Driving light wiring - MQ

Re: Driving light wiring - MQ

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:03 am

Well spotted! Yes you are right - I was looking at the wiring, not the terminal labelling. So, as per the diagram but ignore the "A" in the "87A" label.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Giovanni on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:48 am

Greetings from across the ditch.
I would also like to thank "jim80h" for his photo of the Hi Beam pick up point to drive a relay.
It is the same on my Kiwi marketed 2017 MQ VRX.
I believe the VRX is similar or the same as the Exceed model.
I'm disappointed with the HID projector headlamp wobble and the high beam cut off so on go a pair of driving lamps.
Giovanni

Postby mtb247 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:25 pm

mtb247

Postby Bspack101 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Guys, that terminal in the fuse box did you use a female blade terminal, and im putting in 2 x 9" spotties and a 22" lightbar on my 2016 gls, can i twist the two wires from both harness into that terminal?
Bspack101

Postby jim80h on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 pm

I modified a female blade for that terminal. As the pick up is only a control wire, it is OK to connect both wires together there.
jim80h

Postby Giovanni on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 am

Bspack101 wrote:Hi Guys, that terminal in the fuse box did you use a female blade terminal, and im putting in 2 x 9" spotties and a 22" lightbar on my 2016 gls, can i twist the two wires from both harness into that terminal?

Yes I also cut down a female terminal to suit.
Be careful,do not connect the lamps directly to this wire but use it to drive an after market fuse protected relay which has at least a quenching resistor across the primary circuit.
Giovanni

Postby mtb247 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 am

mikejams wrote:I know you are probably sick of me already, but just trying to confirm I'm doing the right thing. I connect the positive from where the headlight adaptor should attach to the fuse box via an add on fuse and then earth the negative? Thanks very much?

I struggle a bit with diagrams/wiring so could I ask a variant of this question again?

I got the piggyback fuse from autobarn on the weekend, and I would just like to clarify what I am doing now that I am not using the headlight adaptor.

Does the red wire from the headlight adaptor use the piggyback fuse and go into fuse box in engine bay?

If so, where does the black wire from the headlight adaptor go?

Thanks in advance.
mtb247

Postby Daylight on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Has anyone connected a lightbar using the 4wd supacentre wiring harness?
Daylight

Postby Block75 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 pm

WUNSIE wrote:Just remember jim, GLS Tritons have HID headlights, touch the wrong spot around the ballast and you will feel what over 25000volts feel like!
I too have a GLS and when I was searching around to hook up the light bar I installed, after searching and searching, talking to various sparkies who deal specifically with Mitsubishi dealership I splashed out on the Genuine Mitsubishi wiring harness and honestly it could not have been easier.
Simply plug and play, no drilling bloody holes in the fire wall as once you have it all done under the bonnet, remove the passenger kick panel and simply plug the wiring for the switch in and all done, the plugs are all waiting there ready to go.
Loom set me back about $125 from memory, considering a couple of sparkies quoted me $200 +

As far as the genuine harness goes is it all just plug in and away you go or is there some joining of any wires under the bonnet?
Block75

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Plug and Play, only wires need attaching are the Neg & Pos from relay to battery, NO JOINING required ;)
WUNSIE

Postby Block75 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:29 am

WUNSIE wrote:Plug and Play, only wires need attaching are the Neg & Pos from relay to battery, NO JOINING required ;)

Yeah all good went to the dealer got the genuine harness and had it fitted within an hour. It was so easy and only a couple of wires that had to be backed out and away we go.
Block75

Postby Tyno on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Block75, does your switch light come on when you turn it on? I’ve got the factory harness, Mitsubishi told me it would be orange like the rest of the lights in the dash, it’s green, and the little light doesn’t come on at all.
Tyno

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:08 pm

Mines the same mate, Green Illumination only :(
WUNSIE

Postby Bronson777 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am

Hmmm, came here hoping to find answers and seems others are experiencing the same as myself. I have the factory driving light harness and the switch illuminates but the led does nothing. Also, my switch illuminates as soon as key is turned to acc so I need to replace that wire with one from dash lights as opposed to acc.
Was wondering if applying a voltage to either of the two unused posts on the switch itself may fire the led?
Was told the led won’t work as the lights are negatively switched? I can probably live without it but my ocd would rather not!

Bronson
Bronson777

Postby Crash486 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 pm

You think you have problems. What about this guy?
Click to view larger picture

crash486
Crash486

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:29 pm

...and the Fyrlyts still outshine him. :P :lol:

Surely amongst all you MQ blokes with these switches that don't light up the LED there is one of you that can use a multimeter and a 12V power supply to work out why? LEDs don't always like being in series - maybe one of those terminals needs to be earthed?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:02 am

Bronson777 wrote:Hmmm, came here hoping to find answers and seems others are experiencing the same as myself. I have the factory driving light harness and the switch illuminates but the led does nothing. Also, my switch illuminates as soon as key is turned to acc so I need to replace that wire with one from dash lights as opposed to acc.
Was wondering if applying a voltage to either of the two unused posts on the switch itself may fire the led?
Was told the led won’t work as the lights are negatively switched? I can probably live without it but my ocd would rather not!

Bronson

It’s a bit more complicated than that, but I do have a solution.

Yes the relay is negatively switched, but that is not a problem.

I’ll post it as soon as I have completed my installation.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Don't know if it would be available, but an illuminated switch suited to vehicles with positive on the chassis, like old morrie, etc. may set up the led connections more favourably.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Don't need a different switch, RHK. These ones have illumination which works with dash lighting, but the LED to indicate 'on' doesn't seem to work. Surely that's just a matter of wiring.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 pm

The only way the LED will work is if gets the correct polarity.

An illuminated switch based on LEDs would need four terminals.

Illumination (positive). Supply (positive). Load (switched positive) & Ground (negative).

Supply positive would come from high beam wire and the load terminal would have to go to a switch relay's positive.

If you connect a 12v supply to the supply pin and neg to ground pin the LED should turn on when the switch is turned on. If not you've got a did.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rhamer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:42 am

If you all just wait a short while, I’ll give you the solution.

I will tell exactly why it doesn’t work as expected and how to fix it.
In particular how to get the red dash light instead of green, how to get the green indicator and how to make the red backlight work when the car lights are on and not just when switched to acc.

And yes I have pictures.

And no you don’t need 4 wires for the switch, the 3 that are already there don’t change.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Ok, as promised here is a description of the problem and how to fix it.

The first problem is the switch it’s self. Pretty obvious really.

Yep, it’s missing the indicator LED and current limiting resistor.
In addition the backlight LED is green and should be red.

So what you need to do is carefully pop off the switch top cover then lift out the circuit board and remove the front fascia.

You will need a 3mm red LED and a 3.3k resistor. Install the resistor in the vacant space but NOT the Red LED.
The red LED needs to go where the green one is and the green one removed and resoldered into the vacant space. Note however that the green led has its leads reversed when moving sides. In both cases the resistor is connected to the +ve (anode) side of the LED.

This will now give you a red backlight and a green indicator that illuminates when the switch is pressed in. It works correctly because of the internal wiring of the switch and that’s why you still only need the 3 wires. BTW even though the connector has 5 pins, only 3 are connected internally.

Why it’s like this is anybody’s guess, I can only assume it’s not really a triton dedicated switch and possibly fits other vehicles as well.

One problem still remains however, the backlight will still come on with acc and not when the lights are turned on.
Next post will fix that.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 pm

One additional word of warning about the post above.

I also have some third party AOB switches which happen to have the same connector.

These switches are NOT wired the same, so don’t interchange them.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:26 pm

The second solution involves swapping 2 pins in the power tap wiring.
Currently for reasons unknown it picks up the acc power where it should be the headlight power.

You can achieve this by swapping the red and white wires in both ends of the tap

Now getting the pins out is an exercise in patience, but is goes something like this;
Locate the locking panel on the outside of the connector and lift it up about 3-4mm. Then using a small jewellers screwdriver, carefully release the latch by inserting it into the front of the connector below the pin and pull the pin out from the rear.

Swap the red and white and reverse the process to insert the pins.

The red wire now connects to the headlight circuit and will cause the switch to illuminate correctly.

Note: the way this circuit is wired means the switch illumination and indicator won’t actually work unless the lights are on, however given the relay it controls needs high beam power anyway, and the whole purpose is to turn on driving lights with the high beams it is of little consequence in my opinion.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

My last caveat emptor is, although I have researched this extensively and made the appropriate wiring changes to my loom, I am yet to actually install it.

I wanted to post this now, so some of you (like me) can do the work on your day off this Wednesday.

Rohan
Rhamer

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical