Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby hitman72 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi all i made a egr blocking plate for my mn 2.5hp manuel .. done 600kms and got the engine light an limp mode pulled over and switched it off an back on all good again engine light stayed on just ignored it and kept goin 160kms down the road pulled up at a shop for a drink and come back out and start it up no engine light ? done 95kms since and alls good happy with that ...all highway driveing at well over 100 by the way
hitman72

Re: Closing the Egr Valve

Postby Bammo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Hitman,

I had exactly the same thing but as soon as we slightly remapped the DPS chip the light went away and has never re-surfaced...
Bammo

EGR Blanking plate

Postby SamR on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:34 am

Hi

On a 3.2 can the EGR plate be fitted to either the top or lower end of the pipe, & if so, does one method work better than the other?

Thanks
Sam
When you need water, You can be smart, Water where you want it, AQUACART®
SamR

Re: EGR Blanking plate

Postby UAV on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 am

pretty sure if you read through the threads you will find it can go at both ends, don't think 1 works better than the other as they should both still do the same thing
UAV

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby Jacquejan on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:57 am

The South African built Triton's (3.5V6) does not have the EGR valves, so blanking it off should not be a problem.
Jacquejan

Postby Joe on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:45 am

OK. I have just spent 45 mins reading through this thread :roll: .

What I want to know is should I blank of my EGR valve or not??

I have 50k on the clock. If I do instal one, should I first get the dealer to clean out the carbon at the next service and then instal. Should I whack in a bottle of that Wynns stuff?

Has anyone been running with theirs blanked for 20000 km or more and if so, have there been any major dramas.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Mr Aquaman on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 am

I did mine at 75,000km & I didn't bother cleaning out the carbon - I guess it couldn't hurt to run a Wynns cleaner (or equivalent) provided of course that it is specifically for diesels & specifically for the purpose of cleaning the carbon.

If you do instal a blanking plate - just a tip - try & undo the bolt closest to the firewall first as it is by far the hardest to remove. I removed all the others & tried so long getting that last one off (without success the first time round) that I had an appointment to get to & had to re-assemble everything else I'd undone.
Last edited by Mr Aquaman on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 ML 3.2 DiD - TDC PowerBox, EGR blanking plates, Turbotech manual boost controller, Unifilter, Boost gauge, SAAS GT racing seats
Mr Aquaman

Postby daryn on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 am

It's a 5 min job to do it, that's all. 22,000 km's here no probs at all
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:12 am

hi joe,

i have had mine in for 17500km (put in at 5000km) and other than the odd limp mode when at zero throttle position there has been no other problem..

i would suggest you try for a manifold cleanout from mitsu (tips on getting this done in the various threads about surging and limp modes and fuel usage etc). I only suggest as you have already got 50K's of buildup in there...

Theres some evidence that ChipIT can eliminate the limp modes and GLXRAlex pioneered disconnecting the throttlebody to achieve the same result... (both require some $$ investment in either a chip or scanguage respectively)
Personally my limp modes are so infrequent and i cant really justify buying that kind of equipment for a bizo vehicle (although that stance is somewhat slipping and i will be on the chip bandwagon soon enough i think :lol: )

I am not sure as to the effectiveness of the wynns stuff? my guess would be that getting mitsu to do it properly would be advisable!

DO IT!! best (and cheapest) mod so far IMO :D
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks guys.

Have PMed GLX-R Alex so I can get a block off gasket. :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Joe

Postby new44 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Has anyone been running with theirs blanked for 20000 km or more and if so, have there been any major dramas

5000 K.M

Only one code

Plate Still in
new44

Postby GLX-R Alex on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Im Now running mine again with the throttle plugged in and 17psi boost, as i cant be bothered canceling the ECL anymore. The Limp homes are so infrequent it doesnt bother me. And you can fix it by a quick shut off and restart at the lights..
GLX-R Alex

Postby NTBB on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:57 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Im Now running mine again with the throttle plugged in and 17psi boost, as i cant be bothered canceling the ECL anymore. The Limp homes are so infrequent it doesnt bother me. And you can fix it by a quick shut off and restart at the lights..

Alex did you notice the power drop with the T/B unplugged?
I noticed the AI temps were way up around the 50 degree mark almost all the time with it unplugged.
I unplugged the egr valve the other day not as much power drop as the T/B and not as hot AI and a lot smoother then stanard:?
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Cant say i noticed any difference in intake air temp with the throlltle body unplugged. I wouldnt think it could affect it.
GLX-R Alex

Postby lazarus on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:05 am

erne blocked his EGR towards the back of the engine under ECU as picture shows:
Click to view larger picture

BUT Alex blocked his EGR towards the front of the engine as seen on this picture:

which way is better way and what is the difference?
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby chaser on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 pm

2 different motors mate, ml 4m41 egr feed pipe is on the drivers side. mn is on the passangers side below the throttle body.
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby new44 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Some of my thoughts on it.
Edit after reading chasser. Mines ml 3.2 . Same principles would apply.

I blanked like Alex.

Pros.. Possibly more volume of air between block and throttle body to lesson the chance of codes or limp modes caused bye sensors picking up pressures out side normal ranges.
Hard for anyone to notice plate installed right down there.
I am sure I read Chip It advise to put it here for reason unknown to me. There is a thread that states this in the sponsored section.

cons.. Harder to get bolts off ( not impossible though) to install.
Loss of skin on knuckles

So far only one code in 4000 K.M.
Gets driven like I`m an old man though.

my 2 cents worth.
new44

Postby lazarus on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanx chaser

I was about to by blank plate from Alex but when I mentioned it today to my mate he told me he have some copper plate and suggested we do it our self.

I have MN 2010 and today I have blocked EGR on passenger side towards the rear of the engine as in this picture:

I decided to block this one because of ease of access.

Would that be right? or should I block the one towards the front of engine on the same passenger side where all the other messy bits are??
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby chaser on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 pm

the best place to block it off would be on the exhaust manifold. not the exhaust gas cooler. blocking it of at the exhaust manifold will stop carbon build up further thru the egr system.
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

chaser

Postby lazarus on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:25 pm

so did i blocked it on the right place or not?
lazarus

Postby chaser on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:36 pm

i just repiled to your pm mate. its fine were you have done it ill take some pics next time i see a mn to show you the other spot i was sugesting...

chaser

Postby Gezza on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Ahh just reading this I am gonna be buying a brand new 0km's mn glx-r, Should I blank this as soon as I virtually get home to eliminate this problem further down the track??

Would this show up any fault codes and/or would the dealers know I have done this is there any issues by doing this??

Thanks in advance Gerry:)
Gezza

Postby sim_r32 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:37 pm

blocked my egr off today seems to be driving better low in the revs and sounds a little quieter i made my blank and it was very easy to do with an impact wrench :)
waiting for my chip it ecu to turn up and then things will be going even better :twisted:
sim_r32

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:20 pm

When you blank the EGR you recieve the benefit of more exhaust flow through the turbo charger.. Giving a much earlier turbo spool and torque low down in the rev range..
GLX-R Alex

Postby Joe on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Just blocked mine, thanks Alex. Definitely feels more responsive. :D
Dad
----
Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks