Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby deermaster on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:38 am

seanlush wrote:so I went back to the suspension joint yesterday and they found that there was a loose ball joint nut and asked if I had any other work done on the car recently. considering the noise literally came when i drove out of the shop id say it was them.. annoying!

I took mine in and let them have a bit of a look. Going to drop it in on Thursday as it needs new bushes in the springs and at the top of the struts etc. It's going to be a $550 exercise, :shock: they had better get it right as haven't much faith in workshops around this way. The good one I used to go to that I could trust has moved to Brissy so too far to take it. The bloke where I am going seems a pretty good bloke and have know him for ages so reckon he might look after me. :!: :?:
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:05 pm

One other thing I was told by a friend at the Mitsubitchy place was on the bottom of the steering arms there's a sort of rubber seal, and to get some rubber grease into that as it squeaks a lot when its dirty.?? Just thought I would mention that. :D
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Got all new shackle rubbers fitted in the rear today, the old ones were siezed in there and dry as a dead dogs donger. They cleaned up the front top of the coils and put some lanotec lube in the steering bos where the rubber grommet is. Its as quiet as a mouse now. Only trouble is both rear springs have a second leaf down broken. :shock: They said it would be fine for a while if I wanted to leave it, but I have two near new override springs here at home and they said they will fit them next week for free. So all good so far. Didn't cost me $550 it cost me $311 It seems a lot but at least its quiet now. :D
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:24 am

Well after it warmed up its just the same as before if not a tad worse, it must be the broken spring leaves. :( :roll:
It will be off to them to fit my other springs in next week. Just lucky I didn't sell them as they were new over ride springs but when I got the two inch lift I just let them do the lot and kept the springs. :D

Just looked underneath this morning and now I have two broken leaves, :shock: the main one and second one so its staying here until next week when I can get the new springs fitted. :roll:
deermaster

Postby srb on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Broken main spring ay? Worn out and binding front eye bushes would most likely be the cause.

I broke 2 mains before I realised I had to service these bushes more often.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:40 pm

More often? I'm guessing that means more frequently than never? Geez, I'd better add it to the list. :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby deermaster on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:47 pm

srb wrote:Broken main spring ay? Worn out and binding front eye bushes would most likely be the cause.

I broke 2 mains before I realised I had to service these bushes more often.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

The mechanic said that the bushes were frozen solid in there and bloody hard to get out. The other side looks like its ready to go now too. I have just left it in the driveway and hope it makes it down to the garage in the morning. Lucky I have a near new pair of overload springs here ready to put in. That might fix the squeaking too. :D
As you can see in some of the photos I have posted, my truck goes off road a hell of a lot and has done some very hard miles. So the suspension lift I had done for around four years has done well, I wonder if they we5re like Ultimate with warrantee as these have only done around70000klms I might just ring them tomorrow. :D
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

Ok got the new old springs put in and still squeaks like an old man lifting bags of leather. I asked them to put rubber grease in the steering joint where the mitsibitchi man said and they didn't do that?? Pisses me off as just paid another $110 for them to pull strut and shock out and check and put back saying nothing wrong. It seems the same as always can't trust anyone to do the job you ask. Taking it back and getting up them tomorrow as they should have at least did what I asked them to do, rather than just spray some lanotec around it. :evil:
deermaster

Postby snakesoup on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:15 pm

did you get the control arm bushes checked ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby deermaster on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:27 pm

snakesoup wrote:did you get the control arm bushes checked ?

Yep all done and good, still got the squeak I reckon its the shockies as have tried everything else. :lol:
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am

deermaster wrote:

Yep all done and good, still got the squeak I reckon its the shockies as have tried everything else. :lol:

Anyone else got any other ideas? As it really makes me mad when I drive it, it's only when going slow or when I turn in and out of my driveway its louder as I am near stopped. It has to be something moving up and down, so I think it might have to be the shocks?? They are still good and doing their job properly so don't want to spend a heap getting new ones and maybe still end up with the squeak :roll:
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

deermaster wrote:
deermaster wrote:

Anyone else got any other ideas? As it really makes me mad when I drive it, it's only when going slow or when I turn in and out of my driveway its louder as I am near stopped. It has to be something moving up and down, so I think it might have to be the shocks?? They are still good and doing their job properly so don't want to spend a heap getting new ones and maybe still end up with the squeak :roll:

Just came back from the Mitsu dealer. A young mechanic came for a drive with me and then after telling me it was maybe upper control arm bushes etc, he looked underneath while I bounced it. Then he came back with I know what it is, its the bush in the bottom of the shockie, so just rang for new shockie bushes and after fitting will find if he was right. I sorta think he is as me and the mate played with it on rough surface the other day and it seemed to be coming from the shockie area. Heve to wait and see now as can't believe the amount of noise it's making. A srpay of CRC sort of quietened it a little bit but still there. :roll:
deermaster

Suspension

Postby nads triton on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Can anyone tell me if MN standard suspension is compatible with a ml? And if it will be any different ( higher )?
nads triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Yes and maybe, but if so, only in the front.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 pm

MN will fit ML. Mostly after market is the same coil rate (MN and ML) some kits are different.
Newer MN factory struts will give a lift in a ML.
L200Shogun

Postby nads triton on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Rightio can get a full kit for nothing done 25000 km, d just thought might be worth a try. Was really hoping for a freshen up in rear end as it has sagged
nads triton

Postby Bammo on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi Guys - need advice on new struts/shocks.

So 85k's now on a manual 2010 MN and the front end has started floating like a 1972 Cadillac. Drove back from the farm last night and it was downright ridiculous plunging up and down. Everything is stock except the tyres are slightly bigger.

I don't do much 4WD'ing - primarily this vehicle commutes to the farm and runs around the paddocks when spotlighting so I want reasonable handling but don't need a lift or any sort of hardcore capability. Money is a bit tight as I just replaced all the tyres (8 of the bastards including the trailer!) so looking for a budget solution.

1) Do I replace the struts and the rear shocks all at the same time? Rears seem OK but after 85K are they likely to be nearly stuffed too?
2) Assuming the factory replacements are still lame, what's a good budget brand given my limited offroad needs?
3) I see you can buy DIY spring/coil replacement kits - does it work out to be better DIY'ing the replacement as I've got a mate who can do that for me or is the cost of fitting new struts not much?

Thanks!
Bammo

Postby snakesoup on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:22 pm

can I fit a 265 75 16 tyre on the factory 16x6 steelies ? or are the too skinny?
snakesoup

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Look up the make/model of tyre you are considering and look at the specs. The few brands I looked at 6" is too narrow for 265s
L200Shogun

Postby snakesoup on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:54 pm

yeah I'm just wishful thinking, seeing if anyone had done it, not ideal hey
snakesoup

Postby deermaster on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 am

My 2007Triton 3.2 TD the front squeaks that bad I just cannot find out what it is. Replaced rear springs and bushes, then replaced bushes on front shocks then replaced upper and lower ball joints and still have this ungodly squeak. It seems like it is coming from the springs?? Spray CRC or Inox everywhere and its still there. When cold no squeak until you drive 3 or 500 meters then it starts?? Not sure but three or four mechanics told me different things and replaced all of them and still squeaks. Its been doing this for well over a year now and everything seems correct even had whole strut pulled out and checked and no one can find anything wrong and said its safe as. But boy this squeak is starting to drive me crazy. The best truck I have ever owned and will go anywhere and do anything but the bloody thing squeaks :roll:
deermaster

Postby borngeek on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:47 am

Have the upper control arms come a little loose? Usually need to be nipped up from time to time.. 19mm ring spanner ;)

(bushes in them too)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 am

What about your engine and diff mounts?
You cant replicate it by bouncing the front left?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 am

borngeek wrote:Have the upper control arms come a little loose? Usually need to be nipped up from time to time.. 19mm ring spanner ;)

(bushes in them too)

Well seeing the both of them top and bottom have just been replaced I reckon they would be right? :)

ag9111 wrote:What about your engine and diff mounts?
You cant replicate it by bouncing the front left?

Did you mean you CAN replicate it? Not Can't?? At times you even think you can feel the squeak through the steering, but only at times?? It's an annoying and strange thing for sure. Will check them out too, but feel sure the mechanics checked them too? Thanks anyway. :)
deermaster

Postby borngeek on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:28 am

Loosen and tighten the upper control arms on the ground.. they're usually done while raised. ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension