Fitting an Ironman L/R Tank

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fitting an Ironman L/R Tank

Postby jpb15 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi all,
Fitted a 125 Litre Ironman Tank, to the 2010 Triton GLX R.
Had an Idea, it normally took about 3 Hours.

To save time working out what needs to be done, I will let you know.

Probably most tanks will need to be done the same way, so this will help many people.

First.
Remove the spare wheel.
Remove the bolts supporting the brake line, and just let it hang loose.
Remove Tail shaft. Undo the bolts, to the rear diff. lower tail shaft, and pull the tail shaft, out of the gearbox shaft. There will be a small amount of oil lost here, so be carefull. we shoved a rag into the gearbox housing.
Take note of where the shaft ligns up with both ends, mark with something.
Remove the internal mud guards, on the passenger side, to access the hose conections, for the fill, and over flow, and breather.

We tied ropes, to support the weight of the tank, while we figured out the next stage. We did have the tail shaft, in the middle still and used the chassis to support the other side, and just slung the ropes under the tank.

We lowered the tank, and rolled it onto its side to access the Fuel lines on top of the tank, and the fuel tank sensor wires.
The wires on top of the tank, are held in position with 2 plastic clips which push into a slot, and open up to catches which need to be pushed in to give you enough slack to lower the tank enough to disconect the sensor wires, at the plug.

Disconect all tubes, 5 tubes being, the fill tube, the over flow, a breather, and the fuel line, and the fuel line return.
Take note of what tubes go where.

The old tank should now be on the ground. :D :D

Remove the fuel gauge sender, and Fuel return valve plate, and install in a similar position to old tank. Fix breather valve to tank.

Lift the tank, back into position. We were able to access all conections and tubes, with tank held loosley in position by the originall nuts.

Attach all the hoses, and the sensor wires, and then tighten the 4 support nuts for the tank.

There is an indentation in the side of the tank that lines up with the bolt that suppports the spring, we noticed that there was virtually no clearance between the end of the bolt, and the tank. We decided to put a small piece of rubber between the tank and this bolt, to reduce rubbing.

We had to shorten one of the bolts that support the brake line,and turn the bracket upside down to get it back into position. The longer bracket, there was no room for it, so we put a custom bend in the bracket, and tek screwed it back near its original position.

When attaching the breather tube, and the over flow hoses, they were longer than neccesary, and just cut them down to suit.

Put the tail shaft back, the mud guard trim etc, back and the spare tyre back, and started it up. :D :D :D

Total Time 5 hours for 2 of us.

If we weren"t scratching our heads as much, it probably would have taken about 3 hours.

I hope this helps

Jeff
jpb15

Re: Fitting an Ironman L/R Tank

Postby boycee on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Geez Jeff, 1 post and it's a pearler. 8-) Cheers for all that info, I have been looking at LR tanks for a while and have been trying to decide whether to get someone to do it or do it myself. Seems easy enough but because I'm a lazy bugger I think i'll get it done. :oops:

Welcome to the site. ;)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DPQ on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Just installed one of these myself as well not that hard at all. Makes life so much easier on trips not having to worry about whether you have enough fuel without going out of your way to top up the tank!
DPQ

Postby jrod on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:07 am

Hello all,

Just picked up my ironman long range tank, I got the ironman because it was about $400-$500 cheaper than the longranger. I'm planning a trip to Darwin in a month and will have drive at night so it will be good insurance (so will the spotties and bullbar).

Thanks for the post re installation, I think that my tank has a custom bracket for the brake lines. I've done a tank in another dual cab and your installation sound identical, good one. I will re post when the job is completed, not looking forward to it. I'm doing it on the ground by myself.

JRod
jrod

Postby jrod on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 am

Hello all,

Just picked up my ironman long range tank, I got the ironman because it was about $400-$500 cheaper than the longranger. I'm planning a trip to Darwin in a month and will have drive at night so it will be good insurance (so will the spotties and bullbar).

Thanks for the post re installation, I think that my tank has a custom bracket for the brake lines. I've done a tank in another dual cab and your installation sound identical, good one. I will re post when the job is completed, not looking forward to it. I'm doing it on the ground by myself.

