Shifter removal

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Shifter removal

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Since my clutch is starting to slip I'm preparing to tackle the job. I've got no issues doing the job but was just thinking about the shifter. Obviously it needs removal to slip the box back. Has anyone experience in pulling the shifter out.
GLX-R Alex

Re: Shifter removal

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:40 pm

No ones pulled the shifter out?
GLX-R Alex

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 pm

I can't remember Tony saying anything about removing any shifters when he wrote up his clutch replacement. Not to say he didn't do it, but I don't remember it. I think you'll find that there have been all that many guys game to do their own clutch replacements anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Just ordered a new excedy heavy duty clutch for the ML. Fitting it soon.
GLX-R Alex

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Pretty straightforward. This should help.

gearshift removal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby fraz91 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:33 pm

There's two ways you can remove the shifters; By removing the shifter assembly as a whole (like NFT5's above post) or by removing the shifters individually. The first 6 steps are the same for either method, the difference is in the final step. You can either remove the assembly as a whole, or remove the gear sticks individually. I removed the sticks individually, and it's not all that hard. The gearbox shifter has a "push-and-twist" style release, while the transfer has a small plate with 3 bolts, and needs to be pulled out.

Note: BE CAREFUL REPLACING THE TRANSFER SHIFTER IF REMOVING THE STICKS INDIVIDUALLY! I wasn't and ended up cracking the thin metal plate, tearing the gasket AND breaking the plastic bush the transfer lever sits in. It's this plastic bush that slides up and down to allow selection of low-range.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Wow thanks people.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Tom B on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Quick question, are the "fat" part of the shifters removable to make the shifters shorter?

cheers
No more Triton....

Now where did I leave that Patrol ;)
Tom B

Postby aids84 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Tom B wrote:Quick question, are the "fat" part of the shifters removable to make the shifters shorter?

cheers

Nah, the fat part is filled with a rubberish resin or something to absorb vibrations
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tom B on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Cheers mate
No more Triton....

Now where did I leave that Patrol ;)
Tom B

Postby Tony on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Had mine out twice now, :lol: the HD NPC unit eventually tossed it in during a dyno run a while back. :oops:
just had a look in my old build thred in the platinum lounge, I may not have added pics of the selector removal when I done the first clutch. :oops: There are some pics of the transfer lever somewhere though. Maybe that thread on the SS boxes getting stuck in one position?

I find its easiest to just remove the shifters individually and shove some rag in the holes.
as fraz mentioned, just take a bit of care around the gaskets and that silly looking plastic cup thing on the transfer lever. Be absolutely certain everything seats back in on assembly before tightening any bolts around the selectors!
if you chose to remove both drive shafts, have a vessel ready to catch a bit of oil.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:59 am

Tony wrote:Had mine out twice now, :lol: the HD NPC unit eventually tossed it in during a dyno run a while back. :oops:

What sort of clutch are you running now Tony? If the HD NPC unit carked it, you must have some very serious grunt now... :D
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan_4818 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:52 pm

nvm sorted it out. Carry on
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby justinp on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just had my clutch replaced and on getting it back I realised I can’t select low range, the white plastic bush that locates the 4wd selecter is all cracked and broken, Mitsubishi have told me it’s a complete unit replacement as the bush is not seperate, Reardon being as it is a super select GLXR model, can any one help on what they did to repair there’s.
justinp

Postby aids84 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Best bet would be to try and find one at a wreckers if you don't fancy forking out for one through Mitsubishi. I doubt you'd have much success in trying to repair it. Maybe whoever replaced your clutch should cop the repair bill, it can be a bit tricky to hold the lever in place while getting the bolts back in and I'd say they have tried to force it and broken the bush.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby justinp on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Mitsubishi want $600 for the replacement,comes complete with the top housing of the gearbox
justinp

Return to Drive Train Components