Projector headlights upgrade

Projector headlights upgrade

Postby denber on Sat May 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Anybody tried to upgrade the stock projector headlights of the MQ? The bulbs is only 25w and a d5s base which is not a common base and no available 35w.
So im thinking of replacing the projectors into a projector that can accept d2s bulbs.
Still making some research on the stock projectors as to what will be the ideal replacement.
Planning to use kioto Q5 or evo x-R.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk
denber

Re: Projector headlights upgrade

Postby Merts on Sun May 28, 2017 6:03 am

My understanding is that the lower output of the MQ HID lights is the reason they don't require washers and auto levelling. If you put higher output units in, they would be illegal.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby denber on Sun May 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Oh ok. Australia seems to have strict law on modifications I guess.
I' m from the Philippines[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I just thought someone might have upgraded their headlight here. But thanks for the heads up.

denber

Postby colin b on Sun May 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I wanted to upgrade my Triton's lights but as I don't do a lot of night driving didn't want the expense or nuisance value of spotlights.

My solution was to buy some after-market Phillips globes from my local parts place. They claim to be 150% brighter than the standard globes which should be enough.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby denber on Sun May 28, 2017 1:16 pm

colin b wrote:I wanted to upgrade my Triton's lights but as I don't do a lot of night driving didn't want the expense or nuisance value of spotlights.

My solution was to buy some after-market Phillips globes from my local parts place. They claim to be 150% brighter than the standard globes which should be enough.

I've tried to go in that direction before but the bulbs on my truck has a d5s base. I dont know if the same in australian MQ models. Only philips as of the moment has a 25w d5s but I tjink its an upgrade from a stock bulbs.

denber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Correct Merts.

Denber, you have a couple of options:

1. The D5S has an integrated ballast, so very compact and 2000 lumens max at 25w. This is still quite bright though and 30-50% brighter than a good H4 halogen bulb. However, there are aftermarket drop in replacements which are 35w (about 3000lm) or even 50w (4000+lm). Quality is a bit iffy but, compared to $400 per bulb, yes, PER BULB, for factory replacements, they represent remarkable value, starting from around $20/pair. You can keep your original bulbs should one of the cheapies die, which they will. ;) Maybe buy 5 sets for $100 so you have some spares. The factory projector itself actually isn't that bad and will do a reasonable job of controlling the extra glare from a higher powered bulb.

2. Replace the projectors, as you suggest. The whole headlight needs to be taken apart and some surgery is required to the plate on which the projector is mounted. Replacement of the mounts is also needed since the replacement projector (being bi-xenon, with solenoid and shield) is quite a bit heavier than the stock unit and the MQ is already subject to shake. There are ways to do this but it needs to be done properly or the light will fall down. Been there, done that.

I don't think that the Evox-R is that good. But, which Q5? Real OEM (secondhand) will set you back $250 and units for left hand traffic as we have are only available ex Japan, unless you know a panel shop that has one in where the projectors themselves are recoverable.

Aftermarket? Yes, they are available but there are at least 4 factories, that I've been to, making these things and quality varies from very good from one factory to abysmal from most of the others. Most of what is sold on AliExpress and the like is the crappy quality. The big wholesalers don't sell on those sites any more so you need to know where to buy the good ones. I spent nearly a week trudging around Guangzhou last year visiting suppliers for these and other products. Do you have any idea how big a city of 20 million people is, even when they're crammed together like sardines? :shock:

There are different models too - if you're replacing existing projectors the most common ones won't work since they're designed for reflector headlights.

My experience tells me that DIY retrofitting the MQ is going to end in tears. It took me a couple of prototypes to get the design right and I do lots of these.

EDIT: Missed the bit about you being in the Phillipines, so ignore what I said about left hand traffic projectors. That remains relevant for Australian readers, though.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby denber on Sun May 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Thank you for that info NowForThe5th.
I dont have any problems in modifying my headlights since I've already retrofitted the headlight of my previous Strada(MN in australia) using an 3" fxr 3.0 and a 35w philips 85133 d2s bulbs.
For good parts TRS, lightwerkz and blackfllame cutoms from US are good options and they are authorized distributor of morimotos. But the shipping cost to the philippines of UPS is not practical. Also I dont buy stuff o line like ebay or Aliexpress when it comes to retrofitting. A lot if fakes are sold there.
I contacted Micks (australia and he has some evox-r LHD projectors. I know evox-r is not that impressive but if I plugged in a philips 85122XV C1 d2s bulb, with o good oem ballast then it would be way better than the stock output.
Edit: you said "been there done that" on the projector mounts. Do you have any pictures? I've been reading a lot of shaking issues of the MQ's on this forum but luckily we dont have that kind of negative feedbacks on our GT's(MQ) in the philippines.
denber

Postby denber on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

Just want to update this post. I had some time to so my retrofit on my vacation leave.

Upgrade from stock 25w d5s to 35w philips 85122xvc1 d2s bulbs, morimoto mini d2s 4.0 projectors, morimoto xb35.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

denber

Postby denber on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 am

Before and after. Apologies on the quality of the shots since this is just from my dash cam (dark tint windshield) and phone pics.

The cut-off is more sharp, color flicker is better. intense output on low and high beams.
Wanted to install res demon eyes but our government just implemented new laws against colored headlight bulbs, drl's and other stuffs so I ditched the idea.Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

denber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am

That’s a nice cutoff and outcome
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am

Even though they've been around for a while the Mini H1s are still quite a good projector.

That's a nice neat job. You put the ballasts inside the housing? Tidy but a problem if one ever dies (and those Morimoto ones do).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby denber on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Even though they've been around for a while the Mini H1s are still quite a good projector.

That's a nice neat job. You put the ballasts inside the housing? Tidy but a problem if one ever dies (and those Morimoto ones do).
Thanks for the compliment.
I'm using a mini ds2 4.0, Actually my firts choice was the rx350 w/ modded lens(STi-R) but opted to get the md2s instead due to space and price but great low beam and exceptional high beams. The only complaint I have is the steep step but I can live with that.
MH1 is good but I'm not a fan of some bulb base issues though it is on its 7th version as of now.
The reason why I installed tha ballast inside is that I dont want to compromise the watertightness. And I want to make it as clean as possible with no extra wires sticking out.

denber

Return to Electrical