Im stuck in 4H! What the..???

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Im stuck in 4H! What the..???

Postby Lovethatcar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Had the car in 4LLC for a short drive, had the car completely out of 4 for another short drive Back in 2H. Tried to go to 4LLC with no luck and now catn go back to 2H and can't go to 4HLC or 4LLC. So at the present the vehicle is in 4H I believe with 4 Green tyres illiuminated on the dash, Unable to shift out! (09 Triton dual cab GLXR ML 3.2l)
Lovethatcar

Re: Im stuck in 4H! What the..???

Postby kxboss on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:43 pm

If is only a light on the dash indicating and the select lever is in 4x2 the your in 4x2. if the lever is in 4x4 your in 4x4 and cant get it out try reversing and keep wheels straight.

If only a light is indicating , check tyre pressures a difference in tyre pressures wiill cause the 4x4 lights to flash.
kxboss

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Try backwards, forwards, sit in neutral - just moving it around to unload the transfer if it feels like the stick is jammed in place. If the stick is moved but the lights are on don't worry it will sort itself out.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Lovethatcar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Stick is definitely jammed. Lights not flashing. Lights constant. It's definitely in 4H. Have tried both suggestions.
Lovethatcar

Postby TUF909 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:59 pm

See if you can jack a wheel up. Might release some wind up?
Sam.

Shed: http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3584

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17609

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
TUF909

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:20 pm

It has jumped out of position (transfer lever). Not hard to fix but the centre console has to come out and the stick removed and put back correctly.

A pita. I made a spacer to stop it occurring again.

No pics sorry. Did it ages ago.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:22 pm

If you have a glxr/super select it's still driveable. From memory based on previous reports, if you remove the gear knob and the centre console etc and the boots off the two selectors you might be able to access your problem. Pretty sure Tony and Har05l both had and fixed this issue.

Cowboy Dave

Postby inrut on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:38 pm

I Had this problem with my super select transfer. The problem with mine was a piece of the plastic coupling on the rolling point of the lever broke off and jambed the car in 4h. it was a $500.00 fix had to buy a whole new lever assembley and about an hours labour to fix. I will try put up a link.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16253
inrut

Postby har05l on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Correct you are CD

You'll find there is a plastic cup on the bottom of the transfer stick which has jammed you in 4H. Centre console needs to come out and remove stick carefully. If the cup isn't damaged you'll be able to put it back in place and get back to 2H, just be sure to do that before you put it all together again ;)

Where you at :?:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:56 pm

He's from Mulgoa mate, so your neck of the woods if he's at home anyway.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Toddyh on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:52 am

Same happened to me on Fraser. Remove the shifter and reassembled and all back to normal.
Toddyh

Postby Banjora on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Mine has done this twice now. First time the dealer fixed it under warranty. Most recently it happened again when we were out in the bush. I had a vague idea on what needed to be done to fix it but decided to carry on regardless. In the end I took it back to the dealer to fix again. This time it cost me $180.
Banjora

Postby fvee91 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 am

This happened to me, but I wasn't aware you can just remove the center console and reposition the lever. I worked out that the lever was only pushing on electrical switches inside the gearbox, so I cut the wires and put a switch on my dash. Now the selector only selects high or low range and the switch on the dash engages 4WD. Added bonus you can have Low range in 2wd for pulling heavy loads on tarmac (like retrieving a boat).

FYI I have easy select
fvee91

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:53 am

fvee91 wrote:This happened to me, but I wasn't aware you can just remove the center console and reposition the lever. I worked out that the lever was only pushing on electrical switches inside the gearbox, so I cut the wires and put a switch on my dash. Now the selector only selects high or low range and the switch on the dash engages 4WD. Added bonus you can have Low range in 2wd for pulling heavy loads on tarmac (like retrieving a boat).

FYI I have easy select

I suspect there are a few people that will be interested in what you actually did.
L200Shogun

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:37 am

fvee91 wrote:This happened to me, but I wasn't aware you can just remove the center console and reposition the lever. I worked out according that the lever was only pushing on electrical switches inside the gearbox, so I cut the wires and put a switch on my dash. Now the selector only selects high or low range and the switch on the dash engages 4WD. Added bonus you can have Low range in 2wd for pulling heavy loads on tarmac (like retrieving a boat).

FYI I have easy select

Somehow I suspect the transfer lever moves more than some switches... You might get the appearance of it all working nicely according to the dash lights but I doubt you truly will have it working properly.

Course I am happy to be proven wrong. ;)
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fvee91 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:54 am

Yes defiantly works, just engage 4WD and try to do a full lock turn, no question. Plus I got under the car, removed the boot on the front diff solenoid while someone operated the switch, moves it in and out. I worked out that the only mechanical actuation of the lever in the Easy select system is to engage high or low range. To lock in 4WD a vacuum solenoid on the front diff engages, this is done electrically by the selector hitting a switch in the transfer case.

From what I remember there are switches on top of the transfer case. You need to identify which one controls the solenoid on the front diff. Easiest way would be to unplug them and see if you can still select 4WD. Once you have the right one, just put a switch on the dash to make/break the contact. This will now be the only way to select 4WD.
fvee91

Postby Desert Brewer on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:44 am

Hi all, just got back from a pretty eventful easter camp. Had the 2011 GLX Manual engaged in H4 for about 70 km of slow two wheel track and about 25km of riverbed traversing - deep sand, rocks & pebbles, up embankments, unbogging a few people etc , anyway, on the way home yesterday arvo we came to the final gate where i stopped to take the car out of H4 and into H2, selector stick wouldnt budge - OK transfers a bit wound up, reversed for 30 - 40 m, still wouldnt budge, moving forward at 15kph, took foot of accelorator - not moving. Repeated this a couple of times - stick not moving.

Up until this point i have only been applying sideways pressure - so i try pushing down on the selector and moving it - no - still not budging. I try lifting up and moving down into H2 - selector moved alright - all the way up and out of what ever arrangement holds it in place. Selector stick now swinging in the breeze not attached to anything, i try putting it back into where ever it just came from - no joy. Ok stuck in H4 with about 100km of blacktop ahead.

Shouldnt be to difficult to fix, I was thinking along the lines of some osf the contributions above - some small little cup or pin has let go,no biggie. I will just drive home with 2 wheels on the dirt shoulder to reduce excessive strain on vehicles other moving parts.

Drive the 100km home at 60kph, pulled in the drive - why can i smell gear oil ? Look under the car - bottom of the car is covered in a fine film of gear oil - WTF. So the discovery of the gear oil has me thinking that it wont be a simple fix and that something else may have let go. Im not 100% sure on how the selector stick is mounted to the transfer case - but i assumed that if whatever coupling/cup/pin let go, enabaling the stick to detach, that it wouldnt allow gear oil to escape.

I have just had the motor replaced under warranty (cooling issue) and at the same time the techs addressed the 2-3 gear shifting issue. Im not sure if they need to muck around with the gearbox and transfer case in this process?

For what its worth - the car ran and performed very well, easily holdling its own against,Hilux's, prados, troope carriers and Range Rovers over the weekend, possibly outperforming some in certain areas. But.........a trip for me in this car wouldnt be complete without something failing.

Any advice, info, ideas all greatly recived before i ring the dealers tomorrow and let them know whats going on and what needs to happen to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

DB
Desert Brewer

Return to Drive Train Components