Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Hey all,

My first 4wd ever.
My mates are all keen on 4x4's all have them, leaving me out.. I'm a young hoon lol and rarely been off road.
I dont know much about this kind of thing so bare with me. lol

After looking around at alot of 4x4's, dicing up to buy old or new, something already done or not. I came to the conclusion I would rather buy new and do it myself.

The purchase, Day I got it. Brand New MY14 GLX-R.
Click to view larger picture

I found the triton was the best value for money and you get a fair bit of car for the coin.
When the car finally arrived the only things that the dealer had forgotten was a tub liner and the biggest thing, the factory option rear locker. As you can imagine I was not happy.
The car goes into ARB to get a rear airlocker and compressor fitted this thursday. Paid for by Mitsubishi.

Anyhow, with a huge 180kms on the clock I went and had a play.

Quickly realised I needed a snorkel, lift kit and tyres LOL. Plus I lost my number plate. Rivo has it now lol.

So a set of CSA Raptors 16x8 0 offset were fitted with 33x12.5R16 Kumho KL-71s wrapped on them.

Still at stock height, they do touch the mud flaps and stick about an inch or so outside of the standard flares. Figured they would. So SuperiorEngineering was called to order those wider flares. http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/p ... s_id=10658

Thats all the pics I have now.

But thats not all :D Monster Rides Rekon coilovers and rear shocks + dobinsons rear leaves have been ordered.
They also arrive this thursday/friday and I will put them in this weekend.
Also being worried about the lift and brake lines. Safebrake was called and their Triton brake kit was ordered.
http://au-shop.safebrake.com.au/product ... roduct=651

Ontop of this, I've also ordered a Xrox Bull bar, bash plate, underbody protection from Opposite Lock.

The Triton is coming along reasonably quickly. Just hate waiting for things to arrive, wish everything was over night lol.

Next on the list. After the 1st round gets sorted.
Domin8tor winch with the rope.
Spoties and light bars.
Snorkel - unsure which one yet. Safari or the 4wdsupplies one.
Rock sliders - again unsure. Probably xrox or maybe hazzards.
Rear bar - still unsure lol. I like the TJM one.
Roof rack/cargo carrier and awning.

Once thats sorted.
Exhaust and Chip it modules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy6EJ26E ... dgWlrqDRp3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9J31gdY ... dgWlrqDRp3

Will keep this updated as progress goes, will be sure to get lots of pics of parts, fitting etc etc.
Still have only done 200kms in this car, will be a shock to the dealer at the first service I think :lol:

Thanks,
Mat
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Postby Lunny on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Getting along quickly mate, looks good with those wheels
Lunny
Lunny

Postby salt36 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Welcome Mat...

Triton is getting a workout already, good to see them used for what we buy them for :D

If I was to offer any advice it would be to get some water through that radiator, A/C cooler and intercooler quickly. If possible try and keep them all clean as can cause over heating and other problems....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Crash486 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Nice work ! Down and dirty.

Arhhh.. did I see that right, those flares are $700 ?????? Holey smoke :?
Crash486

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Lunny, yeah I picked them out of a magazine and ordered over the phone lol. Pretty happy with the look to be honest.

Salt36, Thanks mate, yeah I went straight down to a self serve car wash and high pressure washed through it all. I know what you mean, was smelling hotter driving it, I think theres still some mud in there, will give it a good clean out when front bumper is off for the bullbar.

One thing I am worried about is with the wheels sticking out, is on full flex the tyres touching the flares. With the MR coilovers im going to wind them up as far as possible to not let that happen, but dont want to kill CV's either.

thanks,
Mat
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:17 pm

The link given to the flares gives "To suit Single Cab Only"
mitzikatzi

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Yeah they dont have a link to the dual cab ones, but they do have them. Same looking flares. Same ones on ebay from thailand.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:30 pm

StiddyGLX-R wrote:One thing I am worried about is with the wheels sticking out, is on full flex the tyres touching the flares. With the MR coilovers im going to wind them up as far as possible to not let that happen, but dont want to kill CV's either.

thanks,
Mat

If you keep the front ride height around 585mm, measured from the wheel centre to the standard flare you should not have any worries with the CV's depending on how you drive of course :lol:

I would think at that height the flares should be safe in most circumstances, unless the aftermarket ones are lower ?
Then you may contact them at full flex, not sure, something to work out when they are fitted 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby lachiem on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Those vids look way too fun mate. Good work getting them to pay for the arb locker. Love to have seen the negotiations on that one.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 am

