ECU Comparisons between TDC And DP module.

Anything Triton related

ECU Comparisons between TDC And DP module.

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:40 am

With the Help from one of the forum guy's who loaned me his DP Module i did a comparison test over 200kms today to see how much improvement a piggy back module has over the standard ECU.
The test covered 55kms circuit work, in gear acceleration, 0-100kph times, constant speed up a hill and well as fuel economy runs.
First tested was the DP module, then the standard triton without any modules then my TDC Module set on 7.

With the fuel economy runs i used my trip computer as a comparion and know that the actual economy figures should be between .3 and .4 litres better then what it reads as i tested the trip computer when i filled up before the test.
The trip computer was reset before each circuit trip was done and once all circuits where done the acceleration times where done. Each test was done in the same way so the results where fair and even.

The DP module returned great fuel economy as the photo belows shows.
Click to view larger picture
With the DP Module i was very impressed with the power and economy and the unit looked very impressive and i like the fact that the mapping can be tuned via laptop so you can adjust the mapping to suit your driving style.
The constant speed up a hill it reached 106kph

The Standard ECU produced the worst economy on the test loop by a fair way.
[Click to view larger picture
The constant speed test showed how much better the modules did compared to standard as my truck could only reach 92kph at the same point as the DP.

My TDC was set on 7 as the supplier recommended and the economy was in between as shown below.
Click to view larger picture
My Tdc was nearly as good as the DP in the hill test reaching 104kph at the same point.

Below is acceleration tests done in 5th gear between 40-60kph,60-80kph and 80-100kph they are done over 2-3 runs to get a average

DP Module Standard ECU TDC set on 7

40-60kph 9.16s 10.5s 10.02s

60-80kph 8.20s 10.43s 9.85s

80-100kph 6.75s 9.40s 6.7s

It shows in 5th gear that there isn't much between the dp and tdc modules

Next Test is the same speeds but in 3rd gear.

40-60kph 5.11s 5.82s 5.40s

60-80kph 4.72s 6.00s 4.30s

80-100kph 5.87s 6.54s 5.32s

Again the DP and TDC are close except my old triton doesn't like being rev'ed to 100kph in 3rd gear as the times show.

Next is 0-100kph done twice over the same course.

0-100kph 17.09s & 17.30s 18.69s & 18.58s 16.22s & 16.22s

The times are slow which is expected as my triton was loaded with gear as well as it had 2 people on board.
It Surpised me that the TDC was the quickest the the DP then naturally the standard ECU.

What i found with my test was that both modules where much better then standard which isn't a surpise but what is, is how fast the tdc was and how economy the DP Module was.

The DP module is a great unit and i am considering buying one as it produces good power and even better economy.

The TDC is great valve for the money but some forum guys have had realiably problems, i've only had one when i set the unit too high.

So the difference between the TDC and the DP in price is $1000 but with the fuel saving you would get from the DP Module it wouldn't take long to make up the difference.

It looks like i"ll be saving up to buy a DP module as i can tune it to my needs.
Thanks again to Wallace for trusting me enough to loan me his DP Module and i really appreciate him doing that.
Cheers
Last edited by GLX-RSilver on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
GLX-RSilver

Re: ECU Comparisons between TDC And DP module.

Postby Sapient on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:49 am

Nice job Silver..... ;)

EDIT: Just had a thought, you running a 3" exhaust right Silver?
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Eelesy on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Another awesome thread Mr Silver
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Wallace on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Great job Silver and only to happy to send it you for the test. Just to fill all in on my module the following must be taken into consideration.
1.The DP unit which is preset by Andrew produces huge amounts of extra torque and power especially in the mid range which is very impressive BUT........
2. I had the DP module remapped so the power and torque were available at a lower rev range which consequently suited my driving style and the fact that I quite often tow extremely heavy loads.
3. I have been extremely happy with the performance, fuel economy and Andrews service.

Again well done Silver............... :D :D
Last edited by Wallace on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Sapient wrote:Nice job Silver..... ;)

EDIT: Just had a thought, you running a 3" exhaust right Silver?

Yes running through a 3 inch exhaust
GLX-RSilver

Postby boostedbmw on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Well my 3" exhaust is going in on Tuesday and i ordered my DP unit today and it will also be here on Tuesday. Is there any hard wiring on the DP unit? ie. to the throttle like on a Steinbauer unit.
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:19 pm

boostedbmw wrote:Well my 3" exhaust is going in on Tuesday and i ordered my DP unit today and it will also be here on Tuesday. Is there any hard wiring on the DP unit? ie. to the throttle like on a Steinbauer unit.

