Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 am

Mitz replced the upper cause the boost thingy was blocking up and they redesigned the vac take off position..
viking shippy

Postby sierra on Mon May 14, 2012 9:17 am

viking shippy wrote:Mitz replced the upper cause the boost thingy was blocking up and they redesigned the vac take off position..

Great! So now it can get more full/blocked before the ECU gets to know about it.
So much for the emissions, power and fuel consumption which will be allowed to deteriorate to a much greater extent. :(
sierra

Postby burnah on Mon May 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Just noticed that Binnings sells 4mm barbed tees in the reticulation section for micro spray/ dripper pipe. :lol:
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cookoy on Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm

we could also use the T and Y connectors for the windshield wiper hoses. Im sure they have that in the autoparts store there. i used a Y that came from my old L200
cookoy

Postby shotgun283 on Mon May 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Gotta laugh at this polution sh^%, Our new fire truck has a device on the exhaust which save all the carbon etc. Then it burns it off at around 300ks. when it does a burn it ignites a chamber squirts diesel in and cooks the nastys out at 650 deg, smells like a knackered perkins while doing this and YOU CANT DRIVE IT IN DRY GRASS or it will start a fire :twisted: Its a bloody fire truck. So ya save all emissions for 300ks then let it all out in one spot :lol:
Large trucks have engines that arnt lasting as long with all the egr gear on them. so greenies . we have to smelt more iron to repace worn out engines that save the enviroment, hmmmmmmm
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby tsenior on Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

anyone know how much pressure is on the turbo side of the throttle body valve at idle, i have not got my triton back yet to play with it and would be interesting is seeing how much pressure is still created as when the throttle valve is partialy closed and egr is open, as i might be able to just run a tee from the map sensor and tap into the turbo side of the throttle body and it might have enough pressure to trick the ecu that the egr exhaust gases are flowing when it just the pressure being created from the turbo on the throttle valve.
tsenior

Postby Kegsy on Mon May 14, 2012 7:29 pm

We had a few detroits with that burn off DPF setup, just to test them out before purchase... HORRIBLE!

We now run adblue setup in the new Macks we just got. Brilliant. If ya run low on the adblue they just de-rate until you fill the tank back up. Too easy.

Shame about the typical Mack axle tramp though :evil:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Mon May 14, 2012 7:44 pm

tsenior wrote:anyone know how much pressure is on the turbo side of the throttle body valve at idle, i have not got my triton back yet to play with it and would be interesting is seeing how much pressure is still created as when the throttle valve is partialy closed and egr is open, as i might be able to just run a tee from the map sensor and tap into the turbo side of the throttle body and it might have enough pressure to trick the ecu that the egr exhaust gases are flowing when it just the pressure being created from the turbo on the throttle valve.

Pretty much that has already been done mate. ;)
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm

shotgun283 wrote:Gotta laugh at this polution sh^%, Our new fire truck has a device on the exhaust which save all the carbon etc. Then it burns it off at around 300ks. when it does a burn it ignites a chamber squirts diesel in and cooks the nastys out at 650 deg, smells like a knackered perkins while doing this and YOU CANT DRIVE IT IN DRY GRASS or it will start a fire :twisted: Its a bloody fire truck. So ya save all emissions for 300ks then let it all out in one spot :lol:
Large trucks have engines that arnt lasting as long with all the egr gear on them. so greenies . we have to smelt more iron to repace worn out engines that save the enviroment, hmmmmmmm

It's not anyone interested in the environment that's responsible for instigating all this crap.
It's bureaucratic idiots and the system that allows it to happen is what needs changing.
sierra

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Yep ADR rules need to change written 30 years ago
viking shippy

Postby burnah on Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Happy to report that it looks like it was the particular design of the check valve I was using that caused it to seize. The replacement has seen two days driving and stilll works fine. :D
The original at the bottom of the photo (which cost $5 compared to the replacement @ $1.50) has a rubber plug on a spring. Don't buy that one. ;)
The plug had an indentation where it was being pushed into the hole by the positive pressure. It was enough so that when sucked, it wouldn't budge. Bad physics on it for this application. I guess they are designed to be used in almost opposite circumstances. (i.e. usually open, rather than closed)
Hard to see how the new one works, but it's different and it works. :)
Found a different air diffuser as well which is smaller and made of some sort of hard high density foam stuff.
In the photo of the valves they are aligned in terms of flow direction, both flow left to right.

Click to view larger picture
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Great job and pics Burnah.

Are the valves that work the barbed ones from ebay below?
They look different.

http://tinyurl.com/7syuwqw

The 4mm bore emission hose, 'T' connector and small black cable ties are easily sourced but can you ID the air diffuser to help source that?
sierra

Postby tsenior on Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 am

anyone with a scan guage that can tell me how much the egr is on vs throttle valve, also does it show how much the map sensor is reading in a voltage value when the egr is on, i can map values and program a ardunio atamega chip and input a variable voltage signal directly into the map sensor any data would be great,i so i can start programming the chip
cheers
tsenior

Postby burnah on Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

sierra wrote:Great job and pics Burnah.

Are the valves that work the barbed ones from ebay below?
They look different.

http://tinyurl.com/7syuwqw

The 4mm bore emission hose, 'T' connector and small black cable ties are easily sourced but can you ID the air diffuser to help source that?

