Taming the MMCS

Taming the MMCS

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 am

It appears the MMCS is actually a KEENWOOD MXDZ07MM2 made specifically for Mitsubishi. I think the same unit is used in the late Pajero but fitted with premium sound.

I am running into a wall trying to find any information on this set up. There is a few bits and pieces here + on the Paj forum.

I need a wiring diagram and or part no's so I can fit screens in the head rest,reverse camera and an amp to drive some bass Alpine engines. (The dealer says it cant be done and NO parts or cable are available :shock:

Some one here has used a cable from a Lancer for the reverse camera?

I'm still looking for some solutions.

The other part is the motion sensor that disables much needed functions wile moving.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Taming the MMCS

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 am

I can help with the reverse camera and there's a place called resourceit that sells a unit to fix the in motion issue. can't help with the video outs though, haven't tried that at all. the same unit is in the lancer as well and I found a bit of information on the CJ lancer forums.

I'll post some stuff about the camera tonight if I get a chance. There was a post by jasduf where he says his dealer put a camera in for him and someone else chimed in with a part number. I think it was MR936846 which is for the camera and wiring harness. My dealer wanted $462 for that. By contrast the Lancer camera was MZ380462EX and was $250 and the wiring harness to match was $65 (and was plenty long enough for the Triton) - MZ360277EX I think it was. The catch is that the Lancer camera (which I'm sure is the same Clarion camera but slightly different in appearance) comes with a bracket that is meant to mount through a hole in the metal back panel of the lancer whereas the Triton one mounts on a bracket that comes up behind the number plate. Jasduf posted a photo for me in one of the other threads, I think the MN thread?

I'm also working on an amp install using a wiring harness I bought that plugs into the 20 pin plug on the back - not the proper way I guess since on the premium setups they use the other plug connected to a Rockford Fosgate amp but I ran into a bit of a brick wall on that approach. If my approach comes off I'll post details of the harness I bought and how it works etc. It's a non OEM part not meant for this particular use so no guarantess (but I think it will work...)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks. Very helpful. Please post any details here as will help me and many others :roll: I'm going to call the dealer today and ask about the Lancer cable. My MMCS gets replaced under waranty latter this week so be good to have the cable.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 am

Just ordered the Lancer cable and camera. The price was right :D The parts guy was fascinated :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:21 am

Have found the MMCS Interface mob :D Hopefully this will fix the passenger not being able to use the sat nav wile in motion and also make the phone work wile in motion when required.

The motion sensor override is switchable so nothing is affected wile in normal use. Does involve intercepting the speed signal wire and a bit of solder. I believe the DVD still wont show on wile in motion which is a good thing.

http://www.resourceit.com.au/mmcs/products.htm
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 am

pleased to help. My parts guys were most perplexed too. When I saw Jasduf's photo and compared it to the lancer cam the only difference I could see between them (aside from the bracket) was where the cable came out (top of jasduf's, back of mine).

At present I've got the harness hooked up to another cheaper cam hanging above the number plate from a hole that is next to the number plate light. One thing to watch out for if not getting the OEM cam is that the harness only feeds about 6 volts to the camera whereas some cameras out there want more like 12 volts.

The camera comes with the instructions for how to wire the harness into the existing plug. It's not hard but there are 2 shortcomings with the instructions.

The first is that the way they draw the diagram of putting the pins into the plug at the back of the MMCS is not exactly correct. The main issue here is that they show all the pins going in the same way up. From memory there are 3 at the bottom and 2 at the top (don't quote me). I think it was the 2 up the top had to be rotated 180 degrees in order to get their tiny little locking tabs to engage within the plug. They make a little click when they push in and then won't come out. If you don't get the click chances are you've found what I am talking about.

The second problem only applies if you use a non OEM camera. The harness gives you 4 wires at the back of the vehicle but the labels are obscure to say the least. From memory ACC = red = 6v+, vrv = white = video in and then there are 2 more (the labels don't help much). One is the negative ground and one is the coax shield wire from your camera - I can post the colours later if anyone needs them.

As for wiring I went down behind the glovebox and out through the firewall up behind the glovebox - it's a tight squeeze but you can fit it within the rubber boot that is there if you cut the electrical tape and replace it later. Then down the firewall and along the passenger side chassis rail with the other wiring loom that's there. I used split loom in 7mm but it was a pain. Maybe 10mm would be easier? The whole wire is sheathed for its full length but I figured the extra protection was worth it.

The alternative might be to come down under the passenger seat and through the rubber boot that is in the floor there but it isn't that much less painful than the firewall.

That resource IT link is the one I was talking about - note that their ipod cable is supposed to be better than the mitsubishi $200 one and about half the price.

Have you come across the secret menus yet? another whole post in that one.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Thanks for the tips. Think I will let the dealer replace the MMCS that stuffed up and I will do the rest here.
I'll run it the same way you have as must fit and out of the way.

I have spoken to Keith from resouceit and seems to be very switched on :lol:

I have decided to use his interface cable and override. So will be sending the genuine one back to mitsu as is rubbish :evil:
Keith tells me they're working on a reverse set up with dual camera's for a trailer.

Also working on an AV out for the rear passengers.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 pm

okay here goes on the secret screen...

first hit the audio button so the screen is showing audio and not the map. then hit the pwr button to turn that off. your screen should look like this:
Click to view larger picture

Now divide the screen into imaginary 9ths - picture a noughts and crosses grid. we need the two squares that are in the centre at the sides (ie the middle of the left and right edges of the screen). Imagine there is a button on each side that you are going to press - you can't see them but the head unit know they're there. Trust me... now press in this order Left, right, left, right and left right. On the 6th press you should get the secret screen. Has worked for me every time but your results may vary.

The first secret screen looks like this:

The second screen looks like this:

They're a bit hard to read from these images but some of the options are useful.

Pressing the connections info button takes you to a useful screen that looks like this:

If you connect your reverse camera cable correctly this screen will show the connection even if the camera has not yet been connected - a nice way to check before putting the unit back into the dash etc

Notice the option for whether an amp is connected? Also useful is the speaker test which will send test tones to the front and rear each side as well as the tweeters.

Finally, since I'm posting about reverse cams, this is what it looks like when you put it into reverse:

my cam needs to move backwards (away from the body) a little to get rid of that curved line across the top. The silver shiny thing at the bottom centre is my towball cover.

Now all we need is a part number for the amp wiring harness...

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Unbelievable. And even better it works! I'm also digging around for the AMP plug or loom. Need a wiring diagram to make one :(
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Secret mens business!

BUT.....you better have a sunroof if you muck it up and push right, left, right, left, right,.....don't ask
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:58 pm

I have a harness made for a parrot thing that will work. It is a passthrough arrangement with a 20 pin male plug to go into the back of the head unit and a 20 pin female to take the plug from the vehicle. In between it then has some ISO plugs (M&F) with speaker outputs and speaker inputs. I've got some ISO plugs with bare tails to go into those. It looks like spaghetti at the moment but I am convinced I can make it work.

Having said that the factory amp plugs into a different socket altogether (I gather it is the rectangular plug above the ipod din plug). Maybe that socket outputs line level specifically for the amp? Probably that socket has the wiring which would make it show up as the amp being connected? No doubt it also has the accessory power wire to ensure the amp turns off unless the ignition is past the accessory mark? Presumably it would be simpler than my spaghetti approach?

What we need is to identify a specific Mitsubishi model of vehicle that comes with the same Kenwood MMCS and the Rockford Fosgate amp and then someone who can search the part lists for that model to come up with a harness number. Probably if I was more patient these precise details would turn up in a Pajero or Lancer forum somewhere eventually but when I last looked a couple of weeks back I was SOL :(

Alternatively we need a parts interpreter at a Mitsubishi dealer who has some imagination and is prepared to help find what we need. Haven't come close to finding one of those yet...

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Homer wrote:Secret mens business!

BUT.....you better have a sunroof if you muck it up and push right, left, right, left, right,.....don't ask

:twisted: eject?? :lol:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I have a harness made for a parrot thing that will work. It is a passthrough arrangement with a 20 pin male plug to go into the back of the head unit and a 20 pin female to take the plug from the vehicle. In between it then has some ISO plugs (M&F) with speaker outputs and speaker inputs. I've got some ISO plugs with bare tails to go into those. It looks like spaghetti at the moment but I am convinced I can make it work.

Having said that the factory amp plugs into a different socket altogether (I gather it is the rectangular plug above the ipod din plug). Maybe that socket outputs line level specifically for the amp? Probably that socket has the wiring which would make it show up as the amp being connected? No doubt it also has the accessory power wire to ensure the amp turns off unless the ignition is past the accessory mark? Presumably it would be simpler than my spaghetti approach?

