Turbo Timer ???

Anything Triton related

Turbo Timers......Are they needed?

Postby longsville on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Ok so there are heaps of posts about TT's but no definative answer.
This MY11 GLX-r is my first diesel and turbo, i know that things like skylines and stuff need the times but does a triton?
Im a city driver and occasionaly go for 100-200km drives across the state every few weeks.
In the city i dont mind to give the engine a 'raz', but dont rev it to death.....
Whats the verdict?
longsville

Re: Turbo Timers......Are they needed?

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 pm

ive got one and when ever im on the beach(hard going, engine temps are generally higher) i let it cool down for 3mins with the T.T or ill have it set at 2mins when on the highway doing constant rpm and pull into a servo for a quick stop or when towing it just gives that little bit more time for the turbo to spool down to idle rpm and the turbo to match this aswell as letting water temps stabilize a little after high loads. in saying that i generally have mine off when just driving in city traffic because i only change at a max of 1800 and when parking the engine has been below 1000rpm for about 30seconds already. remember these things are spinning at
100 000rpm+
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby MLTRIT08 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:34 pm

As Chicky said, yes it is wise to have the timer especially after longs runs on the beach or highway, i usually just let the engine run for a couple of mins after such events, it is possible to cook the turbo if it doesnt get to cool down sufficently.
MLTRIT08

Postby mjwilmo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Likely stupid question, but ive always wondered how the turbo cools down quicker with the engine on as opposed to turning the engine off... surely without the engoine on, and all the moving parts etc, it would cool quicker?

obviously not, but why not?
mjwilmo

Re: Turbo Timer ???

Postby daryn on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Topics merged.

Welcome longsville, have a sticky at search as well mate, tutorial link in my signature below. :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:37 pm

mjwilmo wrote:Likely stupid question, but ive always wondered how the turbo cools down quicker with the engine on as opposed to turning the engine off... surely without the engoine on, and all the moving parts etc, it would cool quicker?

its a two handed deal: one your actually more interested with the turbo slowing down to low rpm because when the engine is switched off the turbo is still spinning with no oil pressure hence why u shouldn't turn your car off straight after pulling big rpm or high load. two: your turbo builds heat from large amounts of hot exhaust gases hence when the engines idled these gasses are not as hot(hence why your turbo doesn't really spool up untill 2000 or so rpm) and thus causes the heat in the turbo to dissipate with the flow of cooler gasses flowing through it.
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Turbo Timer ???

Postby Bad Kitty on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:25 am

Chicky did you copy that last post from a manual? I'm quite impressed that you knew the word dissipate!!
Bad Kitty

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:47 am

IMO it's all about oil.

Oil removes heat as a very close second to providing lubrication.

So running for a short period allows the oil to remove the heat out of the turbo bearings and shaft. The rest of the turbo (vanes) isn't affected by heat unless there is oil mist present.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 am

i only just found out turbo timers are illegal. :? :cry:

never had an issue with mine but i try to be mindfull of turning off after a big effort - particualrly when 4wding up a big hill etc. i often leave mine running when wheeling.

usually towing or normal driving i have found you almost never run big RPM or loads and then just shut off anyway.

even though we have little turbos it has a big oil drain pipe so it does cop a lot of oil to take away that heat.

surely 30 seconds or so would be enough to get rid of the really big temps that have any chance to do any damage?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 am

its an interesting argument, you worry about the temp when stopping the engine, but what about when you start up and give it a boot full to start the day cause your running late?? just as much damage being done there surely...

I believe oils are designed better these days to cope with the extremes of start up and shut down, and lets face it even after flogging it along the main roads, you almost always then putter through your 50km/h suburban streets for a minute or two and that stablizes most of your temps again.

so while a timer is good, a bit of common sense works just as well. Also interesting to find them illegal, can you point us to that info snowie??