They tried to do the dodge with the delivery paperwork as in tick everything and just sign here. I refused to sign and said I'm pulling out of the deal unless its sorted.
They then said because its done and left the factory they can't have the locker put in. So I told them that's not my problem and I specifically asked and paid for it so I want it done.
Left the car there and went home told them to get it sorted or I won't sign anything til it's sorted. The sales rep got in trouble from the dealer principle and he personally rang ARB got it quoted, sent over a purchase order and rang me back to pick up the car and contact ARB to organise a date to drop the car there to have the work carried out.
Took a week to get it happening but it's finally sorted and getting done.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby glxr tourer on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 am

Great ride im impressed I have the same model and about to make the change on the H/T terrains to M/T and lift ect. I had a similar problem with my mitsi dealer when I purchased the new beast to find a chip on the windscreen and they tried to act dum and say they didnt know anything about it. Then they would not pay for a new one so I said no deal im walking out so 5klm down the road they rang back and said come back we will change it. So when I got back to the dealership and went to sign I see liquid paper over the contract and they added a $550 cost of my contact for the windscreen wtf I say I want a new contract and new screen and not at my cost... cheeky true
glxr tourer

Postby glxr tourer on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:21 am

Great ride im impressed I have the same model and about to make the change on the H/T terrains to M/T and lift ect. I had a similar problem with my mitsi dealer when I purchased the new beast to find a chip on the windscreen and they tried to act dum and say they didnt know anything about it. Then they would not pay for a new one so I said no deal im walking out so 5klm down the road they rang back and said come back we will change it. So when I got back to the dealership and went to sign I see liquid paper over the contract and they added a $550 cost of my contact for the windscreen wtf I say I want a new contract and new screen and not at my cost... cheeky true
glxr tourer

Postby glxr tourer on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 pm

glxr tourer

Postby lachiem on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 pm

I should have thought about that a bit more when I got my GLX back in july.
Proberly didnt because the roles were reversed. I was too keen to get rid of my P.O.S forester on the trade before it completly cracked a head. Was only to happy to sign on the dotted line.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:27 pm

SO my Triton went to ARB to have the diff locker installed last thursday. Finally. Yay.
Monster Rides suspension arrived last friday.
Click to view larger picture[/URL]

I was good to go, supposed to pick the car up Friday afternoon, would get home and chuck the suspension in on saturday. Planned out and looking good.
Except, ARB rang back, said sorry, haven't got the right parts can't have the car ready til saturday morning, though no biggy, it can still happen. ARB at midday calls and told me, still no part, can't have the car back til monday.
Not happy, but shit happens. Monday comes, 5pm ready to go pick the thing up. Get another phone call, Car wont be ready to midday tomorrow. CHRIST! really? Tuesday comes along, midday get another phone call, it wont be ready til 5pm.
I crack it. Tell them reguardless if the car is ready or not im coming to get it (tuesday afternoon). I turn up at 6pm, after close and they are just rolling it out. 5-6 days to install an aircompressor and a locker.

Anyway its done now, it works, and I have my car back. SO I will be installing the suspension this weekend.
XROX bullbar ive been informed is going to be hear by Tuesday next week, and I've ordered a snorkel off Ebay, so this weekend, is all suspension, next weekend is cutting holes and front bumper for more 'enhancements' lol
Will come with more pics of this weekend installing the suspension.

Cheers,
Matt
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:20 am

The Monster Rides suspension is in.
God I love it. I did it myself the hard way lol.
The hardest part of the whole install was leavering the lower control arm down enough to get the bottom bolt for the shock in.
But its a fantastic bit of kit.

HUGE thanks to Matt from MONSTER RIDES, he answered all my n00b questions, made this whole process easy, quick and honest and he's selling a brilliant product.
He asked every question about everything, which bullbar, which batteries, what color my undies are etc etc to get me the perfect spring.
I was told im getting a set of kings suited for my application, I tend to stay away from kings, but im glad I went with what Matt has set up for me. It rides 100 times better ride quality and handling.

As first on the lowest setting, 620mm hub to guard on the front. The rear was 619mm. Took it for a drive, hard stops from 80ks to get weight over the front, ran up a few gutters and got the front suspension working abit.

