Daryn's Triton Mods

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Daryn's Triton Mods

Postby daryn on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Subject title inspired by Dylan :)

Ok, after being here hanging around asking questions, reading, learning and doing what ever else, I have now commenced what I call the major upgrades to the truck, in other words the expensive stuff.

So to start off I will just recap what had happened to it prior to now:

Pioneer Single Din DVD 7" screen player
Dual Rear 7" screen Headrests
Reverse camera
Roof racks
Roo Lites
Some Factory fitted stuff like liner, bonnet protector, seat covers etc.
You can view pics of these in my Shed

Recently when starting my "stage 2" mods the following stuff has been added:

Coupletec ERP - 2 pads self install model
DP-Chip - nice, very nice upgrade, fuel economy has not improved, why would it when you have some new found grunt.

Now, today with the help of an old buddy and his day job workshop (Loadrail-Newcastle) we commenced installing my newly purchased ARB Sahara Bar obtained from GRP Auto and a Kingone -Mako TDS 9.5i winch from Avenger Accessories after hours, started at 11:30am finished up at 6pm with a very small food stop in between.

Here are some pics:

Click to view larger picture

Pics are a bit blurry because I was stuffed by the end of it all and still recovering from the flu

My buddy Nathan prepared the truck for fitting whilst I fitted all the parts on the bull bar (worse than an IKEA box I reckon) and installed the winch. I have no photos of the winch going in at all unfortunately, but the main comment from all of the other guys at the workshop is that this winch looks very similar to the Premier, I would have to agree as well.

The only problem encountered was that we had to use a Warn Fairlead thingamejig as the supplied was impossible to install in the ARB bar.

So what is next happening well here is the schedule:

This Tuesday Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70 17" tyres going on all 5 corners
This Wednesday traveling to Sydney to Ultimate Suspension for them to do the works to the truck ie struts, shocks, coils and leafs.
Two weeks time install Safari Snorkle (already have it but I aint doing this myself) and install ARB rear step and bar.
Also on order are some Iroman side steps.

After that I hope not much else unless I can afford a front ARB locker, but I do know that I should be upgrading the bash plates.

This Triton is my work supplied vehicle so I am lucky that i get to drive it in my personal time, in work time it gets taken off road on its own to remote places and we need to feel as safe and capable getting to and from our destinations.

So I would like to say that I hope the final build up is going to be a pretty great truck, I have taken a long time deciding on what I wanted to do and decide on the products that I have chosen, I have put faith in forum members input and feedback and also in Site Sponsors "Avenger Accessories" and "Ultimate Suspension" (Ultimate sponsor I think the Hilux side of things, I am sure dave will correct me if wrong).
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Daryn's Triton Mods

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 pm

awsome work there Daryn good to see another build up thread , i think its good for other users to be able to rea through some complete build ups to get ideas for their trucks
Nice work mate
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby MR T on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:35 pm

looks great i like the colour coded bar seems to finnish it of
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby amalinze on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 am

If i ever decide to turn mine into a 4WD i'll be getting one of those colour coded bars, it looks great.
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby Homer on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:27 am

Looks good mate.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Wallace on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:50 pm

Daryn there is nothing wrong with sitting on the fence and taking information from other members to heart. ;) ;) After all that is the whole concept behind this forum and many others Dave is accountable for. We all share from our experiences and hopefully benefit from this in the long run.. Congrats on the bar work looks good....Say the ultimate suspension will be good........hope everything works out for you OK :D :D
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby daryn on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I tell you something though it bloody scares the crap out of you with these stupid law changes, I still have no idea how I will go with my insurance but will find out soon.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Well today the M/T ATZ 4 ribs went on, photos do not them justice, they are a real meaty A/T tyre.

Taking them down the highway tomorrow to Ultimate Suspension :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Avenger4x4 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Daryn,

Looks heaps better than what you described over the phone! Especially that control box :lol:

Spewing about the fairlead roller, I'll look into it and see what answers i can get.
Avenger 4x4 Accessories
Avenger4x4

Postby daryn on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Stage 3 is now complete.

Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265/75r17 x 5 added
Ultimate Suspension complete kit installed.

The tyres are great, they are noisier with a slight hum starting from about 40km/hr up to about 90km/hr, I am glad I got these and not the MTZ, photos just do not do them justice with how much meat they have, no MTZ but I reckon better than any other A/T out there for sure.

The suspension has to be driven to be believed, I am going to go out on a limb and say easily 400% better, the body roll left to right is next to nothing, I can now hoon through roundabouts with confidence, Buzzy will know this drive over Mt Sugarloaf to Orica, but this arvo I hit the mountain climb with up and down s bends and the truck just accelerated through them with the confidence equal to anything else I have driven through, just no body roll. This is great for me but better still the passengers dont get the sea sickness happening, also under brakes the vehicle brakes level, no nose diving at all, again great for passengers, but for me it means that the rear is not getting lighter and lessening the rear braking effect and throwing it all onto the front.

I had the chance this arvo for a quick blip off road and that was even better than onroad, the ride offroad is awesome, no being thrown around and being bounced around like a pogo stick.

It is a totally different vehicle to drive, totally different, the suspension would have to be the most noticeable change making the biggest impact of any other standard replaced feature. It is the single most important change to the truck, onroad safety and performance has been improved by miles and passenger comfort is now amazing, let the partners rejoice, they would shout the suspension change if they could experience what the difference is.

I know I am raving on a bit about the suspension, but it should have been done first straight after delivery, it is fantastic.

Here are some photos:

Last edited by daryn on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:43 pm

truck is looking good now Daryn , much more capable 8-)

I have the ATZ 4 rib aswell and they are an awsome tyre , watch out with the on road hooning though as they are a very soft compound tyre and will scrub the edges off in no time :shock:
and the edge is what you want them for
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Dylan, what pressures have you found good for onroad and offroad, or are you still house bound with it.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 pm

:( yeah still house bound with it but before that happened i found 38 a good pressure for the road , thats what the tyre guy said and it seems fine , havent done alot of km's on them

offroad in sand i had them down to 15 and no dramas , could go to 12 or so if real soft just watch the corner speed
rock i would prob have them at like 20
Dylan 191

Postby boycee on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Looks the good Daryn. I am just about to order 4 ribs or fc2's not sure yet.
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MR T on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:27 pm

go the fc2 i had them on the bravo and they were orsm and they are guaranted for 80,000ks
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby daryn on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:19 am

They are both guaranteed for 80,000 k's, keep in mind though that FCII's have been around for donkeys years where the ATZ is the newer modern version which I would hope is better designed for todays vehicles.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 am

[quote="daryn"]
I know I am raving on a bit about the suspension, but it should have been done first straight after delivery, it is fantastic.

That's what we've all been saying mate ;) welcome to the club 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:49 pm

ARB Rear bar got picked up from the spray painters today, exciting, it looks unreal with the metallic red finish.

Also, my Ironman side steps have arrived too. I am keeping them black.

The truck is getting heaps of positive comments with its transformation, have you ever been stopped in a Maccas drive thru and been quizzed on it ? I have now.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 pm

only once when i had my ke30 corrolla that sounded like a v6 on steroids :lol:
MR T

Postby daryn on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Stage 4 tonight:

ARB rear bar has now gone on, this is a really nice piece of work, looks awesome.

Also installed Ironman sidesteps, no-one even mention the Qld Rocksliders please, I aint a happy camper. So I will pretend they dont exist :)

Snorkle is next on the list.

Pics soon.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Some pics of the next additions:

Sidesteps

Rear Bar

Looking good:)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 pm

hey Daryn that is looking good mate 8-)
i reckon the barwork should of been all black but thats just me

top work ;)
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks Dylan,

I thought about that and it came down to that I can always paint them red at anytime and if I was to change to rocksliders later it is best to have them black to sell, otherwise the black is pretty discreet in the flesh.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm

daryn wrote:Looking good:)

understatement of the month - looking awesome mate, I'm very jealous 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 pm

I like 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Member Build Ups