Alloy Tray decision

Anything Triton related

Alloy Tray decision

Postby spargo on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi all,

It's not even a week since we took delivery of our brand new Black VR MY09 dual-cab Triton 4x4, and it has impressed us no end.

First after-market alteration is the decision to remove the style-side ute body, and fit a Triple M dual-cab alloy ute tray, with polished tube head-board and the usual Triple M features. For an assortment of reasons we chose not to have it supplied and fitted by the dealer.

Our plans are to use it for camping, and for around town; with a longer term view of taking it off-road touring with either a canvas canopy on the alloy tray (see: http://www.jackoff.com.au/CanvassCanopyBrisbane.php, or a Jack-Off Camping Canopy (see http://www.jackoff.com.au/CampingBrisbane.php). The idea of a style-side ute doesn't interest us, despite the fact that it is our only car and will be used around town/urban areas 95% of the time. We just think there's more space to be gained having an alloy tray, and the abilty to carry camping equipment, landscaping and home renovation material with ease, not having to worry about the style-side being dinged up is appealing also.

Just wondering if anyone else has been through the process of switching to an alloy tray on a dual-cab triton - whether they're happy with the decision, and if anyone has any tips about the switch or recommendations of alloy tray suppliers in Brisbane/SEQ??

thanks in advance.
spargo

Re: Alloy Tray decision

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 am

spargo wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has been through the process of switching to an alloy tray on a dual-cab triton - whether they're happy with the decision, and if anyone has any tips about the switch or recommendations of alloy tray suppliers in Brisbane/SEQ??

thanks in advance.

Thats a good idea, its on my wish list to get a custom tray made up for camping, just havn't found what I'm looking for yet without it costing more than the ute.
why don't you keep everything with the same company http://www.jackoff.com.au/UteTrayBodiesBrisbane.php
i.e have the tray made up by jackoff- might be cheaper in the end.

If you go for the full alloy canopy be aware of where the wheels sit on the triton in regard to where the load will be- especially if you go for a longer tray.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1616&p=23337&hilit=+bent+chassis#p23337
There have been no issues with the triton to date. but what happened to the BT50 in the link would be of concern.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Homer on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 am

Yep, the amount of overhang was one reason I didn't go that same way.
The older model with an extended tray took everything you could want, but all the new trucks must have increased rear leg room or something, as the trays are a concern IMHO being so far past the back axle.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby spargo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 am

If you we carrying a substantial load, I agree the length of the tray past the rear axle would be a concern, but our biggest load would be on a touring/camping trip, and we're pretty light travellers. The dual-cab trays are fairly stubby, and we're only doing the standard tray - nothing illegal in the way of extra length etc.

Add to that that we're not tradespeople, so any weekend loads would be limited to soil/mulch or a pile of bricks, both of which could be carried in the style-side if you wanted to load it up so I can't see there being too much difference in load distribution between the two configs.

The Triple M tray is the same as that supplied by Mitsubishi as a factory option (Triple M have a supplier agreement with Mitsu Aus. in Qld) - I'm just opting to get ours after-market direct from Triple M after the dealer refused to budge on his mark-up. From that, I'm assuming it'll be ok taking a load.
spargo

Postby subi_man on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:54 am

This thread might help, I thought there was one with some more pics but can;t find it sorry
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby boris on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:18 pm

hi spargo, ive done exactly what your about to do. The triple m tray on the dual cabs is 1600 long & it is almost in line with the end of the tow bar tongue, so overhang is no issue. I also added a pair of durapoly toolboxes behind the mudguards & is a good fit. I installed the tray myself after triple m sent me the destructions & took about 4 hrs. Best thing ive done to the ute as i can carry heaps of gear now
boris

Postby spargo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Great to hear from someone having done it; thanks Boris - do you find you have any issues with rear-ward visibility with the width of the tray (side mirrors) given the Triple M's are slightly wider than the cabin etc? And do you have photos of it with the Triple M tray? I'm keen to see it as you don't see many around town which surprises me.

There's no doubt that it is what we want, but there are still some seeds of doubt that we'll regret it after we get rid of the style-side tub. My main issues are the change to the look of the vehicle, and also the issue of its width when being used around town. Any other insights or opinions are very welcome!

As for its ultimate use as an off-road tourer with a jack-off canopy, a tray is perfect - it's just that i'm hopelessly indecisive! :)
spargo

Postby boris on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:57 pm

no issues with visibility as ive added the spacers to the mirrors which you can get from mitsu. Sorry i dont have any photos , i am hopeless with computers and dont really know how to. Have to get better half to show me.
boris

Postby Raz89 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:14 am

Hey mate,

I have a colour-coded steel tray to match my dual cab (very similar in appearance to the photo subi_man placed on the above link - minus the flash infill and undertray tool box). It is approximately 1800 x 1800 (which I think is standard size). It was custom built and is very solid, only thing is to tow a boat with short draw bar is a major pain in the @ss (the tow ball is recessed approximately 300 past the tray) therefore winch and tray are fairly close, and hitching on is no easy feat either. I haven't had any major loads in the tray yet, heaviest load I've carried is my YFZ450 Quad, a loaded 60L esky, a swag and two jerry cans (probably totaling to about 260kg). I have no photos as yet, except for my display picture. I am stoked with the tray as it makes it so much easier to fit bigger items in, and I just make sure to put the heavier stuff at the front. You will be much happier with a tray rather than the style side.

Cheers mate.
Last edited by Raz89 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Postby spargo on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Ok, an update. I've sought a few quotes, and the winner appears to be a mob in Slacks Creek, Brisbane, called AMA (http://www.ama4wd.com.au/) who have quoted me to supply and fit a flash polished alloy 5' 6" tray onto our new dual-cab VR.

It is the same spec as this one shown on a D40, but it will fit the dual-cab Triton:
http://www.ama4wd.com.au/img/products/1 ... 698459.jpg
http://www.ama4wd.com.au/img/products/1 ... 698542.jpg

Here is their bog-standard tray on a D-C Triton, but with different headboard to the one on the D40:
http://www.ama4wd.com.au/img/products/1 ... 612400.jpg
The chequer-plate filler between cab and tray is extra - might not get this.

http://www.ama4wd.com.au/img/products/1 ... 612373.jpg
http://www.ama4wd.com.au/img/products/1 ... 612807.jpg

Despite this we're still having second thoughts about losing the style-side, and the ability to go down the fitted ARB canopy or lid option; so I'm keen to hear from anyone who has chosen to put a fibreglass canopy on and why? Most of the Tritons on here have canopies or hard lids, and various people I have spoken to voiced concerns about the lack of security by not having a canopy or lid - all of this which has me doubting my intentions a bit..

We'll eventually get a solid roof removable canvas cover for touring in a few years, but at the most all we'll have is a tonneau cover on this tray for day to day usage around town.

Happy to hear from any of you. :)
spargo

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:16 pm

My original choice was similar to yours.
I had sussed out a mob in Western Australia that could make an alloy canopy that looked alright on the triton.
This canopy was rounded under the tray in an effort to smooth the look out

The cost was around 10k though, which when you look at getting an ARB canopy was just too dear. They now no longer do this type of design with a one size fits all aproach.

I also looked into a custom body and this was dearer again a quote for 17k.

even with the thought of keeping the back for 2 vehicles (2x 3 year leases) I couldn't justify the expence.

I got a ARB canopy, its a bit anoying in that its not dust proof, its not as large as a tray back but all the stuff fits in, its lockable and it suits the look of the vehicle as its a daily driver for the wife.

I'm still on the looks out for 2 cheap stylside trays so that I can get a pannel beater to cut them to lengthen the tray, then cut just above the wheel arches and use this as a flat tray. Then put a alloy canopy on top of this platform. I have priced up the work and its not too bad- but the complete finished product will be expensive, but should look factory.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby jop on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:05 pm

G'day spargo, i also went down the custom route but for a minecorp steel tray - the same as the hilux at the top of this link - http://minecorp.com.au/index.htm.
I was quoted 4.5k with delivery, but when it came down to it, the security and the fact that i could replace a factory tub for a couple of hundred if damaged won out.
I did see a silver glxr the other day with a custom steel tray - it was colour coded, low slung flat tray (moto's or camper i reckon), tool boxes filled the infill behind the cab, glxr laser cut in the thin edge of the tray, thin LED rear lights. It is the best i have seen by far and i am gutted he got away before i could get a pic.
I am in the process of fitting a rack to a spare lid for extra capacity when camping.
Go for what you want mate, don't forget the pics!
My 2 cents anyway,
Mark
jop

Postby spargo on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Yeah it's funny that a lot of people I've spoken to who contemplate the tray option sway back to keeping the style side and just go for a canopy and liner - I just reckon it will bug me that I can't carry anything beyond the limits of that canopy (long lengths of anything, loads of topsoil, sand, garden materials, and do the inevitable trip to the tip.

With a removable canvas canopy cover over a tray (see: http://www.jackoff.com.au/images/canvass.jpg), I'm thinking we'll have the best of both worlds; but still the issue of not having a lockable 'boot' space for much of the time is holding me back.

hmmm.. :?
spargo

Postby Homer on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:13 am

Yeah I use the ute as a ute, so hard canopy was a no brainer - they just get in the way.

I had a dilemma over the aluminium tray also, because of the extra size they offer and fitting a pallet between the wheel arches etc, but wimped out and kept the style side with a tonneau just because of the looks and because we have other utes with full sized trays.

It makes it a bit hard if it's your primary car and you need to store stuff securely, but if it's not going to store high value gear, why worry?

To be honest, if we didn't have other vehicles with full size tray's, I wouldn't have bought any of the dual cabs on the market. Just too small a tray for commercial use.

But I love it!!!!
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby spargo on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for the comments Homer - appreciated!

We've considered the tonneau option on the existing style-side, and although it looks ok on the white, I'd probably prefer to have one on an alloy tray if that's all the cover we're going to get.. And because it's a VR we've have to consider adding a load-bearing roll bar to take anything lenghty that might extend over the roof. Geez there are so many different scenarios when you think it through; and because its our only car, we're perhaps trying to do the impossible and make it a vehicle for all situations.

Another issue I thought of is the aerodynamics of having an 1800-wide alloy tray sticking out of the sides of the body, and what that might do to economy. We don't drive our cars a lot, and it is a diesel anyway, but it's just another factor to consider in doing the switch.
spargo

Postby ML-VR08 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 am

Why not just opt for a trailer for carrying the topsoil etc etc...and just keep the Styleside and add some ladder racks and maybe a custom canvas canopy!
ML-VR08

Postby spargo on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 am

True, a trailer is yet another option, plus we've got the space to store it which is usually half the problem. Then down the track we could modify the ute to suit our touring needs after some time using it.

As I read back through this discussion there have definitely been some great comments - thanks for all of your opinions, they're much appreciated..

Anyone else want to weigh in?
spargo

Postby jop on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 am

Don't know if you have checked with TJM geebung but here are some options on:

racks - http://www.tjmgeebung.com.au/ladder_rac ... s_bars.htm
roll top cover - http://www.tjmgeebung.com.au/ute_lids_a ... covers.htm

Cheers
Mark
jop

Postby spargo on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am

Alright, an update.

After a week of investigations, quotes, phone calls, visits to random sheds and workshops; we're just about to place an order with AMA in Brisbane for a 5-foot long x 1830 wide alloy tray, with an front externally-mounted 3" polished bar, and removable cargo barrier. The five foot length, although short, puts the internal measurement of the rear end of the alloy tray at about the external measurement of the style-side, so it won't overhang anymore than the factory setup, and inhibit access to a tow bar.

Their proposed design will allow easy fit of a soft tonneau cover on it on the short term, and then with a minor mod will fit our planned Canvas hard-topped canopy, or the Jack-off tray options down the track.

Will post pics etc. once it's installed next week-ish.

Thanks very much for all of your contributions.. :)
spargo

Postby spargo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 pm

It is done.

Click to view larger picture
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Click to view larger picture
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Better photos coming in due course, showing the sides fixed on it, and from various angles. We're very happy with it!!
I've already replaced the tray suppliers logo'd mudflaps with plain black (thanks to Autobarn)
spargo

Postby Buzzy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:52 am

I like it spargo.

What are you doing with the old tray? mmmmmmm a matching black trailer would look nice :roll:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby spargo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 am

Here's more, with the sides on, ready to roll.. We'll likely take the rear mesh board off and just use it when we need it. Just 4 bolts and it's gone/back on.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Next stop - tow-bar, soft tonneau cover or semi-fixed rear toolbox, and bonnet z-bracket mounted UHF aerial and GME unit.
spargo

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Mate that looks good.
The lenght of the tray is about right. It wouldn't want to be any longer In my opinion.

There are a few people selling genuine towbars on the forum- some havn't even been fitted (tritonstu JOP from memory)
You might be able to pick up a bargin.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby jop on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Yeah that matches well - nice height too
I have a glxr heavy duty tow bar and step for sale if you are after genuine.
Cheers
Mark
jop

Postby spargo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:25 pm

4wd26 wrote:Mate that looks good.
The lenght of the tray is about right. It wouldn't want to be any longer In my opinion.

There are a few people selling genuine towbars on the forum- some havn't even been fitted (tritonstu JOP from memory)
You might be able to pick up a bargin.

Yeah bingo. It's only an inch, maybe two longer than the tub, so it fits perfectly into the original design form factor, which we were determined not to ruin.

jop wrote:Yeah that matches well - nice height too
I have a glxr heavy duty tow bar and step for sale if you are after genuine.
Cheers
Mark

what's the story, do you two use the same computer or something?? :D ;)

I'll have a think about the bar jop, but it's likely I'll get TJM to fit a Hayman Reece bar next week based on a quote they've given me, and then I'l know that it's fitted and wired all ok - something worries me about putting that kind of gear on a 2t ute myself!!
Last edited by spargo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spargo

Next

Return to General Discussion