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:51 pm

apparently it is not the timer install that is illegal but leaving an unattended vehicle running.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:55 pm

snowman wrote:apparently it is not the timer install that is illegal but leaving an unattended vehicle running.

ohh ok, cool. makes sense.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:35 pm

snowman wrote:apparently it is not the timer install that is illegal but leaving an unattended vehicle running.

Correct
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tokirky on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I never turn me engine off straight away, but i use my best guess and sometimes my watch as a TT, work fine and cheaper... :lol:
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby Kegsy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 pm

I've got the newprotech one in my truck, usually leave it set for 1 minute. Im not sure if its needed, but I'd rather be sure than sorry.

On my xr5 I never had one because they are an electrical mine field (volvo) but I always idled it down and just waited.

Where I work we have a lot of heavy equipment; front end loaders, dump trucks etc. All of them are fitted with turbo timers, so that was my reasoning behind getting one. If they are good enough for cat and komatsu to fit them up its good enough for me.

Like wise with our western star's, mack's and freight-liners, all have timers.

But on the other hand our 90's model courier gets absolutely thrashed onsite and shutdown right after and it has 180,000kms on the clock with the original turbo...

Who knows...
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby longsville on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Is the tritons turbo intercooled in the 2011 model......?
longsville

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Yep.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Intercooling has nothing to do with cooling the turbine its self.
What we rely on as mentioned earlier, the water feed around the oil gallery. They cool very quickly compared to the old school oil only setup.
Only worry if you have done a really hard and long burst. Mostly fine to shut down once in a 50 or 60 zone for a few minutes. Timers can waste fuel and cause glazing on modern turbo diesels if over used anyway.

T
Last edited by Tony on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:11 pm

yer tony has a point, i only use it on a hot engine because when mines cold its babied till its warmed soo no real need to use it
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby longsville on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback and good to know i dont have to go and spend more $$$ on that
longsville

Postby fraz91 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:21 pm

About the legalities of the turbo-timers. Most of the one's i've been looking at (HKS, Miccon and bogaard) all have a safety switch so that if the handbrake is released while the T.T. is running the engine, it immediately shuts off the engine as it would when you switch the car off. Most vehicles' doors can also be locked with the engine running on the turbo-timer, so i'd see it as pretty safe. I understand the whole "can't leave a running vehicle unattended" deal, but they're all protected from being stolen or driving off.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby trouble on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Leaving a vehicle unattended and running is a ticketable offence. ;)
NSW only (that I know of)
Last edited by trouble on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby fraz91 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 pm

fair enough then.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby motoz on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:33 pm

The other problem with turbo timers is the fact that if the vehicle is involved in an accident the TT 'can' keep the fuel pump running and fuel go everywhere.

More of an issue in a petrol vehicle yet still a problem. I have seen this first hand when on the way home I found a Skyline wrapped around a armco and on its roof. The impact had totaled the drivers side and the keys were nowhere to be found. The bloke had been boosting and the thing just wouldn't shutdown.

Anxious times.

:shock:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mandino on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:58 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:
mjwilmo wrote:Likely stupid question, but ive always wondered how the turbo cools down quicker with the engine on as opposed to turning the engine off... surely without the engoine on, and all the moving parts etc, it would cool quicker?

its a two handed deal: one your actually more interested with the turbo slowing down to low rpm because when the engine is switched off the turbo is still spinning with no oil pressure hence why u shouldn't turn your car off straight after pulling big rpm or high load. two: your turbo builds heat from large amounts of hot exhaust gases hence when the engines idled these gasses are not as hot(hence why your turbo doesn't really spool up untill 2000 or so rpm) and thus causes the heat in the turbo to dissipate with the flow of cooler gasses flowing through it.

I might add to this, the turbo timers main function is to allow the Oil inside the turbocharger to cool down to such a level that will help to prevent it "coking" on the main shaft. Basically if the oil is too hot it will bind onto the turbine shaft, thus increasing tolerances between the shaft and bearing/bush, causing premature wear/failure.

Much more of an issue on the older oil only cooled brass bush bearing turbos.
mandino

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion