Wheel stud warning

Need something to get you rolling?

Wheel stud warning

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 am

I always fit my wheel nuts by hand, but the Triton had a wheel alignment done recently, and they rotated the tyres, so I suspect that they use a rattle gun.

I was fitting a set of brakes today, and when I was bolting the wheels back on, a couple of the studs felt "cheesy". I hadn't even got to the torque wrench yet, just the initial tighten.

Put the torque wrench on (set to 110Nm) and one of the studs let go long before the setting :shock:

Click to view larger picture

You can see the darker area on the left. This is where the stud has been cracked for some time (since the tyre rotation :evil: ). The lighter area is what was holding it on. At least 2 more studs feel like they are the same on this side, and there are 2 that feel crook on the other side. All this from one experience with a rattle gun :evil:

Lesson; insist that tyre shops hand torque your studs, and if you have any that feel even remotely dodgy, change them.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Wheel stud warning

Postby Mayhem2015 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 am

WOW!! Unpleasant for sure.

I generally remove my studs with the rattle and then hand tighten, rattle on low setting then torque up.

Bill, do you see any excessive risk removing them with my technique? I assume safest is hand tools but the way I do it only seams marginally more risky. Thoughts?

Are you pursuing the service centre to replace broken parts? My mate had the same thing happen on his Prado. Stripped the thread rather than complete failure but they had replace the whole lot.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:16 am

Mayhem2015 wrote:WOW!! Unpleasant for sure.

I generally remove my studs with the rattle and then hand tighten, rattle on low setting then torque up.

Bill, do you see any excessive risk removing them with my technique? I assume safest is hand tools but the way I do it only seams marginally more risky. Thoughts?

Are you pursuing the service centre to replace broken parts? My mate had the same thing happen on his Prado. Stripped the thread rather than complete failure but they had replace the whole lot.

I don't see an issue removing them with a gun, but I never do it, just out of habit.

I won't be able to pursue anyone over this, as it would be very hard to prove that it was their fault, especially as I was the one to actually break them. It's probably a cumulative thing from dealerships and other tyre places using rattle guns set to the usual "tighten it until it strips, then back it off a quarter turn" setting.

I'll just duck down to Tynan tomorrow and buy a full set of studs, and take the brakes off. Again...... :roll:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:29 am

I went round to my local tyre shop just in time to see the fitter using the impact wrench to start the nuts on my wheels and over tighten the thread he already cross threaded, he got up to walk away and I made him remove all the nuts from all the wheels and inspected them for damage. The manager was standing in the background and didn't say a thing. I found three nuts and studs stripped and he was happy to let me drive away on the highway with that. I made him order on the spot three new studs and nuts, to replace them. I marked them and took it back the next day to get the studs knocked out and replaced. The manager still didn't still didn't say a thing and I never went back there. The place I go now for the past 15 years from the shop owner on down I have never seen them other than start the nuts with their fingers and now finish with by hand. They did go through a period where they torqued the finish with an indicator on the wrench but looks now like they have gone back to the hand method.
jrs184

Postby aybe on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:13 pm

The tyre service busted one on mine(and paid for it)when I had new wheels and tyres fitted at about 1500k's.Are Triton studs particularly weak?As I haven't heard any one else complaining in general conversation.
aybe

Postby murwullambah on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:15 pm

How do you know when a stud is remotely dodgy, is it the feel or the look, not sure what to look for.
murwullambah

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:21 pm

murwullambah wrote:How do you know when a stud is remotely dodgy, is it the feel or the look, not sure what to look for.

If the thread looks crossed or damaged, it's dodgy. If it feels "cheesy" or "stretchy" when you are torquing it, it's suspicious.

IMHO, Triton studs are soft. Compared to the studs I run in my trailer, which are grade 12, they feel really weak.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby diver albie on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:25 pm

I recently had a service done by a large Mitsi dealership then a week later a new set of tyres fitted. 3 studs on one wheer and 2 on anotger were cross threaded and wrecked by the dealer. Tyre guy actually stopped removing tyres to show me. I went back to dealer who initially tried to blame tyre fitter until I quite vocally in a very crowded service reception put them straight. They tried to replace just the damaged ones but I insisted on every stud on every wheel as if they wrecked 5 how could I be sure the remainder weren't damaged. They weren't overly happy but complied
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby murwullambah on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:44 pm

And we trust these mutants to do work on our cars at an exorbortant rate, frightening.
murwullambah

Postby snowman on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:47 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:I won't be able to pursue anyone over this, as it would be very hard to prove that it was their fault, especially as I was the one to actually break them. It's probably a cumulative thing from dealerships and other tyre places using rattle guns set to the usual "tighten it until it strips, then back it off a quarter turn" setting.

I had this happen and had to replace every single one front and back just because i wasn't wanting to be driving along wondering if any others were suss.

i am almost positive it was the tyre shop who installed my muddies when the car had about 20 klms on it (not 20 thousand - 20 like one more than 19). :roll: :evil:

it didn't raise it's head for a little while just like you BMQ until i was swapping my muddies for OEM's down the track it broke off in my hand.

Recently i had a mates car get some tyre work and the fitter got a bit shitty with me when i told him not to rattle them on. The problem is you cannot be there with your car for every service etc. When you go to a tyre or brake place and at least see a torque bar on the gun it is a reassuring.

You would think this issue is mechanics 101 but i don't have a whole lot of faith in he industry to be honest.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Interesting, l was told by a mate in the racing industry that it is now illegal for tyre companies to use rattle guns just for the above reasons, if this is so, and he may have been referring to WA only, it is obviously something that is widely ignored / overlooked.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mudslinger on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I've been using lube mobile/ mobile mechanics that way i can watch over them and learn, as well as keep an eye on the work they do.
mudslinger

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:24 pm

It's amazing that something so important is entrusted to a poorly trained and educated tyre monkey or dealership technician.
Lose a wheel and it could have fatal results for you, your family or innocent third party.

I wonder how many accidents are attributed to wheel stud failure? There should be legislative requirements for this stuff
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 pm

In case anyone is wondering, the stud part # is; MB584750, and the cost is $8.14 + GST each.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:11 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:In case anyone is wondering, the stud part # is; MB584750, and the cost is $8.14 + GST each.

$358.16 a set incl GST + labour to replace.

I remember that ouch. :cry:

******* tyre fitters. :|
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ent on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Full set done on one rear. Partly due to me cross threading a nut on one but also threads looking shabby. Imagine 120kg standing on 600mm breaker bar to remove the nuts. Just have to love some tyre places. 400nm rattle gun did not even go close to removing them. I always use a torque wrench to tighten them and must check last service as often way over tightened.

One good thing was when replaced the studs Aussie made and look better/stronger but fraction longer.
Ent

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 am

I wonder if this is a more prevalent issue and something to do with Mitsi manufacturing? When I had my suspension lift put in, the installer snapped one stud when assembling the wheels, but thankfully he replaced it for me then and there. I was today looking at my brakes due to a pulsation issue and one nut was a bit loose. When I put it back on and tried to tighten it by hand, the stud snapped off. It looked very similar to the one the fitter showed me and the one in the OP's pic, in that it'd been cracked for a long time and only had a little holding it together.
I wonder if all Tritons are getting fatigue in the studs and we are going to see more of this issue propping up? I'd hate to have some shear off when on rough roads and loosing a whole wheel.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby tomdej on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Could some of the problems stem from the fitting of aftermarket wheels? The original wheels are hub centric, that is the weight of the wheels is borne by the hub of the rim which is exactly the right size to be supported.
Aftermarket wheels have a larger hub so the weight is on the studs, and if any are insufficiently tight there is extra strain on the remaining studs.

Of course, having a mechanic or tyre place overtighten a wheel nut will put extra strain on the studs and their life will be shortened. I use a torque wrench to tighten my wheel nuts and I know the tyre place I go to does so too, but I cannot vouch for my dealer...
tomdej
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:18 pm

tomdej wrote:Could some of the problems stem from the fitting of aftermarket wheels? The original wheels are hub centric, that is the weight of the wheels is borne by the hub of the rim which is exactly the right size to be supported.

Mine are standard rims, so there should not be any stress on the studs apart from torque, of which I'm sure the Triton has not enough to be breaking studs, especially on the front wheels where mine broke.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Mine are also standard rims.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:52 pm

I cringe every time I take one of our cars to the tyre joint - those rattle guns, even with the torque bars, simply over tighten the wheel nuts.

Over $8 per stud seems steep.

For years I used a cross wheel brace for the wheel nuts on my cars but with the larger wheels on the 4x4, all the nuts get finished with the torque wrench.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 pm

I know they say not to grease wheel studs as its the friction that holds them tight, but I have always put a smear of COPPER KOTE grease on the studs, it only takes a smear,
Ive always done this, and I can remove and install the nuts easy as with NO corrosion, galling, and I use a 400mm breaker bar to tighten them up to a snug fit only, I never jump on it to tighten it.
Some people think tightening the shit out of every nut and bolt is paramount and then when it strips,snaps or they cant remove it , they then look back at who was the last to touch it, but I do agree those rattle guns in the wrong hands spell disaster
WUNSIE

Postby srb on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Yep I've always kept a smear of grease on my wheel studs as it makes life easy when the wheels have to come off. I also never let those idiots at tyre shops go near them. Over tightening is the main cause of broken wheel studs.

Pffff And non hubcentric rims are NOT an issue if you centre the wheel carefully before torquing the wheel nuts. That's just another reason not to let tyre shops or dealerships touch your vehicle.

If this wasn't true I'd have snapped lots of studs in my time... As it stands I've never snapped a wheel stud on any vehicle I've owned.

If you suspect a tyre shop has over tightened them... Meaning you can't undo the nuts with the standard wheel brace, demand that the tyre shop replaces your studs free of charge! This happened to my old man a few years ago as we couldn't undo his wheels to service his brakes.. Was only days after he'd got new tyres! He was fuming!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Just got a flat tyre on a rental (AVIS) Hilux @ 80 mile beach, you guessed it, nuts done up with a rattle gun. I couldn't budge them, but, had a mate that's about 118kg, he strained but did manage to move them. :?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I can't get over how fearful people are to lubricate nuts and bolts on assembly.

My grand father, dad and I have always put a drop of engine oil on the thread and cone of wheel nuts when refitting and have never had a nut come loose.

Lubrication actually let's you do up the nut more smoothly, without the need for rattle guns, etc.

You want the nut to turn, not start 'grabbing' the stud and try and twist it.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels