Fraz's GLX-R - Update! t("t)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Fraz's GLX-R - Update! t("t)

Postby fraz91 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am

started in late January '10 when the dealer delivered the car (they told us it had been organised to be delivered and if we picked it up we wouldn't get the free tank of fuel). came with the MMCS and soft tonneau cover. immediately went to Boat Harbour with a mate's dad and his 100series cruiser.

Click to view larger picture

the first mod on the list was a set of driving lights. as these were needed quite urgently, i pulled into supercheap and got a set for $50. served me well till i upgraded to the Narva's, but that's a story for later. took the car on a 5day trip to Oberon with a heap of mates from scouts. with a full car/tray and trailer i managed a measly 9.5L/100km for the whole trip. only JUST used a whole tank :lol:

next up: Snorkel. did my research and decided the safari snorkel was the best option (despite the price). as i didn't trust myself to drill a 105mm hole in the side of the car, i let the people who do it all the time complete this task. if anyone from sydney remembers the massive rains we had last year (when half of knigsford/kensington flooded) i got the snorkel just before those. was a well timed investment.

then came the first damage. everyone remembers the first real damage they did to their cars, and i'm no exception. while at a mate's farm at night after a couple of tinnies (and light's at that) i came up too quickly out of a riverbed and bounced the tub down on a dirt mound. sadly, made quite a nice dent in the process. later that night i also managed to pull one of the plastic bumper pieces off the stock rear-step towbar.

Away with the stock setup and off to ARB again for their rear-step towbar. after much swearing, drilling and deliberating, the bumper was in place and i managed to bolt it all up. after having bolted one side in place, the only way to get the other bolt-holes to line up was by tying the tow-point to a wall and driving the car forward till they were all in place. not the greatest method, but it worked :lol:

Next to come was the Narva Ultima 175's. they're good enough for what i need, and haven't had a problem with them. wiring was simple enough (got an IPF loom with the original lights).

will be continuing this thread as i get more photos and do more to the car.
Last edited by fraz91 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Re: Fraz's GLX-R

Postby borngeek on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Nice work fraz :D

Seeing your a fellow Sydney boy I keep a eye out for your truck now! ;)

Did the same as you threw away the towbar for the arb. Best thing I ever did!!

//I used to love Boat Harbour but since they slowly closed down all the play areas (now there are none) and the beach is constantly rammed cant justify the gate price.. (what they want $30 for 1km of beach that you can drive in 2wd :roll: )
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:20 pm

borngeek wrote:Nice work fraz :D

Seeing your a fellow Sydney boy I keep a eye out for your truck now! ;)

Did the same as you threw away the towbar for the arb. Best thing I ever did!!

//I used to love Boat Harbour but since they slowly closed down all the play areas (now there are none) and the beach is constantly rammed cant justify the gate price.. (what they want $30 for 1km of beach that you can drive in 2wd :roll: )

totally agree. the guy in the cruiser was one of the guys who was responsible for keeping it open as long as it was. he was continually fighting the sand-miners and greenies to say "it's not 4x4's that are the problem, it's the idiot's that drive them"

whereabouts in sydney are you? will definitely be keeping an eye out for you as well. and yes, the ARB bar was the best decision i've made yet. it's already saved my car's fat a$$ more than once :lol:

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Update:

Since the above, i have fitted an oil catch-can. quite liked my handiwork. have attached it to the airbox, it's in a bit of a precarious spot, but nothing's going to touch it where it is. even managed to use the original hosing from the air-intake to the catch-can :geek:

am taking it back to mitsi tomorrow as there's oil leaking from the rocker-cover (if they try to pin it on the catch-can i'll be highly surprised. will tell them where to stick it if they dont cover it under warranty)

fraz91

Postby MNCruisin on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:21 am

What brand of catch can & where did you get it? Looks a good neat job.
MNCruisin

Postby fraz91 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:57 pm

got the catch-can at the local auto-pro. it's just one they had lying around (literally). had all the parts i needed in it and was cheapish, so wasn't going to complain. haven't checked how much it's caught yet though, but i do know it is working as i pulled one of the inlets out to push some steel scourers in and there was oil in the bottom.

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Latest update: New tyres (finally)

Settled on BFGoodrich All Terrains on recommendation from a good friend's dad (he's had them on his cruiser for 120,000kms and they're still perfectly good without about 2-3mm legal tread left). Went the 265/70/R17's as they put the speedo into check. Fill out the guards quite nicely :lol:

Have to go back tomorrow to get the spare done though, which is a bit of a pain. Car is also going to the stealer to get the SCV/SVC/Swhateveritis fixed as i had a surging issue earlier in the week. Will get them to check the steering controls as well as I've had my volume down only going up quite a few times now. Not fun when you try to change the mode and it asks for a voice command...

fraz91

Postby andyj on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Look good fraz hope you had no problems with the oil leak.....
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby fraz91 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks for the commendations Andy :D

