water leakage everywhere?

Anything Triton related

Postby s13tsilvia on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Discovered i had wet floor in the drivers side so pulled up the carpet in the front and looked for any leaks, poured water over the windows and over the roof... nothing... seems to happen on slight downhill it is more noticeable.. pulled out the rear seats and front driver seat and lifted the carpet, absolutely soaked rear passenger footwell and front side, like you hit it with a hose, nothing i can tell on passenger side front or rear...

anyone have any ideas as to where its coming from? ive pulled all plastics from drivers side and cannot see where any water is coming in from. checked up under the dash etc and im tearing my hair out...

Next step is on the weekend to pull out all seats and carpet and try and work out what the hell is happening..
s13tsilvia

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 pm

I'll put my money on the windscreen....check door gaskets.....footwell plugs you can see them from underneath if you have em best to hamer them in from outside to let things dry out...
viking shippy

Re: water leakage everywhere?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Try the back corners at the top of the rear window, there have been a few leaking from there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Stevo8 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Warranty??
Stevo8

Postby Froggy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Description sounds similar to a previous thread where it was leaking due to poor design of the seals on the back window. Maybe check that as well.
Froggy

Postby s13tsilvia on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 pm

yeah i checked all that in regards to rear window, no leaks as far as i can tell, no warranty its an 06 and i bought it second hand...grrr
s13tsilvia

Postby drillbit7 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Use the A/C much? If so check the evaporator drain tube. If its blocked the evaporator box fills up with water and eventually leaks out. (often onto the passengers' foot). Probably not your problem given the amount of water described, but worth checking. If you have any cables running through you firewall (UHF Coax etc.) check the grommets as I've seen those leak into the cabin.

Good luck.

Cheers
Drillbit
drillbit7

Postby brett10 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

[quote="drillbit7"]Use the A/C much? If so check the evaporator drain tube. If its blocked the evaporator box fills up with water and eventually leaks out. (often onto the passengers' foot).

x2

When your a/c is on can you see water coming out from under the car, if not jam a bit of wire up into the drain tube under the car to clear out any debris, or check the drain tube is still attached to the evaporator in the car behind the dash.
Ya gotta love this place
brett10

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Last time I looked the air conditioner was on the left (passenger) side.

OP has wet carpet on the right (driver) side and says the left side is quite dry.

There have been previous cases of leaking around the rear window, as stated above. I guess you've checked the obvious things like the grommet in the rear footwell?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby drillbit7 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Last time I looked the air conditioner was on the left (passenger) side.

OP has wet carpet on the right (driver) side and says the left side is quite dry.

Good point 5th. Guess I didn't read the post properly.

Cheers
Drillbit
drillbit7

Postby s13tsilvia on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Last time I looked the air conditioner was on the left (passenger) side.

There have been previous cases of leaking around the rear window, as stated above. I guess you've checked the obvious things like the grommet in the rear footwell?

All grommets appear to be in correctly, I'm going to pull everything out on the weekend an get to the bottom of it
s13tsilvia

Postby timbo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 am

I had a similar thing couldn't find it, eventually I found it was the grommet above the fuse box on the drivers side, it was the one the bonnet cable runs through, the problem with it was that it is a split grommet so I filled it up with silicone and been fine ever since. Hope this helps mate
timbo

Postby joelzo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:33 am

Thought id let you know ive ha the same thing recently, only on drivers side too. Its on my single cab too, so that rules out rear door seals or windows. It also has the one piece rear window and seems dry behind the seats.

Was parked on very slight uphill when it occurred too.

Unfortunately have yet to discover where it came from.

Its a 2010 mn single cab
hmmm 255 character limit hey...
joelzo

Postby s13tsilvia on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am

timbo wrote:I had a similar thing couldn't find it, eventually I found it was the grommet above the fuse box on the drivers side, it was the one the bonnet cable runs through, the problem with it was that it is a split grommet so I filled it up with silicone and been fine ever since. Hope this helps mate

thanks for the tip timbo, ill take a look at that!
s13tsilvia

Postby s13tsilvia on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:19 pm

well after pulling up carpets and spraying the car down in the rain lol i have worked out where the water is coming in from!