Cheers mate.
The valve isn't the one off ebay. They haven't arrived yet. I've just noticed though, that I've inadvertently ordered from a different ebay store. I started from your link, but I browsed some others and looks like I ended up somewhere else. Bit worried now, these are the ones I'm waiting on:

http://is.gd/exMdZi

The diffuser, I got from a pet shop, but found the links below:

Manufacturer: http://is.gd/AK4hNz

ebay: http://is.gd/XTRkCY

Aussie supplier: http://is.gd/XE2zAb
burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Newguy on Tue May 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Longranger1 wrote:
Newguy wrote:Why do we need this?

Apart from better performance, better fuel economy (if done right), smoother running, lower egt's at cruise (dependant on how it is done), cleaner engine oil between changes, no degradation of performance over time due to carbon build up in the intake manifold, better reliability, longer engine life etc, etc, etc... apart from that why would you need it? :lol:

I was meaning, Why do we need this Breather on the Vaccum Line?

I Understand the Rest.

I Do get what i think could be Overboost or similar is when im in 2nd or 3rd gear and rev at say 3900rpm for a couple of seconds she goes into limp. No engine light just bugger all power. Re start and your away.
Should this help fix this?
Newguy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Tue May 15, 2012 5:37 pm

where can I get a blanking plate from.
wi53yz_4wd

Postby killa on Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 pm

wi53yz_4wd wrote:where can I get a blanking plate from.

ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=quotepost&p=49658

Try that ;)
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby burnah on Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 pm

The ebay barbed valves arrived.
Not quite as an aggressive barb as the ones you got sierra, but enough to bulge the hose a little with a cable tie around the shaft so It's plenty secure.
No spring mechanism. :)
Just a silicone hood with a slit in it.

The final result:

burnah
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Burnah,

Thanks for posting all that info. You've made it easy now, for anyone wanting to do this mod, to know what to use and how to use it.
The valve with the springs likely needs a fair bit of vacuum to open which is another reason to avoid them.
sierra

Postby sierra on Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 pm

tsenior wrote:anyone with a scan guage that can tell me how much the egr is on vs throttle valve, also does it show how much the map sensor is reading in a voltage value when the egr is on, i can map values and program a ardunio atamega chip and input a variable voltage signal directly into the map sensor any data would be great,i so i can start programming the chip
cheers

That sounds like a brilliant solution! If only I understood the theory? :?
I think the Scanguage will only read the throttle valve but another gauge reads the EGR valve too. There were some posts back in this thread, I think, that gave values for both.
If you can't find them or the posters let me know and i'll find it.

Basically I think they oppose each other. When the TB is at 100%[open] the EGR valve is closed and when the TB is at 20% the EGR valve is open.
sierra

Postby wi53yz_4wd on Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 pm

killa wrote:
wi53yz_4wd wrote:where can I get a blanking plate from.

ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=quotepost&p=49658

Try that ;)

he's all out any other people sell them
wi53yz_4wd

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby irwazza on Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Chipit do, and while your at it you might aswell purchase a chip, you know, to save on postage :)
irwazza

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 pm

You can cut one out yourself if you have a spare piece of sheet metal lying around. I think chipit might sell them too?

Or there's ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blanking-Plate-NISSAN-Patrol-D22-DI-/360452070311?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ec9e1ba7#ht_5317wt_1135

Can get them for about half if you buy from the UK. I'm not certain on dimensions so check before buying.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Tue May 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Send Tony a PM on the chipit log on if you need a blank in a hurry. ;)

Just opened this thread and thought I had arrived at an aquarium forum of some sort. :lol: :lol: :lol:

be interesting if those fish tank valves stand up to the boost pressure over time.

Nothing wrong with the idea mind you as I have used them in the past for automotive use. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tsenior on Wed May 16, 2012 4:05 am

sierra wrote:
That sounds like a brilliant solution! If only I understood the theory? :?
I think the Scanguage will only read the throttle valve but another gauge reads the EGR valve too. There were some posts back in this thread, I think, that gave values for both.
If you can't find them or the posters let me know and i'll find it.

Basically I think they oppose each other. When the TB is at 100%[open] the EGR valve is closed and when the TB is at 20% the EGR valve is open.

atamega chips are cheap like $5 and the and i have a few on me from other projects i have planned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBzwwARAa_U this was the start of my ventilation system for my home using a atamega chip but i can break the unit down for the triton and just use the chip so it is small.

theroy is i check the voltage coming from the map sensor at idle when egr should be open as the triton ecu uses the map sensor to check egr is operating all obd-ii cars do its a part of the new world order bull crap to have onboard egr checking while driving.
when egr is open pressure goes up thats why you guys are doing the one way valves to trick the ecu the egr is operating

if the egr is open at idle and the voltage is at say 2.5v from the map sensor im just going to program my atamega chip to output a minimum of 2.5v and have it check the map sensor values anything above that output its real value but can never go below a set amount say the 2.5v. which mean i blank my egr and forget about any other problems.

i can change the values of the output to the ecu from the map sensor to what ever i like i have a 3.2 triton if the boost cut is at 17 psi i can output a lower value from the map sensor and raise the boost, the maf sensor is the main load sensor so it will output more diesel as it will sense more air flow into the air intake which is its job.
tsenior

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks