Re: Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Postby Stevo8 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Tex
top post might have a go at a catch can now myself :D
Stevo8

Postby Homer on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:58 am

Good post Tex :D

OK guys we don't want to lock this one as Tex would like to edit it as info becomes available, but we would like to ask you to refrain from posting here if possible to maintain the integrity of the info and also stop it from going too many pages and losing the important info.

There are links to the appropriate threads for you to make any comments you would like to.

We will delete posts made here and may have to lock it if this isn't complied with.

Thanks,

Homer
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby lazarus on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Great post Tex, just a bit of correction

Click to view larger picture

as shown on the picture for 2.5 l MN (which I actually shot :) ), you said blank should go to the center of the picture just below EGR valve, BUT heaps of other users, mechanics and experienced guys on this forum said and recommended that blanking plate should go to the left of the location you described, just under that steel heat shield

I have it there for the past 11 000 km and not a single limp since install, no 6mm hole
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

I agree with lazarus :)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby willyd on Tue May 17, 2011 6:18 pm

+is this the 3.2 or 2.5 engine
willyd

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 17, 2011 6:32 pm

both, although the stuff about the modified manifold is probably only pertinent to the 3.2 IIRC.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby dan.batto on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:39 pm

not sure if this is the right topic to put it in but has anyone bought the provent kit off ebay? does it include everything? I believe the hoses can be hard to source hence why I am thinking of the kit but again are their hoses any good?
Thanks!
dan.batto

Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Postby Crash486 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:14 pm

I bought the kit from e-bay with the included hoses. They are good quality hoses as far as I can see and the kit includes reducers and two packets of hose clamps.
Crash486

Postby dan.batto on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Cheers mate, bought the kit myself today! Triton went in or the manifold replacement! Got the valve adjustment done at same time! Runs like a new one!! Amazing!
dan.batto

Postby s13tsilvia on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 am

dan.batto wrote:Cheers mate, bought the kit myself today! Triton went in or the manifold replacement! Got the valve adjustment done at same time! Runs like a new one!! Amazing!

hey mate, i see your in rowville, which dealer did you send it to for the new manifold?? did you have any problems with them when explaining the issue to em? pm me if you dont want to list it our loud.
s13tsilvia

Postby Crash486 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:25 pm

One thing the kit is missing is a tap. Another thread suggested it may be found at Bunnings, an hour round trip so when I head that way I'll check.
Crash486

Postby dan.batto on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Manifold replaced under warranty and have installed my catch can tonight! Thanks for the info guys and a massive thanks to Mattz! Who told me what to do after eildon trip and also I sent him a couple of messages the other day without knowing of what is going on with him an his family an he was happy to reply. So thanks mate!

Edit: keep confusing myself with how it's suppose to be plumbed up so can some one confirm I have done it correctly?!?! Thanks in advance
dan.batto

Postby elmpty on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi guys,
I have a 2009 built (bought new early this year) 2.5 with eng model 4D56
Ive only done 13000 k's, I havent noticed any issues as yet, but is this something i should worry about and should I put preventative measures in now before issues start, such as a catch can?
Also ive looked up provent pcv filters and cant find this brand on ebay, where can i find them?
Cheers
elmpty

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:30 pm

I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby elmpty on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Cheers mate, feel like a goose right now :oops:
elmpty

Postby mlee76 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Had the manifold done under warranty at 60000Km put a catch can on at the same time. Checked the maifold now at 105000Km and this is what I found. Some carbon with oil where the egr valve enters the manifold. As you progress toward the right angle bend in the top pipe the carbon gets drier. In the bend there is not much carbon and it is relatively dry. In the lower manifold it is dry with only a thin black lining on the walls. I have no egr blank and had no SS wool in the catch can (put some in today). Over the past 40000Km I have removed about a cup and a half of oil from the catch can. Will be interesting to see if the ss wool makes the can work more efficiently. Did all this on my way to checking valve clearances. Will post my findings on this on another thread.
mlee76

Postby NTBB on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:40 am

Just som pic's of my Ml 3.2 @ 73k
I had a ecutek tune at 40k that was to write most of the egr out... :roll:
I cleaned the intake out @ 40k

My intake looks like my exhaust.... :evil:

This was the last straw and the blanking plate went back in... :|
My ute has had no joy with the plate limp..ect so have done Tony's T/B mod and will see what happens.
Just a note on the hole in T/B shut down is a bit rougher like when you have the T/B unpluged... :|
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:05 pm

NTBB wrote:Just som pic's of my Ml 3.2 @ 73k
I had a ecutek tune at 40k that was to write most of the egr out... :roll:
I cleaned the intake out @ 40k

My intake looks like my exhaust.... :evil:

This was the last straw and the blanking plate went back in... :|
My ute has had no joy with the plate limp..ect so have done Tony's T/B mod and will see what happens.
Just a note on the hole in T/B shut down is a bit rougher like when you have the T/B unpluged... :|

Bloody hell that just confirms my suspicions! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Well i'm just praying the T/B mod pays off Snowy and the rough shut down is a small price to pay....BUT I also have a man and don't have as much dramma trying to stop a runaway motor. The only othe concern is the extra stress it may place on the engine mounts due to the "rock" it gets up, it now shuts down like my HILUX....... :lol: :lol: :oops:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:24 am

NTBB wrote:Well i'm just praying the T/B mod pays off Snowy and the rough shut down is a small price to pay....BUT I also have a man and don't have as much dramma trying to stop a runaway motor. The only othe concern is the extra stress it may place on the engine mounts due to the "rock" it gets up, it now shuts down like my HILUX....... :lol: :lol: :oops:

It's shutting down with some air so makes more compression in effect + will run on any oil deposits.... Wont hurt to much, more an annoyance... I haven't noticed this as such on my 2.5 :? . I ran with out the plate for a wile too. Curious now :roll: Maybe the 3.2's rock more due to extra displacement. Just a thought, wonder if your getting some oil leak down? If its running on a bit is possible.

Some one will likely chime in and say the TB mod will possibly shorten the life or jump the timing chain 3.2/ belt 2.5 and cause the primary side of transmission harm. :roll: Yet to be proven as we're all still in the early stages of ironing the bugs out of these great little engines.

What size hole do you have in the TBP?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Here you go....
throtle plate.jpg

If you do this, is a good idea to remove the TB wile drilling so swarfs dont end up in the intake, dont remove the flap alone for drilling as risk of the bolts falling out latter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WhityTrity on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 am

Hi All

With that catch can are you fitting an oil return from the bottom of the filter. I can't seem to see it in any of the pictures. If so where are you connecting it to?

Thanks
WhityTrity

Postby snowman on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 am

WhityTrity wrote:Hi All

With that catch can are you fitting an oil return from the bottom of the filter. I can't seem to see it in any of the pictures. If so where are you connecting it to?

Thanks

no. here is a photo overview. there is plenty of info on this. word search provent (brand name) or look through the directory link.

dan.batto wrote:Click to view larger picture
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WhityTrity on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for that. Will do the search as suggested.
WhityTrity

Postby dan.batto on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm

I have emptied the tap on my catch can twice now an both times had water come out. I believe this could be from condensation building up in the can. Anyone else had the same? Makes me question what happens to this who have tapped it back to the engine?!

Hope this is in the correct thread. Feel free to move mods ( so many on catch cans etc don't know which one to go to)
dan.batto

Next

Return to Fuel Systems