triton / navara / hilux / colarado / bravo...hmmmm

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

triton / navara / hilux / colarado / bravo...hmmmm

Postby poondog on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm

G'day gents (ladies)

New to the forum and trying to make an informed decision about something to tow the van!! Did the reverse, bought a van <2t before the car and am now deciding to buy a twin cab variety rather than a patrol size that the wife hate's the size (In-laws have a patrol 3L D and Disco Td5). I drove the Navara yesterday and noticed the lack of rear seat space and slopy manual gearbox compared to the v6 5spd camry I curently drive so simply on room and gearbox cut that away. Drove the hilux SR5 yesterday and sure it's a toyota and I enjoy driving them but I can't justify the money for things I can't see (58k for an SR5, I'd rather buy a patrol)!!! Tomorrow I'll drive the colarado, bravo and triton and am hoping there's a clear winner.

Current van is <2t and even when we've done vic, nsw & sa and decide to upgrade the van for something slightly larger or more 4x4 I don't think it will be an bigger than 2.2t fully loaded. Will I climb the side of mountains = no, will I go bush in the kimberly = yes. So there's the left and right of arc of my dilemma. I am seriously thinking of buying a 04/05 patrol <100k for around 30-35k but am considering a newer crewcab type car that will adequately and safely do the job??

Okay this is the triton formum........I looked at the GLX-R the other day and will test one tomorrow. wil it cut the mustard??

Matt
poondog

Re: triton / navara / hilux / colarado / bravo...hmmmm

Postby Blue on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Funny how a lot of blokes bring up the "wife hates the size of Patrol/Cruiser" thing... Ever measured one...??? We are only marginally narrower and every dual cab on the market is longer than the afore mentioned...

Not a dig mate, just an observation...

As for which dual cab - well in a place like this there's only one real answer - Love That Car...!!!
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 pm

yes it will cut the mustard, i am pretty sure they all will.

i tested all the vehicles you mentioned and i am driving Triton GLX-R v6, but post this on other forums and they will say its their make, the only thing for me is i wish i had of bought the TD.

i think you'll be supprised by the value for money you'll get with the Triton. but want ever you pick let us know and why?
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 pm

dont touch the patrol, my old man has a 07 patrol and its a bucket of shit, feels like a boat on the road, has zero balls but in its defence it is standard....

personally it is too big and hard to drive for me and i would never touch one,

my old man had a 2005 bravo b4 the patrol and it was great to drive, the navara felt tinny when i drove it for a test so up to you on that one, hiluxs are fantastic but again its down to money, heard the colarado are pretty good but i dont like the look of them but that an individual opinion,

lastly the triton is good but i dont have experience towing but 1st and 2nd gear have zero balls off boost

cheers
85HiluxSR5

Postby subi_man on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 pm

I would cross the Navara straight off the list, but consider the Triton, Hilux and Colorado/Dmax - FWIW after 75,000km I'm very happy with my Triton 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby poondog on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 pm

I love raw your figures statement and couldn't agree with you more from that point of view!! We borrowed a mates 4.8L patrol (on gas) to pick up the van and she thought it was a truck (first impressions - after all this is what we blokes have to deal with). By the way I could not belief how poorly a 4.8L noticably towed a smallish van (anyway that's another story after a few beers). I can see me having to do more ground work than I really want to in justifying a purchase.....but at the end of the day, like we all do, sew the seed for a 4x4 and what ever we want to buy won't be such a shock because we've sewn the seed months earlier but the less grief the better....LOL!!
poondog

Postby poondog on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Thx storm trooper.....I'm interested in a V6 pov staing he'd wished he'd bought the TD..hmm

85hiluxsr5....no boost, you sould drive a td4 or 5 and my inlaws swear by them - he's currently heading up to cape york in his td5 with mates who have cruisers!! I borrowed his td4 to tow the van to where we currently keep it and it is fkn slow off the mark but it towed it with ease....am I missing someting here....if we buy a diesel it's not a petrol so it will be more sluggish comparitively!?!?!?

To you all..love the 10 year warranty but what is with the 10 year warranty do u have to use a mitsi dealer for every service??
poondog

Postby steve tas on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:31 pm

I have had a 3.2 deisel triton for 2 months. I test drove everything before deciding. They all have their advantages/disadvantages, but for value for money the trtion won. I would have bought a Colorado except for the stupid tranfer case.... I have used mine offroad nd it is very capable, even in stock GLX form. More than happy with the vehicle. Navaras are tinny, as already stated, Hilux's are too bloody expensive, BT50/Ranger more of the same and fairly thirsty. Everyone here will lean the 3 diamond way but if your looking for cabin space and value then look no further.
steve tas

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:31 pm

all cars i mention are turbo diesel 4x4,
85HiluxSR5

Postby poondog on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

steve tas...it almost sounds like you're a dealer!!! LOL....logical and straight fwd answers!!! I look fwd to the drive tomorrow.. i will jump back in tomorrow night for the verdict!!!!

The funny thing, my mate with the 4.8L patrol on gas is still trying to convince me otherwise but we'll see. The way I figure:

Patrol 3L is 11L/100km around town and 15L/100km towing (dad's mate currently heading home from Darwin towing 20ft van approx 2t)
Patrol 4.8 petrol (on gas) 19l/100 around town and 25L/100km towing (dad's other mate - range limited compared to his diesel mate)
Triton 3.2L <10L/100km around town and 14/100km towing (what I've read for around 2t - any clarrifications welcome)

Anyway my mate says when we do NW WA and he's on 4.8L on gas and I'm in what ever diesel he'll be $'s ahead I just can't see it!!

Over 1000km Patrol 4.8 on gas @50c/L = $12.50 / 100km = $125 per 1000km
Patrol 3L TD @1.25/l = $18.75 / 100km = $187 per 1000km
Triton 3.2L @1.25/l = $17.50 / 100km = $175 per 1000km

Yeah these are best guestimates and in the bush the cost of gas will be more but I just can't help but think with a 100L gas tank only having 90L usable that means on gas I have a usable range of <450km..that's a reason in itself not to go dual fuel!!!!!
poondog

Postby Greedy on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 pm

poondog wrote:Anyway my mate says when we do NW WA and he's on 4.8L on gas

Good luck with the test drives and good luck finding gas in the north of WA. Mostly diesel.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Hey poondog if your looking to buy new and want a 3.2 DiD Triton you may need to get moving as the rumor as I'm sure your're aware is that the new model coming is only 2.5.

We've just traded our 07 DiD for a runout 09 as I've been led to believe that this is GOING to happen :roll: :cry:
sam

Postby Homer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:14 am

I have the V6 and love it!
But I wouldn't consider anything but a turbo diesel for what you are looking at doing....not even consider it!!! Can I say that louder?

I would also factor in a suspension upgrade (I believe they all have cheap shitty suspension) as it improves the car DRASTICALLY, and I would also consider fitting monsters ECU Piggy back with boost controller or the MRT ECU upgrade if I lived in Sydney. Actually consider is BS, it would be getting done.

Edit: Oh and test the turning circles....that is if you want your missus to not let you buy anything else.

After all that, if it is a 2.5 in the new model - which I suspect too Sam - I would probably look elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
Last edited by Homer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:02 am

poondog wrote:
Triton 3.2L @1.25/l = $17.50 / 100km = $175 per 1000km

triton might work out cheaper than what you have quoted, my last tank i did with the stock tyres on i had done 725kms and the car took only 66lts of diesel leaving me with another 9lts in reserve, i think around 9.2lt/100km, 60%hwy 40%around town driving, also im a laid back driver only giving it occasional squirts to overtake etc.

based on that without towing if you drive like me 725kms takes 66lts @1.25 = $82.50 so to travel 1450kms will cost $165 so approx $110 per 1000kms in the triton

with my 32" muddies i think im getting around 10.2lt/100km
85HiluxSR5

Postby snowman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 am

poondog,

if mileage is that big a deal to you do NOT buy the auto.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trytin on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi, had my 3.2td for 2 years and tow a Jayco Eagle off road camper @ around 1200kg plus gear so around 1600kg, then some gear in the ute, family of 4. Economy I have had towing this is strangley always 12.4l/100km. There were only a copule of occasions in my log book that vary from this 13.2 and 11.8. Yes there some "on the start" slowness like all turbo Diesels, but not a great deal ( your on holidays - who cares ), if you are having holidays in the city then some stop start could be annoying. On the open I dont notice the van as Triton has plenty of torque for the hills. I can quite comforably sit on 120km/hr freeway without any handle issues.
Over the past 2 years and 50,000km I have averaged 9.8l/100km for all types of driving. With the warranty there os plenty of posts here, but generally you only have to have it service by Mitso once per year to retain your roadside assist. Other than that any licenced mechanic can service.
trytin

Postby poondog on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 pm

Test drove the Triton and niiiiiiiiiceeeeee!! Compared to the sloppy Navara gearbox this was as a geadbox should feel - tight! Great response, great side and rear vision - probably on par with hilux there, interior on par with the rest - after all it is a commercial vehicle, looks horn 8-) - probably the best wrt looks and importantly there's room in the back seat for the kids!! Will test drive the auto on Monday as the dealer says it's a 'nicer drive' his words...!!!

Economy is clearly going to be better in the manual and at the end of the day it's not everything in life but it's a factor. I've read, and was informed today, the auto gearbox and torque converters work beautifully keeping the torque where it should be so towing with the auto show be a hoot - interesting?? Any comments from thise with auto towing a laiden van of <2t??? :idea:

I read today that the triton was a 2.3t max breaked towing capacity yet the website and spec sheet says 2.5t - hmmm!!

Agree with the suspension that appears to be a point to consider.

Anybody driven a D-Max??

Went to drive the colarado, but after the sales bloke says it's rated at 2.1t I thought you're a d%$#h$%# and I'm wasting my time with someone who doesn't know a product and walked out - their loss!!
poondog

Postby Quinny23 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:27 pm

poondog wrote:(58k for an SR5, I'd rather buy a patrol)!!!

For those number so would I and Im a hilux owner... I paid $52 for my Sr5 and $42 for my SR.

But Tirotn/Lux/BT50 are all good...

Im not thrilled with the Colerado/IMAX/Navara for various reasons stated above.

You'll love what ever you end up with.... (If all goes well)
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby Greedy on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:33 pm

poondog wrote:Economy is clearly going to be better in the manual and at the end of the day it's not everything in life but it's a factor. I've read, and was informed today, the auto gearbox and torque converters work beautifully keeping the torque where it should be so towing with the auto show be a hoot - interesting?? Any comments from thise with auto towing a laiden van of <2t??? :idea:

If you're going to tow with an auto, make sure you fit a tranny cooler. Most cars don't come with them standard.

poondog wrote:I read today that the triton was a 2.3t max breaked towing capacity yet the website and spec sheet says 2.5t - hmmm!!

2.5 for diesel 3.2ltr, 2.3 for petrol 3.5ltr

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm

2.5T for the 2.5L diesel
1.8T for the 2.4 petrol
I know they aren't 4x4's but what the hell!
sierra

Postby ML-VR08 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:56 pm

The auto DID comes with a tranny cooler - small but still there 8-)
ML-VR08

Postby Greedy on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 pm

ML-VR08 wrote:The auto DID comes with a tranny cooler - small but still there 8-)

I'm suitably impressed. and amazed. :shock: 8-)

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adamj on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:37 pm

hey poondog Ive just been through the same delema as you our van weighs 2.4t fully loaded Ive narrowed it down to the triton & colorado but I do like the triton better, however the 3.2 auto TD glxr"s are getting hard to come by in Brisbane. the new 2.5 TD will have a 2700kg braked towing rating and 270kg ball weight. We did have a glxr 3.2 on order but was told by the dealer the tow bar was only good for 2.3t, this we later found out was incorrect,but had already cancelled the vehical. I have a mate who has a v6 triton the only complaint he has is the fuel consumpsion and when he tows his camper trailer (750kg fully loaded) he may as well buy shares in a fuel company. Im just going to wait and see what these new models are like before I make my decision,but wouldnt be nice if dealers had towbars fitted to their demos so we could see what they towed like before we handed our money over.
Adamj

Postby Big Brad on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:46 pm

V6 3.5 5spd on Lpg and Petrol.

Average 16 ltr/100 on Gas and 12/100 on petrol.

Regularly have 2 motorbikes and gear in tray towing Jayco Swan Campervan. Around 1.5 - 1.6T all up.

Lpg goes up to around the 20ltr /100 when loaded like this.

Get around 300KLM from a tank of gas plus 450 from the petrol when loaded giving a total range of 750 loaded.

Once a year do a 2 weeker with 4 adults and 1 child ( 13 yrs ) in cab , About 700kg in tray and van weight around the 1.8T. Drops to around 280 on gas and still 450 on petrol giving total range 730klm.

90% of its life is spent racking up 60k per year on road so at about $ 7.50 per 100 klm it is a bargain in my book.

Hope this helps

Brad
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby joker on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:23 pm

We have 4 Mazda BT-50's at work. They are all about 18 months old and 3 of them have "lost" 5th gear. One car is now on its third gearbox.
Whatever you decide on, avoid the Mazdas like a Jehova's Witness at 7am on a sunday!
joker

Next

Return to Introductions