What we need is to identify a specific Mitsubishi model of vehicle that comes with the same Kenwood MMCS and the Rockford Fosgate amp and then someone who can search the part lists for that model to come up with a harness number. Probably if I was more patient these precise details would turn up in a Pajero or Lancer forum somewhere eventually but when I last looked a couple of weeks back I was SOL :(

Alternatively we need a parts interpreter at a Mitsubishi dealer who has some imagination and is prepared to help find what we need. Haven't come close to finding one of those yet...

You have put a lot of energy into this. More than I have :(
I'm working on the premium set up connectivity so can control the sub or bass engines in my case. Must be possible in the secret left right part to make it work :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 pm

I have just received the speed sensor override and new ipod interface cable that should work properly on the later jobbies.

I don't have any spare time ATM due to the flood damage here but am looking forward to taming this MMCS :roll:

The speed sensor overide simply fools the MMCS into less than 4 KMH One snip, some solder and in my case plug it in. Fit the override switch to a blank and jobs done!

Getting into the secret menu. Thanks cowboy dave!

Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 pm

burning the midnight oil I see?

I saw a post about the MMCS interface on a Pajero site where it was suggested that Keith has been looking into developing a full interface in terms of the rear seat entertainment. As that's the same plug where I think the AMP connections belong I am tempted to wait and see if he succeeds with that. Did he mention anything like that when you were ordering your interface thing?

Also, where did you mount the switch? Down on the right where the blanks are or somewhere closer to the touchscreen?

The instructions for the interface online have a diagram of the back panel of the MMCS with numbers and descriptions for the female plugs in the rear of the unit. On the online copy I can't make out the letters/numbers clearly. Are they any clearer on the copy that comes with the unit? I'm wondering if the letters/numbers might provide clues to part numbers or diagrams in the manual or something.

Glad to see the secret screen trick working!

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:burning the midnight oil I see?

:D :D
I saw a post about the MMCS interface on a Pajero site where it was suggested that Keith has been looking into developing a full interface in terms of the rear seat entertainment. As that's the same plug where I think the AMP connections belong I am tempted to wait and see if he succeeds with that. Did he mention anything like that when you were ordering your interface thing?

Yea said he was working on it as has the full technical diagram for it.... I forgot to asks about the amp plug :?
Also, where did you mount the switch? Down on the right where the blanks are or somewhere closer to the touchscreen?

The lower right switch blank for now. Very tempting to make a hole in the plastic dash just below the MMCS though.
The instructions for the interface online have a diagram of the back panel of the MMCS with numbers and descriptions for the female plugs in the rear of the unit. On the online copy I can't make out the letters/numbers clearly. Are they any clearer on the copy that comes with the unit? I'm wondering if the letters/numbers might provide clues to part numbers or diagrams in the manual or something.

Glad to see the secret screen trick working!

They're smart aren't they. Appears to have been purposely printed in a way we cant make it out. :lol:
I'll have a closer look tonight.

How do you go about popping the cowling off the MMCS. I use two hands flat over the top and pull back and down firmly.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:54 pm

GLX-R MN wrote:
How do you go about popping the cowling off the MMCS. I use two hands flat over the top and pull back and down firmly.

I dig a plastic lever in the sides, lever it up a bit and then get my fingers in and pull it forwards. I took off two of the little metal clips at the front because I knew I was going to be going back in a few times before I was finished.

The other method which has worked for me is to get a sort of hook shaped lever and jam it in up the back near the windscreen and then pull forwards with that.

There's a link in this post to the little plastic trim tools I've been using:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4164

Highly recommended - useful when it comes to removing the door linings too.

On the weekend I am going fishing behind the dash for one of the screws that I dropped when putting it back together on Sunday night :oops: Usually they find their way to the bottom and roll out onto the floor when you stretch the side of the centre console out a bit, so hopefully that works again. I think I can say 'usually' now because I've dropped the same bloody screws about 3 times :oops:

Note to self, must get a really, really magnetised phillips head screwdriver...

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Okay found some images on a Pajero forum last night that I figure I should share - wish I'd had them a few weeks back:

Back panel diagram for MMCS (anyone notice the 5.1 SPDIF out?). The images get a bit cut-off click on them for the full view:

Interconnects diagram for MMCS:

and wiring diagram for the iPod connector:

The interconnects one doesn't seem complete to my way of thinking, too many pins marked NC for me to understand correctly. It's the 18, 20 and 24 pin connectors that show up as rectangles at the top and top left that are the main plugs in and out of the thing (although that little spdif is still lurking there...). Notice on the first one that Rear Seat Entertainment System (RSES) audio comes from the top right plug but the RSES video goes into? out of? the bottom left one which is the same place the reverse camera goes in.

