Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Diff Lock or not to diff lock...

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am

Hi all, slightly off topic, but I have a quick question.

If an after market elocker has been installed into the rear of a MN Triton, should the traction control cables running to the rear brakes be disconnected?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 am

Leave them connected.
They are for the abs sensors.
If you disconnect them, the abs will no longer be operational.

If you have an incident, you can have your insurance cancelled for tampering with a safety system regardless if its your fault or not
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm

ag9111 wrote:Leave them connected.
They are for the abs sensors.
If you disconnect them, the abs will no longer be operational.

If you have an incident, you can have your insurance cancelled for tampering with a safety system regardless if its your fault or not
Thanks mate

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby moses on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Not sure why you’d disconnect them? With the locker activated they won’t sense any difference in wheel spin and won’t do anything.

And to go with that, the other diff has the benefit of traction control. Win win.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 am

moses wrote:Not sure why you’d disconnect them? With the locker activated they won’t sense any difference in wheel spin and won’t do anything.

And to go with that, the other diff has the benefit of traction control. Win win.

Wasn't for me Moses, i was crawling round under my brothers MN (which has a rear elocker) and i thought i saw that they were disconnected. On closer inspection i however found that there is 2 empty plugs on the wiring harness, and 1 that actually attaches to both drum brakes, SO CRISIS AVERTED hahah :lol:
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:27 pm

NowForThe5th wrote: If you have Easy Select then it's maybe the best thing you can do in terms of traction. I had one on the front in my ML and it was awesome, in many ways better than the air locker that I have now.

Since introduction of traction control all Triton diffs are open.

Hey NFTF, do you happen to know if installing a LOKKA, in either the rear or front (or both) will have any adverse affect on how the traction control functions?

Only having a basic knowledge of how the traction control works, and therefore due to my lack of knowledge, i'm concerned that a lokka may adversely affect how the TC responds to higher speed situations, like sliding in the wet on the highway or something.
Maxiy

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

I had a Lokka on my ML and the ABS worked flawlessly. No Traction Control or Stability Control in the MLs, just that lovely LSD.

However, I can't see why it wouldn't work, given that the Lokka will unlock when there is a change of wheel speed from the wheel, as opposed to power going through to the wheel.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components