Have received car back from stealer. They've replaced the front crankshaft seal as it's the one that failed. Also replaced the timing belt as it was covered in oil that had been baked on. Overall happy with the work they've done, but don't know if they've fixed the steering wheel yet. Only time will tell I suppose. Am hoping to get a few good shots of it over the easter super-weekend as I'm going down to Belanglo State Forest for scouts and my activity is situated at the top of a nice shale-covered hill :twisted: At least I'll get to test out the new BFG's :lol:

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Mon May 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Update: Have acquisitioned new(er) sidesteps courtesy Cowboy Dave. Put them on the other day. Here's a look at the old vs. the new, see if you can spot the difference :lol:

fraz91

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Yikes. Now I see why you thought mine were in pristine condition :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby helicoptercow on Mon May 23, 2011 5:27 pm

geez dave, hope your planning to give your sliders a bigger workout then those like new side steps :lol: :D

and looking good there fraz, slowly chipping away at the list 8-)

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 am

I'll have to get a pic of mine up when they come :roll: , will make fraz's steps look new :shock: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 pm

So progress has been made, went to Repco to get an oil drain pan and walked out of the ARB next door with a GME TX3100 starter kit :lol: I figured, for $270, that the radio and a basic antennae was a pretty good deal. Have mounted it on the passenger side of the gearstick surrounds. Draws power from the aux. socket in the centre armrest. Also, while I had the centre piece up I figured I'd clean up some of the cables coming out of the side for my phone/music. Drilled a little hole under the aux. point and pushed them through, then punched a hole out of the middle of the cup holder. And now for the photos:
The radio mounted on the side:

Mounting again (Handset stuck on with double sided tape till i find a good spot):

Antenna (will be replaced when i can afford a front bar):

Cup holder with cables poking through:

fraz91

Postby Kegsy on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey mate, your truck looked pretty tuff there at the workshop today. I had a bit of a perve whilst I was there. Definitely made me want to get some new rubber :twisted:

I was going to hunt you down and say G'Day but thought I'd better leave it for another day, didn't want to put ya in the sh!t :lol:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Haha, thanks kegsy!

Must admit, i like your in-car entertainment kit. Couple of the guys at ultimate have the same pioneer setup in their 4runners. That, and the lift kit definitely adds to the car's menace :lol:

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Secured some new Braided brake lines for the triton and boy do they make a difference. Not so noticeable at low speed/light braking, but definitely feel the difference when you have to hit the anchors hard. The ABS kicks in earlier on the pedal-travel and you can feel it working through the pedal. No more mushy feeling under hard braking either. Definitely a worthwhile mod! (That, and re-bleeding the brakes probably made the difference :lol:)

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Newest addition to my Triton is a set of Ultimate Suspension shocks, front and rear. Now you all know that I work there full time nowadays and I'm probably being told to plug the product on here, but I'm honestly not. The difference is hands-down phenomenal. Had the rear shocks on the car for a couple of days before I chucked the fronts in, and you could see the front of the car bouncing up and down whenever I went over a speed-bump and the front of the car would simply continue to bounce for a couple seconds more while the back would settle quickly. Aside from finding out my rear springs are inverted, the whole car handles so much better. Now for the happy snaps:

Rear Shocks and Braided Lines:

Front Braided Lines:

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 am

Stupid thing posted before I'd finished the post :evil:
Last edited by fraz91 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 am

So a lot has happened in the past few months. I've finished the lift kit, swapped the MN tub for the ML, put Ride-Rite Airbags in and pulled them out again, put on the new MCC Jack Bar AND I even managed to clean the car :lol:

Firstly: The Lift Kit.

This is probably one of the most noticeable improvements you can make on any vehicle. Thankfully, working for Ultimate definitely has it's perks :lol: So over the last couple of months I've been slowly going through, changing the different parts of the suspension (firstly rear shocks, then front struts, and finally springs) so that I could learn and understand how much of a vital role each part plays in a well set-up suspension system. Believe me, when you change one part at a time, you definitely notice the difference between the old and new. The car rides much smoother over bumps and corrugations, and has much more flexibility offroad. Definitely happy with the new set-up, especially since I was able to customise it to exactly what I wanted: good on-road handling with LOTS of flex :twisted:

Front Strut (Red Braided Lines in the picture as well):

Next up: The Tub Swap.

I'd seen ag9111 do this to his MN triton and how well it had turned out. Since I'd damaged the rear of my MN tray a few times, I felt it was time to go. The biggest hassle was getting hold of a new tub, but once I'd found it I made the most of that opportunity. Many dollars and man hours later, the tubs had been swapped over from the long MN tray to a short ML tray. I even managed to score the factory GLX-R flares and hard-lid as well! :mrgreen: Installing the new tray wasn't terribly difficult, just undo the 6 bolts holding it on and lift it off with a fork-lift. I've still got the old tray at home, am trying to get rid of it now :lol:
Before:

Mid-swap (This is totally legal to drive around in... right?... right?.... anybody?...) :

After:

It doesn't look like much from those two photos, but it makes one hell of a difference when you're trying to park in a carpark. No more twisting of the head to see how much further you can go before the rear-bar makes contact with the wall behind you. Those of you who are slightly more observant (chopper-bovine) will also notice the new MCC Jack Bar on the back of the car. I didn't like the look of it at first, but I've had it on there for about a week and a half now and I love it. It just looks so mean :twisted:

Finally: The Airbags.

