Thinking of Buying

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Thinking of Buying

Postby norto on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:58 pm

HI
I'm thinking of buying a new GLX-R auto to tow my 17 foot pop top caravan.
Can anyone tell me what the fuel economy is like etc and what issues they have or don't have
Thanks
Peter
Pete
norto

Re: Thinking of Buying

Postby Homer on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Mate they just changed model with a new engine (for Aus), so it's all a bit new at the moment.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Welcome Peter,
Glad you could make it over to our forum.

Like mentioned above- are you looking for a new triton (MN- with 2.5 diesel) or a second hand (ML 3.2 diesel)

My ML triton towing out 2 tonne offroad poptop averages about 17l/100kms. But I would say I'm at the top end of the usage, based on accessories.

Another members fuel usage- found searching fuel+towing

TRIGLXR wrote:71L is the most refueled, and average 14.6 towing the camper
Click to view larger picture

subi_man wrote:I've done some quick trip stats, which I thought might be of interest 8-)

I travelled about 7,400km and used approx 1240 litres of fuel. Total fuel cost was just under $1,800 - the dearest I saw was $2.00/litre at Cameron's Cnr, 2nd was $1.899 at William Creek. Cheapest was $1.209 at Clare in SA.

Overall economy worked out to be a little under 17l/100km, but I saw some scary numbers on 110km/hr highway sections (over 19l/100). No wonder the grey nomads potter around at 85km/hr ;) Tootling around without the trailer saw mine drop to 12.6-13.0l/100.

My mate's MY09 Triton was within a litre or so less of mine of every fill and he was towing a larger Jayco camper trailer - we both had roofracks with spare tyres causing a lot of drag. Partway through the trip I removed my TDC Powerchip and it made no difference to the economy.

Interestingly the Hilux (brand new D4D manual) used over 15% less fuel than both the Tritons :o He didn't have a roofrack, but was towing a similar setup to me.

My Dobinson's suspension was perfect. Heavily loaded and with the trailer connected, the Triton sat virtually perfectly level and handled very well. The best test was the very badly corrugated and rocky road into and out of Dalhousie, and I noticed no fade in the shocks (might have shortened their life a little though!!). It was on this section that my bashplate brackets cracked (those dodgy ones at the back of the sump guard), so it was pretty rough.

The other Triton on stock suspension and Cooper 17in tyres was almost riding the rear bump-stops and wallowed very badly on the tar, it was like riding in a boat :lol: However nothing broke or failed.

I'm about halfway through the pics, geez I was a little trigger happy at times :oops:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:22 pm

I've just bought the MN to tow a horse float. Can't really tell you re fuel economy towing as I've yet to do it, but it clearly has the power to do it notwithstanding the new smaller 2.5 engine. The dealer fitted tow pack certainly looks the goods as well. Can't recall seeing a set-up that looks as heavy duty (but then up until now I've been a Subaru man so what would I know?).

Keep in mind I guess that the auto has less torque (I think it was 350 vs 400?) and its fuel economy is allegedly 1 litre worse per 100km than the manual. Nice transmission though, very smooth so far.

Having typed all that I notice you have the Disco 3. The Disco 3 or the new 4 looked to have even more towing capacity than the Triton when I did the sums. The $$ chose the Triton though in the end.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby subi_man on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:19 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:(but then up until now I've been a Subaru man so what would I know?).

ex-Subaru men know a surprising amount, and if they don't know it are good at making stuff up that sounds believable ;)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 am

subi_man wrote:ex-Subaru men know a surprising amount, and if they don't know it are good at making stuff up that sounds believable ;)

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.! :roll: :roll: :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Introductions