Tony81's Build Up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Tony81's Build Up

Postby Tony81 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Well after nearly 2 years I finally started to do some changes to Rudolf and though I better do a write up :oops: :oops:

When I first bought the car I got a Red MN GLX-R Dual Cab, Ordered an ARB Deluxw Winch Bar that was supposed to be Silver in colour but ended up being colour coded Red :evil: :evil: :evil: At first I was not happy as it wasn't what I asked for but over time the Red Bar has grown on me and now i quite like it
Click to view larger picture
We also got a spray in Rhino Liner, Window Tinting (Privacy), Manufacturer Canopy, Reverse Camera with the screen in thre drivers sun visor & Mitsubishi's Heavy Duty Rust Protection System (apparrently this comes with a lifetime garuntee (spose we just have to wait and see :roll: :roll:)

Today I spent the day over at my brother inlaw's place to install a underbonnet dual battery system.

Comprising of:-
TJM Dual Battery Tray that fits a 10" & 12" battery
CTEK 250s Dual Battery Management System
Optima RED TOP Battery
Various Cables and Jioners

So Out Comes the Battery, I didn't realise the battery box wasn't bolted down everything came out in one go

Trial fit of the tray

We did a trial fit of the batteries and realised the ASC controller needed to be moved to a new home,found a perfect spot next to the fuel pump and viola

We put the batteries back in then thought to ourselves where are we going to mount the CTEK?????? There was a fair bit of room beside the fuse box and windscreen washer filler but how to mount it :?: :?: :?:
After a bit of thinking and lunch we had the bright idea :idea: to weld a bracket onto the side of the battery tray :? :? So while my brother inlaw welded the bracket together I set about removing everything again :oops: :oops:
Perfect timing the tray camew out just as the bracket was finished, we removes the powdercoating and proceeded to weld the bracket onto the tray.

Gave the welds a quick clean up then painted with a zinc galvanic rust proofing and flat black paint to match, drilled some holes to mount the CTEK and put it all back together again

All Done and Wired up looks the goods :D :D :D

Yep All Working

Ran some wiring to the rear of the tub to run the 80ltr Waeco, shook my brother inlaw's hand said thank you very much for all your help and with a big smile on my face :D :D drove home to show the wife. Yes SHE is very happy as well.

Still want to do a lot more but all will have to wait till I save up for it. Twins on the way tend to slow things down a lot :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Tony81 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Tony81's Build Up

Postby Sky Miner on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Well done mate looks sweet as 8-)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Hymie on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Awesome job mate

Good to see you putting that $50 a week to good use
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Basumal on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Nice work tony.
Just bought the same tray. did you drill a hole at the front as per instructions? And how do the bolts on wire work?

Bas.
Basumal

Postby Basumal on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Nice work tony.
Just bought the same tray. did you drill a hole at the front as per instructions? And how do the bolts on wire work?

Bas.
Basumal

Postby Kegsy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Just letting you know optima red top is a cranking only battery.

If they sold you that battery as a deep cycle for your fridge they have messed up. You need to swap it for a blue or yellow top battery.

Otherwise nice install. I like through ctek mount. Very neat.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Basumal wrote:Nice work tony.

Bas.

Hey Bas, no mate I didn't drill a hole in it! I didn't actually see where it was written too :? :? :? , it seemed to work quite nicely and was really solid as it was, didn't even need to cut or weld in new mount points just placed it in and bolted it up. :D :D

The bolts on a wire work by placing the bolt through the hole in the tray holding the wire instead of trying to use fingers in tight places ;) ;) and locating the hold down point, might need to bend it slightly to be able to get the bolt through,just helps to make it a bit easier for those with stubby fingers like myself. :roll: :roll:

Kegsy wrote:Just letting you know optima red top is a cranking only battery.

If they sold you that battery as a deep cycle for your fridge they have messed up. You need to swap it for a blue or yellow top battery.

Otherwise nice install. I like through ctek mount. Very neat.

Hi Kegsy, yeah mate I know the Optima Red Top is a cranking battery my plan is to replace the original battery with a Blue Top as soon as I can afford one or maybe an Alrounder.

With the Ctek it just seemed to fit perfectly there and has enough room for everything to be attached :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tony81 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Basumal on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Cheers tony. ill probably have to have a bit more of a crack on the weekend. it looks like ill have to shorten the power steering hose slightly too so it doesnt rub against it.
Yeah after stuffing around a bit i figured thats what the bolts were for.

Cheers,

bas.
Basumal

Postby trumpy955 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:32 am

Mate, very neat looking set up you got there. Cant wait to see more of this build unfold !
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby dosullivan on Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Hey Toni, looks like a great set-up. Just bought the TJM tray yesterday and are planning my install.
Is the Ctek suited to under bonnet, ie: will the heat bother it?
Also did you have to do anything special to get the ASC mounted on it's new location?
Hope you can help.
DanRooster
dosullivan

Postby Tony81 on Wed May 30, 2012 8:04 pm

No mate, all I did was undo the bolt on the fuel filter put it in place and tighten the bolt back up :D :D :D

Easy as 8-) 8-)
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dosullivan on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks mate
dosullivan

Postby Cam472 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey Tony, when installing I found the washers supplied are smaller than the mounting holes in the tray so how did you secure the tray to the bracket underneath? and;
Did you also get your batteries to sit flat on the tray without the nuts proping one side up? Seems silly to have the battery resting on the nuts, may damage the batteries and they don't sit flat on the tray.

Kind regards,

Cam.
Cam472

Postby Tony81 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Cam472 wrote:Hey Tony, when installing I found the washers supplied are smaller than the mounting holes in the tray so how did you secure the tray to the bracket underneath? and;
Did you also get your batteries to sit flat on the tray without the nuts proping one side up? Seems silly to have the battery resting on the nuts, may damage the batteries and they don't sit flat on the tray.

Kind regards,

Cam.

Mate not sure what you are talking about with batteries resting on NUTS :?: :?: :?: Both my batteries sit flat on the tray...

I only used 2 bolts to secure the tray down yes with bigger flat washers and also a split / spring washer one at the back (see 3rd pic of where the ASC module was relocated to(this one actually comes out into the wheel well)) & one at the front which I used the bolt on a wire for. :twisted: :twisted:

I did use a small piece of high density foam to sit under the tray to help with any vibration issues(you can just see it in the second picture next to the earth wire) but apart from that, it is all I did. :D :D and yes it is as solid as a rock :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cam472 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:38 pm

This is my issue. The thread of the bolt sticks out and stops the battery from sitting flat.

This was my solution. I ground off the excess thread and put some rubber down.

Cam472

Re: Tony81's Build Up - New Canopy

Postby Tony81 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Time for a bit of an update.

As usual clicky for full pictures

Recently I had a bit of a moment with the rear door of the genuine Mitsubishi canopy, the bloody thing exploded in my hands one night as I was trying to open it. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The glass literally exploded and NOT like you would expect for automotive glass, usually automotive glass breaks like safety glass, small cube shaped pieces. When the canopy door glass went I got small cube like pieces as well a quite large shards of glass some of which landed on me cutting my arm and hands :evil:

The handle for the door folded in half and the glass stayed attached to it in some odd shaped formations sticking out
One of the struts when it came down landed on my head and arm

After this happened I wasn't sure if it was covered by my insurance, to my surprise they said it was covered but suggested to check if it was covered under warranty before making a claim :shock: :o 8-)
As my luck would have it, it was covered under warranty and I was to get a full replacement. :D :D :D
I asked the Mitsubishi Customer relations person if, instead of getting a genuine replacement could I opt for an aftermarket canopy. They told me yes I can as long as it comes to the same or less than the cost of the genuine item... ;)
I searched the net and this forum
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1400
and it came down to 2 types the Caddy Canopy like Quinny's but with windows or the Razorback Steel Canopy :? :?

In the end the Razorback Canopy won as it has the ability to be synced with the cars central locking and also has a demister in the rear window & it is made of Steel... 8-) 8-)
So from this....

To this.....

Yep can honestly say that I am absolutely rapt in the new canopy, it is a breeze to open & close and it actually feels like it is a part of the car, not an afterthought.

Michael from Razorback was a pleasure to deal with and I am glad I went with a forum sponsor, as the central locking actuator is faulty (only locks with a key at the moment)...

