Mq dual battery setup?

Re: Mq dual battery setup?

Postby luckysmit2 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:46 am

Do i need a dc to dc on my mq. Its a lot of money i can spend on other stuff.
luckysmit2

Postby jerrah on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 am

MQ's are constant rate so if you don't want one you don't need one.
jerrah

Postby blackmagic on Mon May 01, 2017 8:29 pm

striker99 wrote:This is the setup I went with; the battery Tray
is made by off-road armoury I think it was. Using the original main battery to run the fridge, and a smaller 630cca battery I already had for the starter.

Click to view larger picture

G'day mate , where did you get the bracket to hang the VSR ??
blackmagic

Postby striker99 on Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey I bought mine from eBay, just lookup "BCDC bracket". The only bugger was ir was made of 3mm stainless steel so drilling through it to make a few extra mounting holes for the charge controller is crazy hard without access to a drill press.

If you look closely on the picture I got desperate and bolted some 3mm ally flat bar to the Mount holes on the bcdc bracket as I couldn't manage to drill through it at the time haha...

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161749118828
striker99

Postby FuzzyBear on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:51 pm

What size is the second battery?

I don't need a lot of capacity so a smaller second battery would easily suit my power requirements.

Unless of course people have already found suitable smaller deep cycle battery.

Cheers

Fuzz
FuzzyBear

Postby thehosie on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 am

striker99 wrote:This is the setup I went with; the battery Tray
is made by off-road armoury I think it was. Using the original main battery to run the fridge, and a smaller 630cca battery I already had for the starter.

Click to view larger picture

Sorry for digging up old thread. I'm wanting to install smaller crank battery like your setup, can't see from pic did you earth new crank battery to chasis or back to aux battery which I can see still uses original earth cable?
thehosie

Postby striker99 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi, I kept the original earth wires to the original starter battery. I ran about 0B&S wire from the negative on the original starter to the second battery. I didn't ground the second battery to earth but I figure this setup is good enough.

My second battery is an excide extreme starter battery, about 630cca and 63ah, I use this as a starter battery, and use the original starter for accessories.
striker99

Postby kshep89 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 am

Incase anyone wanted to know, it is possible to fit 2 x 12” batteries under the bonnet. I got the below battery tray and put a Delkor M27 Marine Battery at the back and the oem crank battery at the front with some slight modification. I packed out a gap between the 2 trays with 5 washers and longer bolts and had to trim the diagonals off of the front of the tray with an angle grinder so the oem battery’s corners could slightly hang over the front. The hose on the power steering res now touches the tray though so I wrapped it in sheet rubber and zippy ties to protect.

http://offroaddownunder.com.au/product/ ... iton-copy/

https://www.delkor.com.au/en-au/product ... ries/m27-m
kshep89

Previous

Return to Electrical