Mounting location for UHF radio

Mounting location for UHF radio

Postby jerrah on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 am

Just wondering where people are mounting their UHF radios in their MQ's? I've thought about the little cubby in front of the gearstick but it seems a bit small. Alternatively up under the dashboard with one of those units where all the controls are on the hand piece.
jerrah

Re: Mounting location for UHF radio

Postby Bammo on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm

I've got two radios in mine - both are pretty solid 50W units, one VHF and one UHF and they generate too much heat to want them hidden inside the dash. I have them both attached to the sides of the central transmission tunnel - basically where your left knee rests as the driver (right knee for passenger). The mounting brackets are simply screwed into the molded plastic about inline with the gear box and angled so you can see the screen from the drivers position.

Surprisingly enough they don't get in the way there - two of us spent the weekend shooting foxes from the front seats of the ute and normally that's an acid test that anything not solidly installed or in the way gets identified very quickly.

So very easy and quick install but you do wind up with a couple of small holes in the plastic trim.
Bammo

Postby murdochs on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Hey Bammo, would you mind posting a pic of the radios mounted please.
At the moment, I have a 9db aerial on nudge bar, and have a 5w hand radio connected to the antenna, which just sits in the cup holder. Works well, until you are on bumpy roads. :)
murdochs

Postby Proof on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 pm

I am currently looking into UHF options and I am going to buy a Uniden UH8080NB and mount it behind the air con controls and have the mic/controls/speaker come out under the trip and on top of the carpet beside the passengers right leg and hang on the square plug beside the rear diff lock switch

hopefully it all works out anyways

Cheers
Proof

Postby jerrah on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:04 am

I'm also interested to know where people are sourcing their 12v power from. I did some digging around behind the dashboard but I could find an easy way to get at the back of the cigarette lighter. I could run a new wire from the battery but I'd like it to be ign switched.
jerrah

Postby bigboots on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:47 pm

I have a GME TX3340 (discontinued item) but they have undated version. This unit is super-compact with remote mic. Mine is velcro'd in the passenger foot well and the power is wired back to the fuse panel and connected using the Narva wire tap connectors. Mic just sits in the cavity in front of the gear stick.
I've had no hassles with the location or the volume from the speaker. Could probably do with a remote speaker but the output from the unit is basically OK. The advantage of this mounting is that I can remove it when I dispose of the unit. It was mounted the same way in a Pajero which went around Australia on all road surfaces with no problems.
bigboots

Postby jerrah on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:52 am

bigboots wrote:the power is wired back to the fuse panel and connected using the Narva wire tap connectors.
Thanks for your feedback big boots. Which electrical circuit did you tap into? I was thinking of using something like these and tapping into an unused fuse location like the heated/electric seats. I haven't tested if they're switched by accessory but you'd assume heated seats wouldn't be live at all times!
jerrah

Postby adam_kayla on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:28 pm

I have an ICOM mounted under the cig socket, piggy backed onto the cig circuit.

Pulled out the ceiling to the little tray area, cut a rectange to the back so the unit slides in and sits flush with the rest of the fascia, and glued an angle behind to hold the rig in.

Sits nice and neat, and enough room to slip the little tray in and out. will upload some photos later
adam_kayla

Postby bigboots on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Jerrah,

Not sure which circuit but will check and advise.
bigboots

Postby jerrah on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:53 pm

adam_kayla wrote:Sits nice and neat, and enough room to slip the little tray in and out. will upload some photos later
That sounds pretty slick. Looking forward to seeing it!
jerrah

Postby kxboss on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:00 am

I have had an Oricom for three years and is a mic control model nothing on the unit all control's on the mic, mounted under the seat and hooked into the cig lighter wiring in console.
kxboss

Postby adam_kayla on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:41 am

sorry for the late reply (couldn't figure out how to attach pics)... pics now attached. I only plug the hammer in when going on trips.

http://i.imgur.com/cfujaaA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DfbmqDT.jpg
adam_kayla

Postby tondo12 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi. Just purchased at oricom, now just need a wire to tap into..
I Have an MN. Would i be safe to tap into the 12v cig outlet cable that papers the outlet in the center console?
tondo12

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Its safe to tap into cig power for cab as it doesn't actually draw much.

On my rig I used one of the piggy back fuse holders to grab a permanent supply on the fuse block.

The optimum installation usually runs a positive and negative directly off the battery, for best quality of power and minimum noise induction.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jacm on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi folks,

I would also like to tap in to the cigarette lighter for a power source, but I can't work out how to get the socket out to get to the power (or even how to get to it!) any tips will be gratefully appreciated.

Interestingly in MQ the USB plug is to the far right rather than the left (and I cant work out to get that out either...) and blank to the left of it has a bunch of wires with a plug going into it (and going nowhere!)

hopefully that makes sense
Cheers
John
jacm

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 am

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby als1200 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:04 am

Use the fuse piggy back. Much easier way of doing it.
als1200

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 am

X2. Piggyback fuse holders are a brilliant idea.

Gives you the option of permanent or switched supply & easy to get at cab fuse in future.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

UHF placement in Cabin

Postby Drunken015 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 am

Hey guys, next on the shopping list is a Oricon or GME UHF but I've been scratching my head as to where's best to attach the hand piece on the dashboard. General Google image searches seem to show everything but MQ triton interiors. If you have any pics of your UHF install, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Drunken015

Postby sandparkmark on Fri May 04, 2018 4:05 pm

jacm wrote:Hi folks,

I would also like to tap in to the cigarette lighter for a power source, but I can't work out how to get the socket out to get to the power (or even how to get to it!) any tips will be gratefully appreciated.

Interestingly in MQ the USB plug is to the far right rather than the left (and I cant work out to get that out either...) and blank to the left of it has a bunch of wires with a plug going into it (and going nowhere!)

hopefully that makes sense
Cheers
John

What is that wiring loom plug behind the blank plate?
I will add some pics of my uhf install..... when i work out how to add pics. :/
sandparkmark

Postby sandparkmark on Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Oops
sandparkmark

Return to Electrical