There are a few things that need to be addressed from the Mitsubishi Dealer that fitted the canopy, like replacing the water defense kit they removed :evil: :evil: :twisted: :? :? And a few other things that need to be fixed.

All in all I am a very happy Chappy and was surprised at the customer service from MMAL as they were constantly in contact with me via email to check the progress on the replacement.
Last edited by Tony81 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:08 am

wow looks great tony love the reflections in your clean paint ;) canopy looks good too :D
mad992

Postby Sky Miner on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 am

That razzorback is one sweet looking canopy Tony 8-) Much better (looking) than the factory one.

Sooo jealous ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Re: Tony81's Build Up - Rudolph Gets Some New Boots

Postby Tony81 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:05 am

Time for a bit of an update finally.

It has only taken 2 yeas and 45,000km for me to convince my wife that we need some new tyres on Rudolph.

After seeing that the inside of both front tyre had pretty much turned into racing slicks :shock: :shock:
I got the okay to get some new shoes :D :D :D :D

Clicky for full view

This is the size Tyres that MMAL should bring these vehicles out with in the first place, as you can see they actually fill the cavernous wheel wells nicely..

Now the next things will be bash plates from Mitch at Prestige and a snorkel... It is a very slow process but I am getting there :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Tony81 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Outnabout on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:20 am

G'day Tony, your trucks looking the good now mate with that flash canopy 8-) bloody spewin about it shattering though. Just a quick question, Do your new mickeys scrub at all at the front? Cheers mate
Outnabout

Postby Tony81 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Outnabout wrote:Just a quick question, Do your new mickeys scrub at all at the front? Cheers mate

Nope not one bit :D :D
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Outnabout on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Damn thats crazy, ive got 265/70/R16 on stock suspension and mine scrub all the time! Glad you're not in the same boat mate 8-)
Outnabout

Postby redrover on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Your truck's looking fantastic Tony. It's been a great build to follow as I have a new GLR in red that, after seeing yours helped me make my mind up on which canopy to order for her. I've now got a Razorback canopy and a colour coded ARB Sahara bar which should be fitted up in a week or two.

Did you get your central locking issue sorted? That was one of the big draw cards of the Razorback for me.
It's a good thing I saw your stick figure family of 7. Your Tarago had me under the impression you were wild and single....
redrover

Postby Tony81 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:16 am

G'day redrover,
Thanks for the kind words,

The central locking issue got all sorted out and now it works perfectly :D The actuator solenoid was on the fritz :roll: :roll:

Unfortunately the canopy was installed by a dealership and in the process of installing the razorback the incompetent, useless, twit that did the job also removed the dust seal kit that I paid for, this was reinstalled but the rubber seals are all torn, the sikflex was not replaced, and he used self tapping bugel head screws instead of pop rivets in new holes to reattach it, so I now have a dust seal kit that does nothing... :evil: :evil:

The canopy itself and the service I got from razorback is excellent. I would absolutely recommend that you get it installed by the recommended person.

Love the canopy and love that car just can't stand incompetence..
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Rudolph's update - Pillar Pod Install

Postby Tony81 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:42 pm

So after the group buy ran by Motoz (thanks again, top effort) My pillar pod finally turned up,

Sorry about theropod quality pics my iphone is playing up :evil: :evil:

CLICKY FOR FULL IMAGE.

After a few weeks had gone by I finally had some time to look at installing the pod, I removed the original card by squeezing my fingers I between the rubber seal and the A Pillar card and it just poped off with a gentle flick of the fingers.

When I went to install the new ones I seem to have run into some problems as you can see below

In this picture you can see that it doesn't quite sit into the spot near the windscreen :?

In these 2 it seems a little long and it doesn't fit neatly into the door seals

This picture shows that the new pillar pod is way to long as the original card is sitting on top of the new one

I pulled it all back out again and replaced the original card and am now sitting down trying to figure out what to do :!: :?: :!: :?: Anyone have any ideas :idea: :idea:

Also Father's Day came along and I was allowed to choose my own gift :D :D :D
So onto eBay I went and found a dual volt gauge by Autron an Australian company.

Should be the goods when everything is installed and working properly 8-)
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Member Build Ups