Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Diff Lock. Is it worth having on the new Triton?

If it has traction and Stability control surely it will apply brakes to slipping wheel until wheel with traction starts turning. Just like a diff locker. Am I right or am I horribly wrong?
They also come with MATT - Mitsub All Terain Technology. With center diff locked. Whats that mean? Salemen know jack about the technicalities of these cars. They can only tell you if it has blue tooth or cruise control.

I know its only a $700 option but is it needed or effective given the electronics fitted probally replicate a diff locker???

Please help me I am about to order a GLX-R and unsure whether to spend the $700.

Cheers
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 pm

go out and buy 4wd custom utes no 8 - they have a stock MN GLX-R and they do a series of runs with and without the diff-lock and compare what the traction control can achieve. quite an interesting read. they were very surprised at just how capable the stock Triton with factory tyres was with the traction control doing its stuff.

that said if I had my time over I'd probably grab the diff lock. the reality is that if you don't get it now you'll never be able to get it for $700 later. also you may well talk them down a bit from $700 if you play your cards right.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Cheers Dave. Love your work. Im going to source a copy of 4 wd custom utes no 8. now.

Has anyone got any other opinions or ideas on how these electronics work over a diff locker?
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:21 pm

mate if you search on diff lock you'll see that this is a bit of a perennial question. Usually the consensus is something along the lines of - if you plan on going anywhere serious offroad then you'd be mad not to grab the locker. If you're just using it as a daily driver or a tow vehicle or just the odd spot of dirt road stuff then you won't miss it. If you're the sort of guy who is going to stick muddies on it, or head into the sand dunes or across a desert somewhere then you should grab it.

The Triton is a very capable truck in stock form but if you're going to be hanging around this forum you won't be keeping it stock for long .... 8-) 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby trouble on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:24 pm

get the diff lock cheapest one you will get considering ARB quoted me $1700 fitted for a front one.............................should have just bitten the bullet and got arrrggghh! :twisted:
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby al coholic on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:24 pm

A bit of reading in >>>THIS THREAD<<< matey........knock yourself out 8-)

If you get the locker........you loose the lsd in the rear diff for normal driving. If you do lots of off roading then the diff lock at that price is an absolute steal compared to aftermarket ones ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:25 pm

He He!! Want to do some serious off road work but shes going to be my work ute 95% of the time. Guess 7 hunge isnt too much to ask... $2K later on down the track if I want it eh. ;)
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby Steane on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:28 pm

At $700 it's about the cheapest locker option out there - I wouldn't hesitate in ticking that box. When the electronics crap themselves, the locker will be there to keep you warm and whisper sweet nothings in your ear... :? Unless the compressor fails...

Lot's of opinions on here about lockers and electronic aids. IMO the locker will always allow you to tackle tough terrain at the slowest possible speed, and that means potentially less damage. The electronic doodads are very clever, but I'd rather subscribe to K.I.S.S than M.A.T.T

Check this thread out http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4580&p=68223&hilit=diff+lock+traction+control#p68223
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:31 pm

^^^^[censored]...I fluffed around on search looking for that old thread and a hundred responses lobbed in. Beat me to it al... :lol: :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 pm

:D :D :) :) ;) ;) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Dont you hate those ones..........trust me its normally me in your shoes when you have Joe, 26 and Homer all on line at once............. :? Swear those guys memorise every single thread.

PS........I had to search a bit too ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Bugger, I never knew it was such a can of worms. I bet it gets opened often eh??!!!

Loved the thread Al. Cheers.

This is the info i was looking for. Seems as though there is still some debate. Like the sound of the locker whispering sweet nothings in my ear at night. mmmmm.

Still a bit of debate but. Wish there was an obvious easy answer.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Diff Locks benefits
by bendoon on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 pm

The MN GLR or GLXR with traction control does not have a LSD diff if you read the fine print in the broucher. Dont know if this is true for sure. I have a GLXR dual cab on order, i got diff lock as an option because with traction control off i think you will need diff lock. If you turn your diff lock on your traction control goes off. If you read the latest overlander they say the traction control works better then the diff lock because traction control works on all four wheels. Hope this imfo is of some use.bendoon

Private message

Any Ideas on whether this is true??? Have a serious 4x4 mate and he had a Jeep with TC. Reckons it was sweeeet as. Just went and went.
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby ag9111 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Ive got the mn with a diff lock. As good as all the electronis doodads are they bogged us in the sand of the simpson. Diff lock on drove staraight out. Saying that the missus wasnt paying attention and throw us into a 50kph corner at 110 kph on the dirt on the odnadatta track. The stability control cut in and I could feel it working. Sure saved our ass that day.
Glad I've got the best of both worlds. Best $700 I spent on the ute. :D
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 pm

They both have there benifits. In sand or mud, the traction control sucks as it limits the power when you need wheel speed. In rocks works great.
If I had to have one or the other I would go for the diff lock every time.
Used it heaps on the Merricumbene fire trail which is very steep tracks on loose shale. No wheel spin, no tyre damage, control all the way. I could feel the engine being limited by the traction control all the time. ASC off. Diff lock on, control over speed and spin, beautiful. :D :D
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QueenslandeR on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:00 am

diff lock just do it
QueenslandeR

Postby SkIp on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:08 am

If I had my time again I would have got the locker (young and dumb I guess!)
I copped up the 2k and got an air locker and its the best thing I ever put on it besides mud tyres.

So hard spending money ay ;)
SkIp

Postby Joe on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:43 am

After being at LCMP last weekend with a number of Triton (admittedly all MLs) some with and some without rear diff locks I had a good chance to see what a difference it makes. In my opinion, there are simply some place a non locked ML will not go unless you want to drive it fast and bash the shit out of it.

Two instances stand out for me. We watched fridgie (locked) make it up a very difficult section (just) which had been attempted the day before by 4wd26 and myself (both locked) and then Brett05 (unlocked but LSD) attempted the same section only to make it about half has far as 26 and myself. Further down the track at the end of Camp Road is steep wombat hole section. Everyone who attempted this with the locker made it with relative ease whilst everyone who attempted with out the locker could not make it even to the start of the hill.

This is were a locker really helps.
Click to view larger picture
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Brett05 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:19 am

Yep I second that Joe,
On Sunday where you, fridgie and Diablo went through. I was so surprised how easy you guys got through there. I knew before I had a go at it, that I wasn't going to make it....but gave it a shot, just to see what it would do. The two things I got out of that little attempt was
: 1...diff locks are a must : 2 ...I got my Queenslander Salute whilst giving it a go.
Diablo's mate in the Prado and myself were watching you guys go through there and saying how easier they made it with the locks....then you go and do an encore performance......"bastard"

Speaking of bastards, I'll have to upload the vid I took of Fridgie going through that cutting

Brett
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby fridgie on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 am

^^^ yes please :mrgreen:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby kevin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:07 am

Get the locker! It's then covered by the 10 year powertrain warranty whereas Mitsui would give you grief with an aftermarket locker.

My MN was already here and I then asked if they could fit the locker - nope, only fitted in the factory I was told. (bugger!)
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:43 am

Go the locker. I had to wait a couple of months to get a GLX-R with one.

Having used my locker on a greasy, very steep downhill section of a track recently again confirmed just how handy this device is in these situations. Especially so when a Prado ahead of me slid sideways, hit a diagonal washout and nearly rolled the thing. What saved him was the impact of the hit broke the traction at the front which slid forwards getting 4 wheels on terra firma again pointing downhill.

Go the locker for $700 you wont regret it 8-) .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:18 pm

i agree with Garth - if you can get both why wouldn't you..........

if you only have the choice of one go the locker......

i just wish they had a DL option for the front as well......... :D :D :D :D

if you KNOW you never intend to go off road....then go the LSD.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TAXTRUCK on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Im all for the locker, have a mn with the safety pack plus locker. Dont pay the extra 700 hundred just squeeze the dealer and make hime throw it in. Worked for me. When activated it turns all the other electronic aids off including ABS... Gold in steep muddy conditions!
TAXTRUCK

Postby Mattstruck on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Cheers lads. only problem is I cant get the colour I want with a diff lock. Would need to wait 2 months. So now I have to get another colour with DF or my charcoal without...

Why is life so imperfect damn it.

Seems DL is a pretty popular item and highly recommended.

Anyone have any ideas on the M.A.T.T system? What is it? Whats it do?
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Postby Kegsy on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:32 pm

I went the LSD.

Given the amount of road kms I do, for me the LSD was a must have. Im one of those guys who hates a single spinner, especially in the wet. If I had gone an auto with the super-select awd feature I would have gone the difflock.

I will be locking the front diff eventually though. I know thats not a perfect situation, but better than nothing. I do mostly touring / camping type stuff anyway, not massively hard trails.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I had no idea what I was going to do with mine when I bought her, but after joining here and going on a few trips the bug bit and I'm SO glad I went the diff lock option :D

It just makes it that much easier when learning what to do and has saved my butt so many times now. ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Next

Return to Drive Train Components