Now just re-measured just before posting its sitting at 609mm on the front, 612mm at the rear.
Going to leave it on the lowest setting for now so it settles more, get the bullbar on etc etc, then crank them back up, hopefully can keep it around the 610-615mm front, and will get extended shackles for the rear to lift it up another inch.

Still waiting on brake lines, NEED them, i've unbolted and bent brackets just so theres enough in the brake lines on full droop but im not comfortable with that.

Could not be happier with Monster Rides. Cannot recommend this product enough. Can't wait for more of their products to come out, will definately be getting whatever they want to sell me.

The start.
The end.
Mate standing next to it is 6ft2.
Representing lol.

Now thats done, bullbar and snorkel next week. Then going to Watagans to give it a good go.
The list is ever growing.
Will be getting a custom tray, rocksliders, brush bars, etc etc. As the car sits now still only has 235km's on the clock lol.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 am

Hate to rain on your parade mate but that sounds too high at the front to me. Have a look at the ride heights thread and you'll get an idea of what's safe. Could be I'm remembering the figures incorrectly. I hope for your sake I am. And if that's the lowest setting? Yikes. Have you put bigger CVs in or anything?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 am

Stock CVs for now. Lowest setting but it will still settle a little lower plus the bullbar weight it will come down to.
Cv angles still looks good at 620mm. Wouldn't want to push it more without extra modification.
Monster rides are going to be working on this later in the year. Already offered my car for RnD.
Plus George's mn triton build he has monster rides kit aswell with bullbar sitting at 610mm front so I figure I can do the same lol.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Snorkel and bullbar finally arrived, spent the weekend putting them on.
Hated doing the snorkel, template was out and drilling a hole in the side of a new car didnt feel too good but its done, and im happy enough with it (prick of a job). Took about 5-6hrs to do the snorkel and bullbar/bashplates.

So fair im reasonably happy with the progress of this car, not happening as fast as I would like, but thats out of my hands with delivery and couriers + finding time to fit everything. But it is coming along.

Now with bullbar, its sitting 590mm hub to guard on the front, 605mm on the rear(need extended rear shackles). Im going to watagans this weekend, going to give them a twist and get it to the 610mm or so.

Pics below of the Snorkel and bullbar.

I've recently ordered the XROX rocksliders, and waiting on the OppositeLock branded Hayman Reece rear bar and Lightforece lights for the bar (2 in the wings and 2 in the hoop). So more waiting. lol

Once thats done, will look at winches, roof racks/baskets, UHF etc etc..

Enjoy!
Mat
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Coming along nicely.

Happening pretty quickly too if you ask me :)
Amaroo

Postby the d on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Looks great. I did the snorkel on the weekend also, looks like same brand.
How was the bull bar to fit?
the d

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:57 am

Bullbar was easy mate. Just gotta measure the bar a few times so you get a neat cut on it. I used a 4inch grinder with a very thin cutting wheel. Went through the bar like butter.
I used a jack to lift the bar into place without the wings on.
Little more trimming of the bar and inner mud flaps and its got 2mm clearance from plastic bar to bull bar.
Relocated the washer bottle with the bag supplied.
It's harder to explain it then to actually do the job.

My only advice is don't try and cut the bumper perfect straight up. Leave more than you need and trim it back once fitting.
The snorkel was a much harder job to do. Took longer than the bar lol.

Lol just noticed I screwed my number plate on crooked lol do'h. :oops:
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sootie on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 am

StiddyGLX-R wrote:Stock CVs for now. Lowest setting but it will still settle a little lower plus the bullbar weight it will come down to.
Cv angles still looks good at 620mm. Wouldn't want to push it more without extra modification.
Monster rides are going to be working on this later in the year. Already offered my car for RnD.
Plus George's mn triton build he has monster rides kit aswell with bullbar sitting at 610mm front so I figure I can do the same lol.

George has broken 2CV's already mate ;), they were replaced by Mitsu because it had only done 3000kms but I would keep it as low as possible mate.

Mad truck though very jelous of you being able to do all the mods straight up, I have to space mine out a bit to keep the minister of finance happy :lol:
Sootie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:05 pm

It should be fine provided he doesn't take it offroad or use 4wd :?:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Stiddy this looks awesome! You have accomplished so much already. I'm wondering if you crap money. Pm george and have a chat to him about cvs. He did bust a few, but he was riding it higher than you are. Now he has it wound down to lowest setting and hasn't had any dramas.
DocBassett

Next

Return to Member Build Ups