Hey Boostedbmw it's very easy to install the DP takes all of 2minutes just a manner of un-pluging the plug at the back of the injector pump near the dip stick, then plug one wire from the DP module into that and the other plug on the DP Lead into the injector pump. It's too easy.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby boostedbmw on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Cool, sounds much easier than the Steinbauer. That plugged into each injector seperatly. I cant wait now.
DP and boost controller and 3" exhaust should give a good figure.
boostedbmw

Postby daryn on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:24 pm

Boosted, it would be interesting to then add your figures if you had the time to try it out because of the possible differences with Wallaces remapmed DP Chip.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:34 pm

daryn wrote:Boosted, it would be interesting to then add your figures if you had the time to try it out because of the possible differences with Wallaces remapmed DP Chip.

The only difference is my test was done with 33's
cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby sjp on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:54 pm

excuse my lack of knowhow but has anybody tried to use the pajero ecu (instead of trying to find the elusive perfect solution),same motors etc -but the paj is heavier ( wifes np) has better fuel ecomony and 8 kw more grunt on paper havent tried it as i dont even know where to find it :roll:
sjp

Postby boostedbmw on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Would the factory trip computer give an accurate reading seeing we are FOOLING the injectors.
boostedbmw

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:48 am

thanks for those results, great comparisement for my piggyback when it arrives and is installed.
:)

Peter want to try the DMS? takes longer to install, but performance gain, i am sure its gona put a huge grin on your face.
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:50 am

boostedbmw wrote:Would the factory trip computer give an accurate reading seeing we are FOOLING the injectors.

Hey there No the trip computer shouldn't be playing tricks as before the test i did over 2000kms with the TDC and it returned 11.7 on the trip computer and when i fill it up before the test i worked out on fuel used compared to km's driven and it returned 11.4lt/100kms.
All the test shows is a comparison readings and i have nothing to gain from the test as i'm no seller just a follow forum guys wanting the best performance and economy for the dollar.
If i had time i could of filled up after every circuit loop, but i didn't think it was needed.
I guess no manner what tests are done there would also be some doubts on the reasons so i tried to make it as even as possible.
I've also been told by other forum guys running the DP Chip how great it's on fuel and after testing it myself i have no doubts about it, just wish i had one.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:52 am

MonsterTriton wrote:thanks for those results, great comparisement for my piggyback when it arrives and is installed.
:)

Peter want to try the DMS? takes longer to install, but performance gain, i am sure its gona put a huge grin on your face.

Hey there monster no worries i'll test your DMS it would be interesting test done on the same loop and the results would be on a even playing field.
GLX-RSilver

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:07 am

yes ofcourse. as long as you have the patience to install it, as its doesnt increase the fuel pressure it does not consist of a single cable with two caps.
MonsterTriton

Postby trouble on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 am

Does the installation of a new "chip" void the factory warranty????
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Buzzy on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

Brilliant work Sliver, top job mate.
Thx for lending your DP chip Mark, helps everyone on the site out ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:01 pm

MonsterTriton wrote:yes ofcourse. as long as you have the patience to install it, as its doesnt increase the fuel pressure it does not consist of a single cable with two caps.

No worries that's cool i guess there instructions to install it.
cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:08 pm

yes instructions and photo guidline to help.
MonsterTriton

Postby Wallace on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Thx for lending your DP chip Mark, helps everyone on the site out

Buzzy no problems with Silver or anyone else on this forum. As you well know I have established some good friendships on this site even though I have not met the people in question but I will eventually meet those that I correspond with on a regular basis............if I ever get the chance I will meet Silver if and when I am in Victoria. Thanks for the favourable response. :D :D BTW if anyone was capable of doing an unbiased comparison it would have been Silver, just look at the contributions he has made to this site with his willingness to share information as to the modifications to his Triton. Bloody commendable if you ask me. 8-) 8-)
Support Beyondblue
Wallace

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Hey there Wallace, thanks again for the kind words.
Yes we will meet up one day as i still have to find your secret trout fishing spot. :D :D
Cheers mate
GLX-RSilver

Postby boostedbmw on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Yeah i was not doubting silvers results, just the trip computer. Thanks for the info. I will G-TECH my car after the exhaust and chip is in and post the results.
boostedbmw

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:45 pm

boostedbmw wrote:Yeah i was not doubting silvers results, just the trip computer. Thanks for the info. I will G-TECH my car after the exhaust and chip is in and post the results.

Hey there just to let you know i filled up my triton today after the test and over 250kms of the testing and general driving it returned 11.56/100kms so my trip computer was fairly correct.
cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Wallace on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:51 pm

i still have to find your secret trout fishing spot.

Mate if you're ever up this way I would be happy to take to the mountains for a spot of fishing. That shot was taken before we had the devistating low water levers in the impoundments in the snowy region......unfortunately I can definately say that we will never see fishing that way until I am well and truly buried. shame as I have been fishing these waters since I was 5 years old tucked up in a blanket with dad, good rest his sole.... :( :(
Support Beyondblue
Wallace

Return to General Discussion