Now for 10 USD paid to some dodgy sounding Russians apparently I can have the full service manual for the MMCS :roll:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Okay found some images on a Pajero forum last night that I figure I should share - wish I'd had them a few weeks back:

Back panel diagram for MMCS (anyone notice the 5.1 SPDIF out?). The images get a bit cut-off click on them for the full view:

Interconnects diagram for MMCS:

and wiring diagram for the iPod connector:

The interconnects one doesn't seem complete to my way of thinking, too many pins marked NC for me to understand correctly. It's the 18, 20 and 24 pin connectors that show up as rectangles at the top and top left that are the main plugs in and out of the thing (although that little spdif is still lurking there...). Notice on the first one that Rear Seat Entertainment System (RSES) audio comes from the top right plug but the RSES video goes into? out of? the bottom left one which is the same place the reverse camera goes in.

Now for 10 USD paid to some dodgy sounding Russians apparently I can have the full service manual for the MMCS :roll:

Your getting close now :D I take it when the amp is pluged in the MMCS would detect it and then have the non fading pre out with adjustable gain for the sub :D See in the secret menus there is a car type setting? Wonder if this changes how the plug out puts are configured? I have no idea but would like to have a fiddle with a pajero with the premium sound to see what the setting is. I may take one for a test drive soon :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby McFeast on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:53 pm

so, is there any news or thoughts on whether the mmcs can tell us fuel consumption, etc? the manual says it can but mine cant!
seeing as the MMCS looks to be exactly the same as the Subaru sat nav system which has this available, any thoughts as to what is required?
McFeast

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:39 pm

On our version the 20 pin plug has 3 blank holes. Two of them relate to the CAN according to the service manual. Not sure if one can just hijack the CAN Bus and feed the info into the MMCS. I suspect not but if there is someone out there with the skills and motivation then I'll happily buy whatever it is I need to get this stuff happening... I've heard that the guy (Keith?) who makes the speed thing posted about above is working on some sort of interface but as far as I know he is focussing more on the rear entertainment sort of connections than he is on the other vehicle info type stuff.

Cowboy Dave

Postby McFeast on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Oh righto. i'd also be keen to buy something if it would work. cause not knowing how much milage per tank im getting is annoying! Feel a bit like im back in the 80s manually working it out! especially on those long hauls with a fuel card!
these blokes are working hard on figuring out how the thing is coded
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... 440&page=3

doing a great job so far, hopefully they keep trying!
McFeast

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

shows some promise, will keep an eye on that one

Cowboy Dave

Postby McFeast on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:On our version the 20 pin plug has 3 blank holes. Two of them relate to the CAN according to the service manual. Not sure if one can just hijack the CAN Bus and feed the info into the MMCS. I suspect not but if there is someone out there with the skills and motivation then I'll happily buy whatever it is I need to get this stuff happening... I've heard that the guy (Keith?) who makes the speed thing posted about above is working on some sort of interface but as far as I know he is focussing more on the rear entertainment sort of connections than he is on the other vehicle info type stuff.

Mate - me too! any idea what cables to splice in in order to make a start? I am more than willing to donate cash to getting the CAN system in there. If the software is predominantly the same across the car manufacturers that use the Kenwood system, then this may be just what is required?! Speculation no doubt but we wont know for sure until someone works it out!

$$$ for the answer!

Cheers.
McFeast

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 29, 2010 12:50 pm

dragging up this old thread because of a post I found on a lancer forum today. the guy has used a Subaru whereis disc, version 16, and the MMCS took it. His screenshots show the maps working but there is no info there about whether it affects any of the other functions. I'll link to his screenshots and the post below but query whether the links will work for long since they're outside my control. Also apologies for how the images show up, I can't work this image shack thing. They work if you click on them :?

So the post (may require registration?): http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=126038#126038

The before shot:Click to view larger picture

The loading of the disc:Click to view larger picture

Proof of loading and new version number:Click to view larger picture

The new map showing Lane Cove Tunnel (part of the v16 update):Click to view larger picture

and the link to where to buy it:http://www.whereismaps.com/buy-map-updates_built-in-car-navigation_product.aspx?view=3&country=AU&device=233

Full credit to CJ lancer forum member JaCe who posted this stuff. And no, I haven't tried it... yet...

Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Electrical