Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby Buzzy on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Fitted mine and took it for a quick squirt
Seems to be a bit smoother. Need to have a decent drive though. Barely got upto operating temp.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Schniff on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Well I actually fitted mine to an NS Auto Did Pajero (the EGR gaskets are identical) but had the check engine light come on after driving it. It went into limp home mode but luckily I have an ELMscan 5 plugged into my Car PC and was able to clear the fault. I removed the plate and all is well again.
I didnt use sealant as I wanted to be able to remove it quickly if possible, but I don't think there was any leak. I have a snorkel and with the window down you can hear a fair bit of induction noise under acceleration (sounds like the Variable Geo Turbo changing), with the mod down it was intimitant, as though it couldn't decide. The fault thrown was a "Turbo underboost' fault.
Schniff

Postby ahmo on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

is it ok to block thr egr at the exaust manifold and the egr valve,
ahmo

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:29 pm

There is no need to block it at both points. The best place to block it is only at the exhaust manifold. This then minimises evidence of tampering and retains the stealth nature of the modification. :)
GLX-R Alex

Postby Buzzy on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 am

Righto,
Had a decent spin yesterday, 100 odd k's
Definatly better, much smoother everywhere. $10 well spent 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:28 pm

How the f#$% do you get the bolt out closes to the firewall.. there's pipes and hoses and all sorts of crap in the way.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Use a flexi head extension..............worked for me and I was just loosening the bolts waiting for the plate..and then retensioned. And make sure u use a single hex socket.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Naff on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Was twisting my flexi head up.. got it eventually - another reminder why im not a mechanic. :roll:

Hope I got the right spot to install it.. :roll:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:31 pm

At least its done.. :)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Axe on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Just want to thank Alex for doing all the hard work...

Very easy to install, I have a Auto with about 3k on the clock, did a 160k trip and what a difference.

The talk though the low range is great, in the auto it was always gearing down to get you up to the change speed, but now just pulls though the gears. My economy is better - after my long trip I have 7.9l/100km - the best I have seen on my auto was 9.7.
I am still going to do more testing but I am more then happy so far.
Axe

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 am

Im glad eveyone is pleased with the results.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Naff on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:22 am

Yeah x2 everything said previously. $10 well spent. When I did get the original gasket out I noticed a lot of black crap around it so expect I have a bit of a carbon build up going on. Will have to get Mitsu to look at the manifold I think. :?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jimmy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:39 pm

got my blanking plate today thanks Alex, will try and fit it in the next couple of days and report my findings, thanks again mate
after Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF
jimmy

Postby Blue on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:21 am

Well my blanking plate has been in for a couple of days now and I like it... The torque delivery down low is better and I discovered that last night on the way home from work in the rain...lol Short shifted 1st to second and stood on it, soo found myself looking like a "P" plate hoon careening down Canterbury Rd on full opposite lock... :oops:
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:54 am

Yes No lag is fun...
GLX-R Alex

Postby Davey on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks Alex,

Got my plate also, installed it no probs, very happy with the results. Money well spent!
Davey

Postby NTBB on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:41 pm

Fitted my plate thanks alex. Have heard a pressure release sound out of the snorkle only started since plate has been installed.Has anyone else heard this? The improvement has been great :D :D :D
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Blue on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm

NTBB wrote:Fitted my plate thanks alex. Have heard a pressure release sound out of the snorkle only started since plate has been installed.Has anyone else heard this? The improvement has been great :D :D :D

Like driving a baby T604 with a baby CAT in it - brrrrrrrrrrrrrr - booooooooooooo - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - boooooooooooo - brrrrrrrrrrrrr - booooooooo... lmfao
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:39 pm

I think the turbo just gets more exhaust so its driving it a little harder. The sound you are hearing is called "Dosing" Its a lebanese term used to discribe the turbo noises on ther VL commodores when they back off the gas real hard...and the turbo chuffs a bit. Look up "Dosing"on youtube
GLX-R Alex

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 am

All right- has anyone had any problems post install?

I think I stuffed up, did it late at noght and the plate slipped down unknown to me so was only held by 1 bolt and not completly sealed, guess what check light....

I have reset the codes, and fixed the blocking plate into correct position but the light comes on every time I start up.

Now here is the interesting thing- the codes are really weird, I get P0004- undertandable...

BUT things like P0E024
and others with 2 letters ?????

Nothing like those codes are on the scanguage list.....

Is the computer stuffed????

Only get 1 code each time I start, and the code changes.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Homer on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:38 am

That's the problem with these f*cking computers and engine check lights. I'm so used to ignoring them now, I don't know if there is a serious one.

Have you tried disconnecting your negative on the battery? I know scan guage clears codes etc, but a reboot might help?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:04 am

Asked the wife last night if she would be able to connect the positive to the battery thismorning if I tried that. You can guess the answer.... Will wait until the weekend. ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Naff on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:29 am

I think I may have missed the boat a bit. Whilst there is a noticeable improvement with the plate installed, I'm also starting to experience what I would liken to a petrol engine missing - I used to have a Camira that had similar symptons, and after hundreds of dollars and multiple engine bits being replaced (including the ECU) some backyard mechanic turned around and said the throttle body needed cleaning :lol:

So, before I head off to Melbourne I'm hoping to get the car into Mitsubishi to check out the manifold etc. for carbon build up (I am at 50K now). Question is - will they find the EGR valve closed or do they not go anywhere near that? I.E should I uninstall the plate before giving it to them to look at?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patto on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:38 pm

I have a few cans of The Wyns EGR cleaning stuff coming - turn out an uncle a rarely see is the NSW sales manager for them.. Even with the EGR blanked im going to run it through.
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby Blue on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 pm

NaffX214 wrote:I think I may have missed the boat a bit. Whilst there is a noticeable improvement with the plate installed, I'm also starting to experience what I would liken to a petrol engine missing - I used to have a Camira that had similar symptons, and after hundreds of dollars and multiple engine bits being replaced (including the ECU) some backyard mechanic turned around and said the throttle body needed cleaning :lol:

So, before I head off to Melbourne I'm hoping to get the car into Mitsubishi to check out the manifold etc. for carbon build up (I am at 50K now). Question is - will they find the EGR valve closed or do they not go anywhere near that? I.E should I uninstall the plate before giving it to them to look at?

Naff, I had the new top manifold replaced in June and after ~20,000km it had 10mm of carbon build up right through it... I'd say a proper clean may well be your friend...

My plate has been in a week now and no codes or check engine lights have presented yet... Fingers crossed this is the end of the problem...
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks