Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 pm

I've now cracked 41k with egr blanked and it in itself has caused no lights or limps. Also got the throttle off and this causes an engine light - but reverting to normal will reset light after a couple of runs - so no actual probs!

These diesels should come with a real EGR system - Extreme Greenie Recovery system, ie. greenie fitted with hanky over mouth and plugged over exhaust pipe to consume any soot etc. Cycle is completed by burying said greenie when full - completing CO2 and Pollutant sequestration!! Design of suitable mounting system and ready supply of willing greenies is a bit of a problem.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby contact on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:14 am

what i dont understand is why there isnt any consistency... 41k no limps v's 2.3k at least a dozen limps whats different? is the early (06) 3.2 more prone to developing a limp? does the vehicle computer average manifold pressures so if its an older vehicle problems will arise? shouldn't the same change generate the same symptom (or as id prefer lack of symptom!)?
contact

Postby borngeek on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:39 am

contact do you have the new revision upper manifold (with relocated MAP sensor)??
its a hotline fix..
This would increase limpies due to bad positioning of that sensor makes it prone to carbon buildup fouling and malfunction.
This was explained by head mechanic of a dealership.
If you do not have the newer revision upper manifold you will have increased issues no doubt.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 am

^^That's what I was thinking...carbon issue or SCV
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sarice on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:49 am

How common are the limp modes "with" the updated upper manifold installed?. Does the insert point of the blank plate itself either increase or decrease limp modes depending on where it is, ie closer to the egr valve or back at the manifold.
sarice

Postby borngeek on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:04 am

sarice wrote:How common are the limp modes "with" the updated upper manifold installed?. Does the insert point of the blank plate itself either increase or decrease limp modes depending on where it is, ie closer to the egr valve or back at the manifold.

There seems to be variation here too sarice (i realise its a lot of posts to go thru)

for me they are very infrequent. In 25000km travelled with it in I would probably have about 10 in total happen by itself.
They recently became easier to cause them.
I do this to actually cause them:
1. rolling downhill at about 50-60km/h 0% throttle and idling give the throttle a dab squirt (half throttle and off and quarter back on again) can cause it. So jerky throttle application.
2. Also can be caused by flooring from idle at the lights - harder to do but 1 in say 10

After the cleanout by dealer at 30k service (they sprayed a solvent thru the upper manifold that promotes the carbon to move on a bit (presumably making the MAP sensor nice and clean) I havent been able to create one in the week following (and i have tried).

I have now put my chip in (yesterday) so i dont expect them anymore but we shall see :geek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sarice on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks for that, sounds like the more carbon clogging things up the more they occur. Do you have a Provent or catch can installed to take away half of the problem. I`ve had the solvent clean, added a Provent and disabled the inlet manifold butterfly setup (As advised by MML) and don`t know if it`s worth blanking the egr as well and risking limp modes.
sarice

Postby Diddy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 am

I have done 2000 of reall hard driving and towing about 2ton on trailer all over the place and have never had a limp mode yet and I'm now running 22.5psi on the turbo now from 25 and fuel is avg is 9.3 since I've been towing a bit it was 8.8 but all is really good
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby Brett05 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 am

sarice wrote: I`ve had the solvent clean, added a Provent and disabled the inlet manifold butterfly setup (As advised by MML)

what was the advise given to you regarding the disabling of the manifold butterfly....and how did you do it. My local dealers leading hand told me to block off the line with a small ball bearing, if I couldn't find one, bring it into them and he'll fit one for me
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby Sloth on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:54 am

Mine's in at the moment after a limp and engine light wouldnt go away. Has the top manifold already done and now replacing the bottom. 98,000 kms
He who dies with the most toys wins!
Sloth

Postby sarice on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:49 am

Brett05 wrote:
sarice wrote: I`ve had the solvent clean, added a Provent and disabled the inlet manifold butterfly setup (As advised by MML)

what was the advise given to you regarding the disabling of the manifold butterfly....and how did you do it. My local dealers leading hand told me to block off the line with a small ball bearing, if I couldn't find one, bring it into them and he'll fit one for me

Thats what I did too, Had the solvent clean and got advised to block the line with the ball bearing. I drove for a week or two without it blocked to check how the de carboniser had worked which was ok, the provent was also in operation for about 2K at this stage. I blocked the line with the bearing and it made a huge difference immediately. Basically the same benefits all the guys say they experience from blanking their egr`s. The only thing I`ve noticed is that during manual gear changes when the motor is cold the revs hold on a bit but this has lessened after a while, when it warms up it is fine, drives like a dream. The dealer told me they do it as a warrany fix now to reduce the egr inflow to the manifold so I reckon lots of tritons have it done without the owners knowing it after a dealer service/carbon clean. They hinted that it does the same as blocking the egr. Don`t know what effect it will have on carbon build up in the long term with the butterfly not moving at all and locked open though. Hopefully the inlet flow wil keep it clear with reduced oil/condensates getting through the provent. Might be just a way for the dealer to defer the carbon issue for a bit hoping the warranties expire.
sarice

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Where and what line are we talking about... Show mw a pic..?
GLX-R Alex

Postby Snooozy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:18 pm

My plate has been in for about 12000km, never had an engine light.

Did have a couple of power loss issues

1. hot day A/C on up steep hill
2. Up hill no A/C, cruise stopped, lost acceleration. Pulled over shut off engine, restart & all OK.

Has not happend since.

2009 ML 3.2 Manual
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sarice on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Where and what line are we talking about... Show mw a pic..?

Check the pics on page 2 of the "Carbon, its everybodys problem" thread in warranty and recalls. Scroll down until the clogged up lower manifold is in view and you`ll see the round attatchment on the "Front" (Dunno WTF it`s tech name is)with the small hose nipple pointing forwards. Pull the hose off and jam the bearing into the hose to block it. I`ll put a pic in my shed sometime tonight of mine so someone can post it here if they want.
sarice

Postby contact on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

borngeek wrote:contact do you have the new revision upper manifold (with relocated MAP sensor)??
its a hotline fix..
This would increase limpies due to bad positioning of that sensor makes it prone to carbon buildup fouling and malfunction.
This was explained by head mechanic of a dealership.
If you do not have the newer revision upper manifold you will have increased issues no doubt.

im guessing its an old manifold... with the first limp i (by coincidence) was in the dealer anyway for the suspension recall and they reset the computer... it apparently was saying the manifold pressure was wrong... they 'cleaned' the sensor pick up with a small drill and said it was a common problem as the manifold was poorly designed... not mention of a fix.

the problem is i only get limps with the plate in... dont really want the dealer poking around with the system with a 'potentially' illegal egr plate in place... these 'hot fixes' are they and 'on demand' thing? with out the engine check light its hard to argue work needs to be done!
contact

Postby borngeek on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm

contact wrote:the problem is i only get limps with the plate in... dont really want the dealer poking around with the system with a 'potentially' illegal egr plate in place... these 'hot fixes' are they and 'on demand' thing? with out the engine check light its hard to argue work needs to be done!

If you are still in warrantee and havent had it done then yeah FORCE them to do it!
MMAL will supply them to dealer (and pay them a reduced labour charge which they dont like) to fit.

get it to pull a limpy and display engine light. pull out egr blank and drive in. :twisted: (its not potential its definately illegal)

make them aware you are clued to the fix and give them as much s... as possible till they do it (they deserve it :evil: )

If you lump it with a logbook service they have less reason to not 'give it up'... they HAVE to anyway!

:ugeek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Blanking Plate

Postby Mr Aquaman on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi

Just wondered how many people had installed a blanking plate behind the EGR valve & what thoughts they have. I installed the first plate (Blanking Plate No. 1) some time ago, but since having the inlet manifold replaced under warranty I've had surging between 2200rpm & 3000rpm on light or steady throttle. I unplugged the valve & the surging pretty much disappeared - just slightly in first gear sometimes, but the engine would shudder & overrun on shutdown which was disconcerting. I reconnected the plug & installed another blanking plate shown as Blanking Plate No. 2 on the image. This made no difference - the engine light was off but the surging was back. I've now installed a plate behind the EGR valve (as well as leaving all the others installed). It now runs much better, as it did with the EGR plug disconnected, but without the overrun & shudder on shutdown. However, the engine light is on.

Click to view larger picture
2007 ML 3.2 DiD - TDC PowerBox, EGR blanking plates, Turbotech manual boost controller, Unifilter, Boost gauge, SAAS GT racing seats
Mr Aquaman

Re: Blanking Plate

Postby reeldreamer on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

I blocked mine off at the manifold and haven't had any issues at all! Everyone says that is the best place to block it. No engine lights, no shut downs...nothing!

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Wallace on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Moved from general discussion
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby mr manfringinsen on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Aquaman, make sure that the EGR valve isn't trying to push open against your blanking plate. Might be better to put it underneath the valve.
Half the people you know are below average.
mr manfringinsen

Postby Mr Aquaman on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Pretty sure it is trying to push open against the blanking plate so I might remove it & try the ball bearing in the vacuum hose instead. When you say 'underneath the valve' do you mean blanking the inlet on the top of the inlet manifold that the valve assembly sits on?
2007 ML 3.2 DiD - TDC PowerBox, EGR blanking plates, Turbotech manual boost controller, Unifilter, Boost gauge, SAAS GT racing seats
Mr Aquaman

Postby mr manfringinsen on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Blank it at the gasket where the four bolts go through. It is in-between the EGR valve and the inlet manifold.
I have just put a ball bearing in the vacuum line for the Swirl Control Valve. It turned the hesitation into a flat spot and was quite an improvement in the drivability. I am still seeing how the ECU is reacting to it as I have only had it done for 150kms or so but I think it was a big step in the right direction.
caveat: I haven't blanked the EGR at that end but that is where I would do it.
Half the people you know are below average.
mr manfringinsen

Postby Mr Aquaman on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks - do you know what size ball bearing it was? Also, how far down the vac line did you place the ball bearing? Was it as simple as removing the line from the vac & pushing the ball bearing far enough to be able to fit the line back on?
Mr Aquaman

Postby Mr Aquaman on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks manfringinsen - I kept the blanking plate at the exhaust manifold but removed the other 2, including the plate behind the EGR valve. I've now installed a plate under the EGR valve as you suggested & I stuck a 3/16 size ball bearing in the vac hose too. Went for a quick drive & it was all fine.
Mr Aquaman

Postby rat patrol on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Just a little warning blokes, Both my son's are Mitsubishi tech's and they are told to look for ANY evedence that the egr has been tampered with and to report it. If they find you have tampered with your EGR you WILL lose al your engine warranty.
Also if you get stoped in a rendom road side exaust test were they stick the sniffer up your tailpipe and fine you have a blocked EGR you are in line for a $25,000 fine.
Just letting you know :o
Cheers
Rat
rat patrol

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks