G'day from the far south coast! and any ideas?

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

G'day from the far south coast! and any ideas?

Postby shortpoint on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 pm

hi everyone,

i just joined up to NewTriton and have spent the last 2 hours looking at all the options for my triton! you guys have some wicked trucks.

i have put a pic in my shed of a plan for a fabricated steel tray that i might be building in june(couldny post it on here yet). i wanted to see what you all think. my drawing is prety average...but it shows the idea, i used the windows paint program :lol: it would all be colour coded too.

planning on vinyl zip sides and a full sheet metal roof+rack. suspension will be upgraded to suit as well.

any thoughts guys/girls would be great!

Cheers

phil
surfing, or work....need i say more!
shortpoint

Re: G'day from the far south coast! and any ideas?

Postby al coholic on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Gday phil, welcome to the forum mate.

Your plan doesnt look too bad ;) Why are you thinking of using steel for the tray???? IMO, it adds alot of uneeded weight, especially cause its a dual cab, there is alot of weight that has to be supported behind the rear wheels.
I have a heavy duty alloy tray on mine, which is half the weight of the steel tray. You would be hard pressed to damge an alloy tray unless your throwing bricks or rocks onto it day in day out for work or something. The other plus is it wont rust obviously like steel trays, admitadly, steel trays do look the goods for the first year or so until the paint chips off and you scratch it etc. :cry:
Good luck with it all anyway, theres plenty of info on here for you.

BTW, the best way to post pics is to use photobucket. Sign up for an account which is free and then you can link photos from your album into your posts, easy. :D Cheers Ben
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby chef on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi Phil
if you look in my shed there is a picture of my setup which looks a bit what you after.
Going camping next weekend so will get some of my complete set up

Regards Chef
chef

Postby johno on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:53 pm

g'day Phil and welcome to the club.
Short point?, far south coast you must be close to me somewhere!!

I'd have to agree with the other chap and suggest you consider an alloy version.
You did say that you were thinking of doing it yourself, if that's the case and it's what you can work in (steel) then it would be the obvious choice.
keep looking at the shed profiles for some great ideas.
Good luck with the project.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby shortpoint on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:20 am

hi guys,

thanks for all the thoughts, will post some pics as soon as i get it all done, there are so many options!! alloy is an option too, i just have to find a good place to get it done.

hope to see you on the tracks!
shortpoint

Postby shortpoint on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Johno, you guessed right! we are in bega, no too far from you at all. do you go out and do much 4x4 around here?
johno wrote:g'day Phil and welcome to the club.
Short point?, far south coast you must be close to me somewhere!!

I'd have to agree with the other chap and suggest you consider an alloy version.
You did say that you were thinking of doing it yourself, if that's the case and it's what you can work in (steel) then it would be the obvious choice.
keep looking at the shed profiles for some great ideas.
Good luck with the project.
Cheers Johno
shortpoint

Postby johno on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:09 am

G'day Shortpoint, unfortunately there not a lot of places around here, too many National Parks!!
There's a few tracks out towards Bemboka, i missed out on a tour around there yesterday with some of the boys from ARB.
they pulled out at the last minute due to all the rain that we got. :cry:
They are back in a few (after they do a show in Queanbeyan) so hopefully i''ll get to tag along.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Return to Introductions