Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 am

Sure it's not the bones squeaking DM, you are getting on mate ;)

Okay, back on topic, had a similar sounding problem in another vehicle (not a Tri) and turned out to be as AG suggested, worn engine mounts.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:48 am

Even worth checking for things mounted on body scraping on the chassis or visa versa.

Was amazed at the amount of body movement compared to chassis on that video clip of a yota in one of the other threads.

A couple of mm movement can generate noises that inspire using a 'shotty' to put something out of its misery. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Control arm bolts too tight can cause squeaking. Did on my Paj and no-one could diagnose except for Ultimate who spotted it in minutes.

The other common culprit is bash plates. If they get bent, even just a bit, they can cause noise as the chassis flexes.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snakesoup on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:03 pm

also worth checking the uni's on the tailshaft, they can squeak if they are buggered and binding up !
snakesoup

Postby deermaster on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:17 pm

explorer.dave wrote:Sure it's not the bones squeaking DM, you are getting on mate ;)

Okay, back on topic, had a similar sounding problem in another vehicle (not a Tri) and turned out to be as AG suggested, worn engine mounts.

Ha ha thought about that mate. :lol:
Will get engine mounts checked out, I am hopeless under the truck with only one eye and glasses that reflect everything back at me. I did try tightening the bolts on control arms and they were tight.\

NowForThe5th wrote:Control arm bolts too tight can cause squeaking. Did on my Paj and no-one could diagnose except for Ultimate who spotted it in minutes.

The other common culprit is bash plates. If they get bent, even just a bit, they can cause noise as the chassis flexes.

Bash plates could be a worry as mine have been bent many times. Really though when the noise is at its worst, the front right hand side spring seems to be the culprit even feel the noise through the spring? How the hell would I stop that if that is what it is? I must have used half a gallon of Inox spraying everything to try to stop it. That used to work a year ago, now it makes no difference? :roll:
deermaster

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Control arm bolts/nuts need to be torqued. Too tight is no good.

If it does turn out to be bash plates then I just spaced mine out about 3mm from the mounts. That was enough.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby deermaster on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:00 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Control arm bolts/nuts need to be torqued. Too tight is no good.

If it does turn out to be bash plates then I just spaced mine out about 3mm from the mounts. That was enough.

Well that's an easy one for me to try. I will make some little rubber washers and put under each bolt and see if that helps. It's funny though as when I put brakes on when going really slow, you can hear the squeak as the truck goes up and down a bit? Its got me stuffed :cry:

Edit to add, I had another bad noise that used to annoy me and found it was the roof rack with the spare tyre on making the noise. Took the tyre off and noise went. So those bash plates could be well worth a look. :D
deermaster

Postby ag9111 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Just take them off for a while.
Makes it easy to look at other stuff
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:28 pm

ag9111 wrote:Just take them off for a while.

I am picturing you lying under your car at night bash plates missing and ...

Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 pm

I didn't mean forever :roll:

I wonder about you sometimes :?

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:35 pm

ag9111 wrote:I didn't mean forever :roll:

I wonder about you sometimes :?

You too?

For me it's late at night during my alone times. Makes me feel less alone, you know?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:33 am

:shock:

TMI!!!!!

but thanks for sharing.

Not...........

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby deermaster on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:58 pm

ag9111 wrote:Just take them off for a while.

I will do that next week now as heading away this Friday for a few days and busy as the rest of this week, will just suffer the groans and squeaks :roll:
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Well It's fixed noise has gone. I went and saw a Kiwi bloke who does wheel alighnments and ask him to have a look. It took him two seconds to say,,,"Its the Shocky" He prised the rubber up and squirted CRC around the shaft and then got the rubber back down. Bounced it a few times and each time got quieter and after four bounces noise had gone. Amazing as I have spent quite a few hundred dollars trying to find the cause and he fixed it for nothing in a couple of minutes :roll:
Bloody happy to have a quiet truck again I can tell you. :lol: :D
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 pm

In case any one is wondering, theres still no noise at all and runs like a clock again. :D :D
deermaster

Postby Terror on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:49 pm

I've got a bit of sag on my front end from my bullbar and bash plates, is it ok to just get some heavy duty springs to bring it back up again? Someone told me I need to get new struts with the springs :?

Any recommendations?
Terror

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:02 pm

The standard struts will struggle to dampen heavier rated coils.
L200Shogun

Postby Terror on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:00 pm

L200Shogun wrote:The standard struts will struggle to dampen heavier rated coils.

Ok so new struts and springs then.. :cry:
Terror

Postby seed0023 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:36 pm

For maximum suspension travel purposes, has anyone upgraded the rear leaf pack to a longer lead pack for a different model vehicle.
I heard of a guy fitting rg colorado leaves with an extended shackle.

Thanks in advance guys.
I couldn't find a thread on this, please advise if there is one.
seed0023

Postby ultimate on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:54 am

The Triton leaves are already pretty long. I believe they flex very well when setup correctly with a long travel shock. Like any vehicle, you can keep customising to your heart's content. It just depends how far you want to go and what you are looking to achieve.

RG Colorado leaf springs are more commonly used on Hilux's for custom long travel set ups. They are 60mm wide as opposed to the factory 70mm MN tritons Springs. You would need to get different u/bolts plates, shackles and bushes to match the different width on the Triton. If going to a 60mm wide spring, I believe it would be easier to look at customising a MQ Triton leaf spring and using all of the ancillary components off that vehicle. With either option, your centre bolt positioning is going to be the biggest hurdle.

If you don't carry any weight and just want a flexible rear suspension setup, I would look at using a raised height comfort MK Triton spring. These have more camber than the MN springs, are slightly longer and can be made with 6-7mm thick leaves for more flex. The centre bolt needs to be flipped and you need an MK bush kit, but everything else is compatible.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Top End Wrangler on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:20 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
c-dale wrote:The chassis between the Triton and Challanger is the same isn't it? Would the rear end from a challanger bolt on to the Tri? If they are the same is it purely the wagon body that reduces the chassis bending issue as the springs would be located in the same spot that is seen as the cause of the problem in regards to airbags wouldn't they?

Only the front half is the same. From the rear door back they are completely different and, of course, the Challenger doesn't have much overhang behind the rear wheels. The chassis wouldn't have the same flex as the Triton, but then it wouldn't need to. No doubt the body contributes to stiffness as well.

Okay so had a thought while on leave over xmas and couldn't stop thinking about how bad my ride is on my 2008 ML D/Cab GLXR. Can the rear suspension from a challenger be grafted onto the triton's chassis ? Obviously engineering etc needs to be done and could the rear diff from the challenger be used to save time with welding mounts on the existing diff for linkages and pan hard rods etc. Ring & Pinion may differ between the two ?

I have an alloy tray and travel empty 95% of the time. For the 5% I could fit airbags in the coils. Just a thought and I believe this would be a great ride.

Option 2 - I was thinking a single spring (Parrabolic or similar) and run air bags. I am in heavy transport and the ride from a single spring and airbags on the steer axles of some of my trucks is amazing .....

Just looking at different options rather than going down the Ultimate vs everyone else avenue ....
Top End Wrangler

Postby snakesoup on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 am

take some leaves out of existing springs?
snakesoup

Postby Headley on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Headley

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Nope.
Chris

NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension