Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 am

Care to share how you set that up ag?? Or is it covered somewhere else ..maybe a platinum item..
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:45 am

There's a platinum thread for running the RDL in 2wd but I don't remember this particular mod being there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks cowboy hats helpfull butt I'm more interested in running oem rdl with tc on the front in 4wd as ag has done..
brodical

Postby biggibbo on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 am

Good luck. You will need to cut into the ECU wiring loom and doubt anybody is going to give you instructions incase something goes awry.

Maybe someone will explain the principle and then you will need to get the wiring diagrams and give it a go.
biggibbo

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Yeah ofcoarse it's do it at ya own risk ...I was jst intrigued that he got it setup like that ....sound good like It would be very effective maybe even good enough to not warrant a front locker .... Hmmmm
brodical

Postby biggibbo on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Depends on where you want to take it and how hard you want to push. The front locker will be far superior to T/C as you need the right technique to get he T/C to kick in. Bigger tyres etc just makes it a little harder to get T/C to kick.

Maybe you could ask AG how he did it via PM
biggibbo

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Yer mate for sure the twin locked would be superior.but me personally won't be forking out for a front lock at present due to funds ..but if I can get tc going with the RDL jst tinkering at home would be pretty sweet....ag seems pretty confident it will take the tri further....
brodical

Postby krimmo on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:07 pm

hey guys if i was going to put a elocker on. which one? front or rear? which is best?
krimmo

Postby srb on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:41 pm

krimmo wrote:hey guys if i was going to put a elocker on. which one? front or rear? which is best?

It's well documented on here that a front locker will get you further than a rear one. ;) But do they even do a front Elocker? If so then front will be the obvious choice. 8-)
The rear locker is still a very good thing though and won't place as much strain on your CV's and diff so it's really just a personal choice there. :roll: Bite the bullet and just get both. :twisted:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby FRDESP on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:05 pm

I have a factory diff lock have only needed it a few times. Makes it much easier in rough conditions saves the charge and barge. Mines an ML paid 500 bucks a cheap option for sure.
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hammy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:18 am

I thought my 2013 glxr was going pretty good with only having the M.A.T.T but after not being able to get around a switch back yesterday without driving like ken block im not very convinced.... front locker here we come
hammy

Rear or Front e locker

Postby Scoby on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

I am new to this forum and would like to ask which e locker to go for with my 2013 MN Triton. I am only able to get one at this stage and the e locker is the way I want to go. I am leaning towards a rear e locker. I have no LSD in my GLX pov pack triton. (its a manual)
Scoby

Re: Rear or Front e locker

Postby Merts on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I went rear on mine. Whilst it affects steering a bit, you can still turn with it on.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am

Scoby wrote:would like to ask which e locker to go for with my 2013 MN Triton

Maybe have a read through this thread. Should answer your questions.

If not, read through this thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ag9111 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Front is better when extreme 4wding.
If not extreme, then rear as steering is impacted otherwise
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 am

Just get both, you know you want to
variflex

Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby moses on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:40 pm

With both you’ll feel like a king

In saying that, I’ve found the traction control does a pretty good job, then when the rear diff lock goes on I get a bit further but really seems like the front helps the most. Particularly going up and over obstacles.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kell on Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Is there an auto locker option requires an open diff or are all triton lsd or factory locker I like the idea of being idiot proof is there an open diff option out there will an older model fit will a different manufacturer diff fit
Kell

Postby Kell on Sun May 20, 2018 2:55 pm

There are a million opinions out there but the fact is a rear locker is the most effective manufacturers poor in millions in RnD and only a handful supply front lockers I had both in the past and found I hardly used the front locker to the point that in my jeep jk I opted for rear locker only however it’s been many years since I’ve wheeled an ifs off road but bear in mind when your pointing up hill most of your weight is on the rear axel and a locked rear axle keeps your truck tracking straight on a decent

My experience is that I mostly used the front locker in the sand or on the craziest rock climbs (if your planning to build a rock buggy don’t buy an ifs)
Kell

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Yes there is an automatic locker. It's called Lokka.

The only caveat with the Lokka is that it isn't recommended for use with vehicles that have Super Select. If you have Easy Select then it's maybe the best thing you can do in terms of traction. I had one on the front in my ML and it was awesome, in many ways better than the air locker that I have now.

Since introduction of traction control all Triton diffs are open.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Kell on Sun May 20, 2018 3:08 pm

I was referring to the rear sorry but that’s an excellent point I hadn’t thought of thanks

I don’t have a Triton yet but I’m looking at the mn glxr do they all have a factory locker or was it just an option I’ve only seen it mentioned in one add or are most top spec buyers clueless yuppies that have no idea what they own has been my experience so far as when asking about the supper select I love the idea of it as extra traction in fowl weather
Kell

Postby JamoGLXR on Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Kell wrote:I was referring to the rear sorry but that’s an excellent point I hadn’t thought of thanks

I don’t have a Triton yet but I’m looking at the mn glxr do they all have a factory locker or was it just an option I’ve only seen it mentioned in one add or are most top spec buyers clueless yuppies that have no idea what they own has been my experience so far as when asking about the supper select I love the idea of it as extra traction in fowl weather

Not all have factory lockers. i think it was an option on all 4x4 model, top spec came with Traction control, if you opted for the rear diff lock you lost the traction control ability.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Depends on year. Some GLX-Rs had the rear locker standard, at other times it was optional.

It's all been said before but the Triton's weak point is the IFS and the lack of articulation at that end. Lift a wheel and you're a goner.

Kell wrote:supper select

Is that when your missus asks you what you want for dinner? :?

Kell wrote:fowl weather

Ah yes, when it's raining cats, dogs........ and chickens. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, reading through a whole paragraph with no punctuation at all is a chore. Breaking your posts up into sentences makes it much easier to read, and understand.

I don’t have a Triton yet, but I’m looking at the MN GLX-R. Do they all have a factory locker or was it just an option? I’ve only seen it mentioned in one ad.

Or, are most top spec buyers clueless yuppies that have no idea what they own? That has been my experience so far, when asking about the super select. I love the idea of it as extra traction in foul weather
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Kell on Sun May 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the conservative criticism I’ll try in the future to keep this sorted
Kell

Postby snowman on Mon May 21, 2018 9:35 pm

I have both. I won't use my front locker unless I have spare CV's and all the tools required to change them out (or more often mates that can :lol: :oops: ). You can break a front CV with the locker very quickly.

Front locker makes a big difference especially on rock steps. They are super effective.

A rear locker (as Garth has said) will do a lot and can be kept on all day off road without issue.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components