Now this is definitely one of the more controversial topics in the entire of newtriton.net history (aside from the lockers "debate" and the 3.2 vs. 2.5HP war). Honestly, I never had a chance to really use the Airbags properly, but I could definitely tell that they were there. Even with the lowest recommended 5psi in each airbag, they made the car corner stiffer (but only barely). With 10psi in them, the roll when cornering was greatly reduced. They were fitted to the vehicle for the Sydney 4WD and Adventure Show (those of you who went along to the Ultimate Suspension stand would no doubt have seen my truck on display) so that we could tell people that we DO fit them, but only where necessary. For my vehicle, they were a display-only fitment. They have since been removed, though I have no doubt that whoever gets them will be happy with the set-up we've provided. For what they are, they're a fantastic piece of equipment when used properly.

Airbags Installed:

Last but not least: I CLEANED IT! :lol: :lol:

Here's a picture of her as she sits now. Was taken at the 4wd Show, and yes I finally got to use my ramps :lol:

fraz91

Postby Custom Offroad on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

Looking the goods mate! She has one very nice rear end now.....
Bash Plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad accessories......

viewforum.php?f=80
Custom Offroad

Postby motoz on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 pm

It has come together nicely... i'm liking the custom bend side steps... lol

Nothing some cable ties and duct tape couldn't fix !!!

:lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Couple more things have been added to the list: Pro Vent 200 from Western Filters (courtesy my group buy) and Baysie's bash plates.

The ProVent:
After the group buy, I installed the ProVent almost instantly. Having removed my old catch can due to issues with it simply blowing the oil out through the bottom everywhere, I reinstalled the stock PCV hose and then drove the car quite softly until the ProVent was in. No pics of the install (sadly) but it's in the same place as most people have put it (those without the in-engine-bay dual battery that is). Thanks goes out to Slipn for the custom bracket! Definitely made the install a whole lot easier :D

Baysie's Bash Plates:

Again, another MUST HAVE item if you're taking your Triton offroad. In my case, I'd given the original bash plates enough of a work out, and I'd had enough of "remodeling" them. Best part about these bash plates was that my best mate and my girlfriend went halves in them for my birthday! :mrgreen: They got dropped off at work, I painted them black with some crappy spray-paint, and onto the car they went. I was so glad to have gotten them before the Bylong trip, because I'm sure I would have done some serious damage to the underbody components had they not been there.

Yes, they're crappy photos, but you can see that I've already managed to bend them next to the drivers side LCA. :s Not knocking the quality of them, I just drive my car to it's limits 8-)

Also managed to damage my passenger side sill, right where the front and rear doors meet. It's not too bad, but next on the list is DEFINITELY a set of sliders (possibly the AVA ones, I love the look of 4wd26's, though would prefer the bottom plate on them).

Next item to be installed will be the Chip It EGT Controlled DPS Chip. Cannot WAIT to get it and set it up, but will have to wait a little while before setting up the EGT gauge on the factory dump pipe :cry:

fraz91

Postby helicoptercow on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Looking good there fraz, I've missed a few installments :D

Cant believe you went so long before the new bash plates, gave you some confidence at bylong though :lol:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Cheers HC, dunno what you mean about "confidence" at bylong, that's how I always drive it :lol:

Have since fitted up the Chip-It EGT Controller and chip, and boy does it go now... Need to drop it back a tune or 2 as it's blowing a little too much smoke for my liking, but am definitely happy with the results. 8-) Will get the photos of this up tomorrow when I have my car back, which is explained below...

Anyway, today I became a member of the CV Snappers club. Basically, I tried to go up a rock step, got the drivers wheel up, and then went to get the passenger wheel on top and BANG... :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :?

At first I thought I'd done either the rear diff or the driveshaft, because the thud it made felt like it came from the back of the car. Anyway, quick search underneath the vehicle showed that the driveshaft was fine, however the passenger CV was a little askew... :oops: :oops: Backed the car off the rock step, rolled it far enough back that I could work on flat-ish ground, chocked the rear wheels and started pulling the front apart.

This is what I saw when I first got the wheel off:

The four of us (2 in each car, had my prado mate with me) looked at it and all said the same thing: "Well that's f#@%ed... What now?" I pulled the front suspension apart, got the CV out (not too much oil out of the diff thankfully), shoved a rolled up compression bandage in the hole and limped the car back to Ultimate where I can work on it tomorrow. Thankfully, my mate in the prado is letting me use his car tomorrow to get to work and he's going to pick it up if I can get a new CV in before the end of the day.

I've got more photos to come from the people who were with me, so will edit this when I get those to show the extent of the damage. Luckily it didn't take out the ABS wire or braided brake lines, but the cup at the wheel end has completely shattered and the bearings have exited out the side. :shock:

fraz91

Next

Return to Member Build Ups