JRod
jrod

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Good luck with it mate, there'll be a few of us installing them soon so we'll all be watching. Keep an eye out for swarf inside the tank as another member found quite a bit when he went to flush the tank out before use.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby George Kyro on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 pm

hi guys can any of you tell me how much the ironman 125 litre tank is and how much the longranger tank cost too ?
also is the longranger tank capacity 125 too ?

Cheers Georgie !
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby George Kyro on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:52 pm

hi guys can any of you tell me how much the ironman 125 litre tank is and how much the longranger tank cost too ?
also is the longranger tank capacity 125 too ?

Cheers Georgie !
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby mattz on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm not 100% sure on pricing but both tanks have the same capacity and the ironman one was a couple of hundred cheaper.
This was 18 months ago.
I went for the long ranger one because the iron man one wasn't in stock at the time and at least 8 weeks away. :roll:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby har05l on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm

You quote often see the ironman tanks on eBay for around $750-$800.

Long ranger are priced higher but google will give you your answer ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gravy on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Tried installing my ironman tank today but couldn't undo the 4 bolts on the tail shaft flange so I could drop the tail shaft. Is this what is needed or is there an easier way?
Tried fitting it with the tail shaft in but it is impossible.
Any advice would be appreciated.
gravy

Postby v8slrtorana on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:43 pm

following.
Need to do this myself
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 pm

gravy wrote:Tried installing my ironman tank today but couldn't undo the 4 bolts on the tail shaft flange so I could drop the tail shaft. Is this what is needed or is there an easier way?

I removed these to install a spacer. I used a socket and breaker with a long piece of steel as leverage. Was VERY tight
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby DrewXT on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Bigbirdalx wrote:
gravy wrote:Tried installing my ironman tank today but couldn't undo the 4 bolts on the tail shaft flange so I could drop the tail shaft. Is this what is needed or is there an easier way?

I removed these to install a spacer. I used a socket and breaker with a long piece of steel as leverage. Was VERY tight

We've found that you have to use a rattle gun on the Amarok when you drop the tail shaft... can't even move it with a socket and breaker bar...
DrewXT

Postby dunney on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Can anybody let me know if.your fitting kit included two fuel line for the install. I'm on my third attempt at having ironman supply the correct install kit. Beginning to turn into a joke
dunney

Postby v8slrtorana on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:14 pm

I stuck my hand in the box, and found this.
Still yet to fit the tank.
Click to view larger picture
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby v8slrtorana on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Installed the tank today.
Pretty much just going to add some pics, as the 1st post is pretty good.
Only thing is, I never removed the spare wheel.
I lifted the tank in & out by myself. Yes it was heavy.
Plastic mud cover off
Tank rear support studs
Front support studs and nuts
Washed the fuel level sender before removing it.
2 tanks side by side
Fuel level unit
Internal tank baffles
Installed new handbrake cable mount
Relocated hand brake cable
Tank in, tailshaft installed.
Then fill

Anything else you need to know ?
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rohan1993 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:27 am

I have a long range tank in my ml but unsure what make it is, last time the fuel light came on I filled it with 110 l

How accurate is the fuel gauge and warning light when they're fitted?
rohan1993

Postby Bikebear on Sat May 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Fitted my Ironman long range tank today. Turned out to be a pain in the arse because the flange for the front bolts was poorly aligned and about 2 mm too long and it wouldn't allow the tank to seat properly on the studs. I had to get a drill and a grinding stone to remove a few mm of the flange so the tank would actually go into position. Not real happy as the sales guy said it will fit straight in.
Also noticed the white fitting in the top (I think they refer to it as the rollover valve) sits touching the edge of the cab when the tank is in position, we used a punch to dent the edge in to give it some clearance. Also they say to fit the barb fitting before trying to put the tank in, this was a joke as it kept catching on the brake lines and the chassis and wouldn't let the tank go up into place easily. I ended up fitting it after the tank was in and it was a piece of piss.
Despite the problems and it taking a lot longer that the estimated 3 hours to install it all eventually went together and is now finished.
I paid $800 for it at the Cairns 2015 Home and Camping show which was a $50 discount on the quofed price.
Bikebear

Return to Fuel Systems