka (magic) installed

Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Like everyone I've got no idea how these lokkas work but they really do. Could hear it clicking when doing the test but on the tracks I can't hear a thing.

It's allowed me to do much harder tracks without the speed and bounce which is really important with a 14month old in the front.

That's pretty much it for now. The future plans are a full touring canopy setup which will probably require new leaves and dual batteries. A rear winch is an idea but the hand winch will suffice for now. Another thing I've been looking into is a Kaiser locker for the rear. Read good things about them but that'll be a while down the track.
Mashine13

Postby c-dale on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:56 pm

Nice work mate and great effort on the lokka. Mines been on the shelf for over r years now. It'll get installed at some point :oops:

Keen to see your plans and ideas for the canopy too.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mashine13 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:40 am

Couple of pics from a recent trip around the NSW mid coast. Some pretty gnarly hills around the area, great views too!

Mashine13

Postby Mashine13 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:44 am

Short video of a hill up Queens Lake, anyone know how to get the YouTube links to work properly?

https://youtu.be/ftxnMC3JAEo
Mashine13

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:18 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Return to Member Build Ups