Thanatos' MQ build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Thanatos' MQ build

Postby Thanatos on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi everybody,

First post on the forums, be gentle. So I've just picked my new MQ GLS dual cab manual yesterday and have been really impressed so far. Would have spent 2 months looking at the alternatives in the 4wd dual cab market but just kept coming back to the Triton, great value and packed with features. At a good $10-15k cheaper than some of the alternatives so it turned out to be an easy choice! Also my first 4WD so I can stop being the passenger on trips from now on.

It's still missing quite few things that are on order with ARB but so far here it is with just the amazing dealer accessories:
-rubber floor mats
-window tint
-paint protection
-transmission protection panel
-neoprene seatcovers

It's on the waiting list for an ARB Canopy, Summit Bullbar, Summit Rear Step/Towbar, Roller Drawers/floors in the back and a Tubliner. Will wait and see on a lift kit once I know what everything weighs and how far it droops with stock suspenson. Also have plans for a double DIN GPS replacement of the stereo, dual battery setup and have a UHF in box waiting for me to get the motivation to install it.

Am looking for some advice on tyres, the dealer has thrown in a set of 5 16" steelies and I'm either going to fit those with some bigger rubber to put on when needed, or just something more reasonable on the 17" alloys like 265/70 and leave them on for good. Any thoughts?

Should be getting out to the Goolwa beach for a trip to the Murray Mouth on the weekend with a few other guys. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself or the Triton too much :) either way it'll be good fun and I'll post more pics up soon.

Click to view larger picture

Cheers,
Kyle (Thanatos)
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Re: Thanatos' MQ build

Postby Thanatos on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:59 pm

The browser on my Tablet is not displaying those pics too well. Do they look ok to everyone else?
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby schilgsy on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Nice ute mate. Can't get better value for money.
You will love the summit bullbar, best on the market but I am bias because I have one.
Good choice waiting till all the accessories are fitted before suspension mods, some people jump in and get suspension fitted first because it looks cool in the carpark and then complain about it after they fit bars and winch and canopy etc.
As for it's off the showroom capabilities, I picked mine up at 5 on a Friday arvo, drove home, fitted 2 storage boxes, bolted on my mud tyres from my previous Triton and spent the weekend in Newnes at Lithgow, surprised the crap out of everyone.
It was nicknamed the barbie car initially because of the flash chrome grill and spotless appearance but quickly earned respect when i followed the Toyotas wherever they went.

30 000klms on mine and like it more everyday.

When it comes to tyres I like having choices, I have good quality all terrains for the everyday and a set of cheap but capable muds for the weekend. Of course it comes down to the best tyres your budget allows(although most expensive doesn't mean the best). I have been running Toyo at2 s on and off road for the last 15 000klms and highly recommended them.

Oh and the pics are fine when clicked on, samsung mobile.
schilgsy

Postby Sapient on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Nice rig Thanatos, went the hero blue huh!?

Stick with this crowd mate and you will learn all the right do's and dont's, not only about Tritons but also 4Wding, life, the universe and everything! :D
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thanatos on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks guys. Yep I thought the blue was the pick of colours, my previous ute was orange so I needed something bright to replace it with!

So I managed to not get myself bogged on the beach today. Was really impressed with it in the sand even totally stock like is. Here's a couple of photos of it parked at the Murray Mouth with a few other Triton's.

I think I might do the same with tyres schilgsy, put some big rubber on the steel rims and just keep the stock tyres until worn out on the alloys. Then replace them with some good all terrain tyres.
Thanatos

Postby snakesoup on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:41 pm

how did she go on the sand in direct comparison to the mn's? any better or worse ? or hard to call it
snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:42 pm

by the way she looks real nice.. some chunky rubber would look unreal, great color choice.
snakesoup

Postby Thanatos on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Hard to tell but it sort of just 'looked' to be doing it easier. Back in reality though - it supposedly has something like 25% more torque at 1500rpm which was noticeable and made for less gear changes.
Thanatos

Return to Member Build Ups