Driver side back rear window.
It appears to run down the metal to the floor where the seatbelt cable is fastened and then runs down the channel when i park on a hill into the drivers footwell. god knows how long its been going on for, but i had plenty of water in her.
It also appears to flow down into the middle and sits behind the plastic, luckily the seal is still good and no water appears to leak from there....

I will be ringing mitsubishi to see if they can do anything tomorrow. :evil: : :cry:

See the pics
Driver side rear window upper corner
Click to view larger picture

Pooling water on floor
s13tsilvia

Postby timbo on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Glad you found it mate hopefully the dealer is going to fix it. Have fun putting it all together the way it was
timbo

Postby 5immo on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:26 am

Also take the moulding off at the back of the roof. I had a pin prink hole in the seam where the 2 sheets of metal join. Good luck with mitsi as they didnt want to know about mine
5immo

Postby s13tsilvia on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Well an update, its all fixed now, it was the drivers side rear window that was the problem, the novus guys at Mitcham (free plug! who were super helpfull in everyway) found that the window is surrounded by foam and pushed onto the rubber seal and it had moved, thus allowing water in, they fixed her up and she is good to go, and they didnt have to take the canopy off! total fix $130 bucks so very happy
s13tsilvia

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:28 am

Ok my MN GLXR has the same problem I think. Never leaked until this week. What is the best way to seal the rear windows?
MN GLXR

Postby s13tsilvia on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Window repair shop I'm pretty sure they pull the window out and reseal it
s13tsilvia

Postby MN GLXR on Wed May 13, 2015 6:02 am

Update.....windows were resealed and roof lining and trims removed with no sign of leak.

Is it possible for water to enter via the vents in the rear corners of the cab if I drive through a big puddle at speed.

That's all I can think of.....
MN GLXR

Postby everest on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:02 pm

ah just got into my car after a week of not driving it, and it sitting in the rain.....

and what is that smell... did i leave 2litres of milk in the sun? nope drivers floor mat is soaked and been festering for a week... gross... now to do the same search for water..

cheers guys for the heads up
everest

Postby brucewoodworker on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:02 am

Had the same problem, windscreen bloke came out and did a water test(hosed down the rear window and roof trims etc), water coming in between the metal seals at the rear not the window itself. He pulled off the two gutter trims on the roof and found that the sealant had given way where the roof and gutter channels meet. He gouged out the old sealant and resealed the joins....no dramas now!
brucewoodworker

Postby Robby on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:13 am

everest wrote:ah just got into my car after a week of not driving it, and it sitting in the rain.....

and what is that smell... did i leave 2litres of milk in the sun? nope drivers floor mat is soaked and been festering for a week... gross... now to do the same search for water..

cheers guys for the heads up

In the last couple of weeks we have had plenty of rain, the inside of the ute has started to stink the wife thinks damp smell, I think it smells like the worst pair of smelly socks you could imagine. my problem is I can't find any signs of water just the smell. :( :(

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:14 pm

s13tsilvia wrote:Well an update, its all fixed now, it was the drivers side rear window that was the problem, the novus guys at Mitcham (free plug! who were super helpfull in everyway) found that the window is surrounded by foam and pushed onto the rubber seal and it had moved, thus allowing water in, they fixed her up and she is good to go, and they didnt have to take the canopy off! total fix $130 bucks so very happy

bump.

all the weather in Sydney caused my floor to be soaked as well. it had not been driven much so i have to assume it is from sitting in the rain and not driving it.

which is the culprit windows to look for? is it the two windows on either side of the slider? i couldn't see any evidence of water running like this photo shows though?

s13tsilvia wrote:well after pulling up carpets and spraying the car down in the rain lol i have worked out where the water is coming in from!

Driver side rear window upper corner

There seems to be a couple of places this can occur. as mine is out of warranty i really don't want to have to remove the canopy to do the fix. So any info on how this is achieved would be helpful :D

i'll have to get the hose out....................before i put the interior back in. :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion