Merts' MQ GLS Auto

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Merts' MQ GLS Auto

Postby Merts on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:44 am

Fitted a Travel Buddy 12V oven. These things are awesome btw.

buddyweb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 am

Nice rig there mertz

With your 6x4 trailer, did you sort the levelling.

We had a trailer years ago that looked like a lab dragging its arse down the nature strip. When bought, the axle was overslung on the springs. We refitted it underslung and all was sorted.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 am

Yeah. I finished up getting a hitch made up with a 120mm drop, which suits my off-road hybrid camper perfectly.

With nothing on the ball, or the lightly loaded 6x4, the tongue sits at 450mm from the ground, which is (just) legal for a tow ball. I now have light truck tyres with a slightly higher profile on the 6x4 and it sits very close to level.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Good looking rig & mod's mert's.
How are the Supertrim Neoprene's holding up & how were they in the warmer weather ?
Cheers
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby Merts on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:54 am

Ray57MQ wrote:Good looking rig & mod's mert's.
How are the Supertrim Neoprene's holding up & how were they in the warmer weather ?
Cheers

After 21k kms and about 12 months, there is just the slightest hint of wear on the driver's seat cover where my fat bum slides over the edge of the seat when I get in and out. Just the surface of the fabric very slightly 'fuzzy' in a small patch. The rest of them looks like brand new.

When I bought these, the bloke who sells them told me they have a new and better material than the previous set I bought for my Pajero. The fabric on the face of the rubber has a more coarse appearance and doesn't feel quite as hot under your backside in the hot weather. I found them pretty comfortable, even on the hottest days last summer.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:23 am

Merts wrote:
Ray57MQ wrote:Good looking rig & mod's mert's.
How are the Supertrim Neoprene's holding up & how were they in the warmer weather ?Cheers

After 21k kms and about 12 months, there is just the slightest hint of wear on the driver's seat cover where my fat bum slides over the edge of the seat when I get in and out. Just the surface of the fabric very slightly 'fuzzy' in a small patch. The rest of them looks like brand new.
When I bought these, the bloke who sells them told me they have a new and better material than the previous set I bought for my Pajero. The fabric on the face of the rubber has a more coarse appearance and doesn't feel quite as hot under your backside in the hot weather. I found them pretty comfortable, even on the hottest days last summer.

ok, cheers - might get a set at the next 4wd camping show.
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby Merts on Thu May 25, 2017 6:38 am

Had a Harrop E-locker fitted in the rear diff.
lockerswitchweb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Merts on Thu May 25, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 am

Took the opportunity to remove the plough (aka mass damper) at the same time. So far can't feel any difference. Will be doing a couple of hundred kms on the open road over the next couple of days, so that should show up any issues.
diffweb.jpg
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2014mn on Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Hey Merts,

Curious as to the price for the locker..... I have the MN model and have been looking around at my new mod....
2014mn

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Be like a full castration getting rid of that mass, Mertz. :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 am

2014mn wrote:Hey Merts,

Curious as to the price for the locker..... I have the MN model and have been looking around at my new mod....

$1,728 for the locker, plus around $600 for fitting, including running the wiring and installing a switch in the dash.
I went for an AOB switch to match the factory ones rather than using the one that Harrop supply.
I don't have the invoice handy, but from memory I think the total damage was about $2,340

Could have gone for an ARB air locker for about $1,500 fitted as I already have an on board compressor, but in the end I decided the e-locker was a better product.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 am

RHKTriton wrote:Be like a full castration getting rid of that mass, Mertz. :lol:

Indeed. :?

I haven't weighed it, but I'd reckon it's a good two or three kilos, and whilst it doesn't hang any lower than the bottom of the diff, the way it angles down means it works like a plough, digging into the ground. I haven't had the MQ on sand yet, but I'd reckon that thing would be a real problem.

I've done a few hundred kms since removing it, and I can't feel any vibrations or anything different to how it was before.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm

I did this a fair while ago, but didn't post any pics at the time. Another thread about sealing the tailgate on the MQ reminded me that I'd done mine. Basically it was a matter of attaching some aluminium plate and adding pinchweld rubber seal from Clarke Rubber.
IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Neat job there Mertz
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Fitted Bushskinz intercooler and sump plates.

bashplatesdoc.jpg
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Fitted the brand new Darche Eclipse 270 awning.
IMG_0882.JPG
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 am

She looks really good merts, in the above photo where you've taken the mass damper out, I wonder it just me or quite abit of oil thrown around underneath?
Jason91

Postby Merts on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:37 am

Jason91 wrote:She looks really good merts, in the above photo where you've taken the mass damper out, I wonder it just me or quite abit of oil thrown around underneath?

It's just from when the diff housing was pulled apart to install the locker.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Earthmover on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Merts,
Nice rig!
I'm looking into the rear E Locker for my MQ GLS auto, seems to be two options to order for the MQ?

-28 Spline Diff Centre with 9.0" Crownwheel
-31 Spline Diff Centre with 9.5" Crownwheel

Don't suppose you remember which one suited your GLS?
Cheers
Earthmover

Postby Merts on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Can't remember off the top of my head mate. I left it to my mechanic to order and fit it, so I didn't have to work out which one was suited to the MQ.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Earthmover on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks mate, I should probably do the same haha
Looks to be a good bit of gear, I've found the MQ pretty capable but there's been a few hairy moments at work I've had to back back down some gnarly hills with a fuel trailer because the traction control couldn't quite keep it all together.
Cheers
Earthmover

Postby Merts on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Yeah. I've found the traction control is pretty good, but like all, of them, it's reactive. Now that I have the locker, if I'm doing a steep and/or slippery bit of track, I put it on before I necessarily need it. It often turns what would have been a difficult climb into a pretty easy one. My tyres thank me too.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Earthmover on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Sounds like a good investment, and like anything you get what you pay for, nothing wrong with the cheaper air lockers but the E Locker seems like it would be rock solid and reliable.
Earthmover

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups