MQ Triton - Error Code P2413

MQ Triton - Error Code P2413

Postby Rain on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi guys,

I own three MQ Tritons and the oldest MY15 has done just over 95200kms and the driver rang me up today to inform me about the CEL. Plugged in my cheap ebay bluetooth obd scanner and I got the above error code. I have searched the forum and found out that it is a common issue with the tritons and ill most likely have to replace the EGR motor to get rid of the CEL. Just giving you guys a heads up and now I am planing to install 'EGR OFF' modules on all three vehicles to avoid this issue with the other cars (hopefully).

Cheers.
Rain

Re: MQ Triton - Error Code P2413

Postby jerrah on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:35 am

Rain wrote:now I am planing to install 'EGR OFF' modules
Which module are you hoping to install? Keen to see how you go but if you have a faulty EGR unit I think you'll still need to replace the EGR unit. All the electronic EGR disable units say they still open the EGR for overboost etc. Guys with full plates will get boost spikes presumably when the electronic throttle closes.
jerrah

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:59 am

Might be worth simply pulling out the suspect unit and see if its stuck as a result of crud buildup.

Have you got a list of EGR off units jerrah?

Why would EGR open on over boost?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rain on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Small update..I still haven't been able to open to bonnet and do any inspections. I have checked the price of a new EGR unit from my local stealers and they go for around $950. It is a special order item and they said it could even take up to two weeks depending on stock levels. He couldn't help much further as he was having issues with his computer.

Does anyone know if a faulty EGR unit can do any harm to the engine if I keep driving it?

Cheers.
Rain

Postby Rain on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:25 pm

jerrah wrote:
Rain wrote:now I am planing to install 'EGR OFF' modules
Which module are you hoping to install? Keen to see how you go but if you have a faulty EGR unit I think you'll still need to replace the EGR unit. All the electronic EGR disable units say they still open the EGR for overboost etc. Guys with full plates will get boost spikes presumably when the electronic throttle closes.

This is the module I was thinking of buying. It is cheap and if it can keep the EGR unit OFF at all times then the motor would never go bad, hence no CEL.
https://munji.com.au/products/4d56-mn-c ... sel-engine
Rain

Postby jerrah on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Rain wrote:Does anyone know if a faulty EGR unit can do any harm to the engine if I keep driving it?
I couldn't imagine it would do any harm, you might have lower performance theoretically depending on which way it's stuck. When I bought my MK the EGR was busted and stuck open, it idled rough but otherwise drove fine until I fixed it. It drove better after I fixed it and it was very filthy in the intake manifold but I don't think it did any harm. Wouldn't your MQ still be within the 100,000km warranty so not needing to spend $950 on the part?

Rain wrote:This is the module I was thinking of buying.
Have a look at this thread that has been going on for a while.Tony aka SPV Industries makes mention of a couple of things. Mainly that 4n15 uses the EGR valve for various DPF and overboost "blow off valve" related features for when the electronic throttle plate shuts. The Munji and various other solutions for electronic EGR put a resistor on one of the MAF wires which tricks the ECU that the intake air is too cold causing the EGR to stay shut. This could additionally effect the fueling of the motor as the ECU thinks the air is more dense than it actually is. Other people in that thread did some back to back testing and said that using the Munji cable the engine produced less boost and felt slower.

In the same token nobody appears to have actually seen Tony's "better" solution until that happens I guess you could either do:
a)nothing and soot up (debatable if this is an issue when using a catch can)
b)munji cable it and lose some performance and potentially bore wash diesel into the oil (hypothetically)
c)put a full plate in but lose the boost release function and throw an error code occasionally.
Last edited by jerrah on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerrah

Postby jerrah on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:13 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Have you got a list of EGR off units jerrah?
Sample size of one currently (Munji) see the other thread of info on what people have been doing

Why would EGR open on over boost?
On diesels without throttle plates they're not required. As these modern diesels have trickier turbos and electronic throttle plates I suspect it does it to stop a surge of pressure back to the turbo or blowing hoses off the intercooler. My understanding is the EGR opens when the MAP sensor goes over a certain pressure and the excess boost goes out the exhaust. If that is in fact what it does it works differently to a petrol car where the recirc or blow off valve takes the pressurised air from the after intercooler air and dumps it on the pre-turbo side when the manifold goes into high vacuum. (throttle plate shut)

I do know when I'm under a lot of load in the MQ and then I shut down the throttle suddenly I hear a WHOOSH sound out the snorkel that sounds somewhat like a recirc. (which it wouldn't if it was releasing pressure back through the EGR.)
jerrah

Postby ls2cruiser on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:25 am

Jerrah, the other thread that you are placing a link to has mentioned on page 7 that chiptuning has a EGR module now available. Do we know if it for a MQ EGR? There seems to be some confusion here.
ls2cruiser

Postby jerrah on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:27 am

ls2cruiser wrote:Jerrah, the other thread that you are placing a link to has mentioned on page 7 that chiptuning has a EGR module now available. Do we know if it for a MQ EGR? There seems to be some confusion here.
It says on their page "Triton including MQ". I have no more information than that.
jerrah

Postby glowplug on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:45 pm

I have order one from chiptuning expect it in the post tomorrow :)
glowplug

Postby Rain on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Just a small update..unfortunately no pics...

Took the whole thing apart this morning in the rain and it wasn't too hard to take the EGR unit off the car. You only need a 12mm socket, couple of small extensions and a pair of pliers. Removing the battery is a must as it gives you a whole lot of space to play around with. Overall it took me around 1hour to remove the unit from the car. Lost about 4 litres of engine coolant in the process and other than that it was just a breeze.

The power socket that actually connects to the EGR motor is just a 'push in' tyre socket with no real mechanism to hold it in place. Took me a while to figure that out as I was running my finger all around the socket to check if there is any plastic bit that needs to be pushed in before pulling the socket out.

The unit itself was in great shape and had no gunk or sludge in it at all(wish i'd taken pictures). There was a tiny bit of carbon buildup inside and around the valve which was easily removed with some carby cleaner. EGR unit comes in two pieces. 1.The motor unit 2.The aluminium enclosure that has the two valves in it.
One of these valves is operated by the motor and the other has a vacuum activated actuator.The motor is mounted on there with four small screws and it is a sealed unit.

Honestly I just don't understand why mitsubishi wouldn't sell the motor separately as it would greatly reduce the repair bill. The motor itself shouldn't cost more than $100-150 even after their ridiculous OEM surcharge. Even when you look at the whole assembly, it doesn't look like a complicated bit of kit that is worth around $950. Who knows, MQ series is still new and prices may eventually come down in the long run.

Anyway, put it all back together after a good cleanup and drove the car around 10kms and I had no CEL on the dash and it all felt normal. Driver has come and picked up the car and i'll know how successful the cleanup was by tomorrow morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one and worse case i'll have to order a new unit from mitsubishi. I'll keep this post updated..

Thanks for all your input and support guys.. :D

Cheers.
Rain

Return to Electrical