Exhaust Thoughts?

Anything Triton related

Re: Exhaust Thoughts?

Postby 2ENIL8 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 am

What is the exhaust diameter on a standard MN Triton? as I am thinking to stop the overboost issue if you go a little bit smaller diameter or am I completely on the wrong path.
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 am

Manufacturers will put on the minimum sized exhaust on product they can. Definitely wouldn't go smaller.

Probably the process would include; what boost are you actually getting, is the turbo & components working correctly, what mods have you done that may be cause, etc.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Vrednie on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:31 pm

I've had a 2 3/4 Beaudesert mild steel Exhaust (with ceramic coated dump pipe) on my 2.5 BT50 for the last 5 years and it's been fantastic. No Muffler or Resonator. The turbo is a good enough muffler. Turbo spools quicker and and improves torque a little. I also changed the intercooler to a Northside 4x4 model, and testing them back to back you can notice a difference (seat of the pants). Thinking of doing similar at some stage to the Triton ( that i don't have yet lol)
Vrednie

Postby djoverdose on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi... Im from Manila Philippines. Had my 2.5 diesel mitsu strada (triton) for almost 4yrs now. Replaced its exhaust when it was till new. Upgraded it to 2.5" SS straight pipe, turbo down 2.5" and a 10" resonator. Response was waaayyy better than the stock whoch is around 2". Fuel consumption was way better too... Stock i was getting like 8KM/L after the upgrade its 11kM/L. Lately i decided to try on a 3" pipe.. It breathes much better compared to the 2.5" though felt there was abit of loss just a tad bit though of torque in low rpm, but cruising and overtaking, it was a different story... Fuel consumption really varies depending on your foot... It can go as low as 6km/L upto 8.5km/l.
djoverdose

Postby BusterMan2388 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:10 am

I have a 2014 MN triton. i wanna do an exhaust to it but have a few questions to clarify a few things...

1. I read that 2.75' is the go but much dearer which rules it out for me as i don't have a lot of spare cash.. not to mention I'm yet to see one on ebay. So my question is will the 3' be ok?

2. Where does that "woo" noise come from? the snorkel or the tail pipe? how loud is it? it sounds bloody terrible in my opinion.. i don't want to be driving around going woo woo woo woo woo woo everywhere ill sound like super mario...

3. Whats the actual turbo spool sound like? my mates colorado and the old model not the new one has a 3' and it doesn't make any intake noise really just a really nice high pitched whistle as it spools sounds awesome!!! hoping the triton does a similar thing.

your replies would be greatly appreciated! cheers
BusterMan2388

Postby triton_guru on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:56 am

Ive got a 2.5" exhaust hotdog muffler and the exhaust comes out in front of the rear tyre on drivers side with 33" tyres there was no way i was fitting an exhaust past the spare wheel haha but fantastic mod car responses alot better
triton_guru

Postby BusterMan2388 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:00 pm

What about turbo whistle?
BusterMan2388

Postby triton_guru on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeah get abit of a turbo whistle from the tail pipe, mainly on deceleration but isn't too loud, a friend has a Hilux and all he did was take the muffler out and his whistles like crazy
triton_guru

Postby djoverdose on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:31 pm

BusterMan2388 wrote:What about turbo whistle?

Hey buddy! Actually the turbo sound comes from the tail end of the exhaust. Also the sound of your exhaust will depend on the type of resonator or muffler your going to put. Though the turbo also acts as a resonator too.. So even if you dont have any muffler it will not sound too loud.... Will try to take a video of my truck... So that youll get an idea how it sounds like... .
djoverdose

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:20 pm

BusterMan2388 wrote:I have a 2014 MN triton. i wanna do an exhaust to it but have a few questions to clarify a few things...

1. I read that 2.75' is the go but much dearer which rules it out for me as i don't have a lot of spare cash.. not to mention I'm yet to see one on ebay. So my question is will the 3' be ok?

2. Where does that "woo" noise come from? the snorkel or the tail pipe? how loud is it? it sounds bloody terrible in my opinion.. i don't want to be driving around going woo woo woo woo woo woo everywhere ill sound like super mario...

3. Whats the actual turbo spool sound like? my mates colorado and the old model not the new one has a 3' and it doesn't make any intake noise really just a really nice high pitched whistle as it spools sounds awesome!!! hoping the triton does a similar thing.

your replies would be greatly appreciated! cheers

Seriously, I you don't have a lot of cash, don't bother. A larger exhaust will give you absolutely no more performance, unless you are going with some more performance mods. Even with a chip, the exhaust will not give you a lot.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby djoverdose on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Heres a short vid of my truck... Sorry i took it at night. Im checking out my rear lights. Just wired them that night. Aside from the turbos whining sound the other one was from my A/C bearing... Hihihi need to have it checked. From the turbo its 2.5" turbo down then straight 3" all the way to the tip with a 10" resonator to dampen the sound a bit more....

http://vid33.photobucket.com/albums/d54 ... c3aebf.mp4
djoverdose

Postby djoverdose on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Been through with a 2.5" exhaust and i can say the best size would be the 2.5". Havent tried the 2.75" but from where im at right now with the 3", performance wise theres little difference between the 2.5" and the 3", 2.5" being more perky on the low rpms while 3" has more grunt at mid to high rpms. But the draw back was with the 3" if you floor it most of the time or shift gears always above 3,000rpm it will tax you on your FC. While in 2.5" even if you play with it your FC will still be on the ok side.... @ 2.5" FC avg. 8.9-9.5KM/L, @3" FC avg. 6.5-8.2KM/L running with M/T 285/75 r16.
djoverdose

Postby BusterMan2388 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:02 pm

The xforce system has 2.5" at the dump. Well mine does then 3" the rest of the way. 2.75" is not worth it for the money. Been getting various opinions from various professionals. Just my judgement at the end of the day of course. Others will differ.
BusterMan2388

Postby BusterMan2388 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Oh and the turbo lag isn't as bad. Between gear changes the turbo gets up and boogies just a bit quicker. No turbo wine for me made no difference. Just a whistle/woo sound from the tail pipe
BusterMan2388

Postby ICKIS on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi... am new into the chat and am also looking to go bigger with exhaust..... from what i have been reading the 3" is a bit on the big side and i have had that opinion from a few exhausts shops.... but ... will running a muffler and 200 cell cat ( a bit finer and a little more resistance) going to perhaps help with the overspool issue??? I have also had some guys tell me not to run a cat in the dump pipe cause they actually dont get hot enough to work properly in amodern T/diesel.... aside from being illegal and voiding warranties .... can anyone offer me their opions on this... cheers
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby srb on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:24 pm

If you want my opinion, total waste of time and money on a stock standard Triton. :-|

Different story on a highly tuned one though. ;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm

srb wrote:If you want my opinion, total waste of time and money on a stock standard Triton. :-|

Agreed 100%
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ICKIS on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 pm

motoz wrote:
srb wrote:If you want my opinion, total waste of time and money on a stock standard Triton. :-|

Agreed 100%

fair enough... Ive got mine chipped and egr blank and am turning BFG km2 33's and contantly carry around 500kg above stock (accessories and tools)..... does that make a differce to your thoughts... I appreciate any feedback as I am weighing up what to do from here.

Cheers
ICKIS

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:44 pm

What chip?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 pm

ICKIS wrote:
motoz wrote:

Agreed 100%

fair enough... Ive got mine chipped and egr blank and am turning BFG km2 33's and contantly carry around 500kg above stock (accessories and tools)..... does that make a differce to your thoughts... I appreciate any feedback as I am weighing up what to do from here.

Cheers

Then you'll probably benefit from the larger zorst, really depends on the type of tune you're running and what you want to achieve.

I'm not qualified to say if It's worth it for you or not.

My own experience going to a larger zoorst was positive. I'm running a conservative tune, setup for touring at max GVM. My goals were to lower EGTs under load so I could actually use the tune to its full potential. Along with some custom tuning bits to insure I didn't get VGT overboost issues (common with 3'exhaust upgrades on VGT vehicles) I lowerd my max EGT'S by 200degrees.8-). Much safer and reliable for the type of driving I do. ;-).

Oh and they do sound better. 8-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 1 Nathan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

I have a 3.2 auto and I also have a egr blank I found a big change in the spool up time
Not to mention it sounds fully sic bro don't b afraid you will love it
Cons : stinks with the new 3" cat
1 Nathan

Postby ICKIS on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:53 pm

1 Nathan wrote:I have a 3.2 auto and I also have a egr blank I found a big change in the spool up time
Not to mention it sounds fully sic bro don't b afraid you will love it
Cons : stinks with the new 3" cat
The chip is a DRAKE BOXII from italy (ok i hear you growning) :roll: but it was the right price and really gives more squirt from the right foot (@ $150 delivered........) I run it on a conservative setting of map 3 of 10 which i guess is a mild tune... I found on map 8 the fuel couldn't be delivered fast enough to feed it if you got heavy with the right boot..... and it was way to perky to be a comfortable drive anyway. map 5 gets run occasionally if loaded up and the terrain is hard going and you just need a few more ponies.... :) :) :)

MY NEXT BIG QUESTION...... TO CAT OR NOT TO CAT..... :o :o :o :o !!!

I have once again been talking to the "muffler men" and again been told that the cat is not a legal requirement on desiels even if one was factory fitted...??? :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: But petrol engines must retain the cat due to the different type of emissions - petrol exhaust gases rise to the atmosphere where as deseil emissions due to their nature go up and fall back to the ground (not my words ... just how I had this mystery explained to me today - not sure if it is a load of bullcrap or what - they dont stand to make any more or less $$$ from you if there is a cat or not)

I mentioned factory warranty issues and was advised there would/could only be an issue if it was diagnosed that a problem was caused by the removal of the cat..... but very unlikely as only effects the quality of the exhaust gases

I have just spent the last 3 hours reading through any info I could find from QLD Transport regarding modifying exhaust systems and they are conveniently vague.... saying you can replace the cat... but not what with ... but there was definately no mention of there being a requirement for a deseil vehicle with factory fitted cat to maintain having one with a modified exhaust....... please correct me if i am wrong ... but I couldnt find anything

Again... any words of wisdom .... I really appreciate any advise. My thoughts are to probably stick to having a cat converter in the 3 system but .....
ICKIS

Postby ICKIS on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:43 pm

ordered a 3" with s/steel cat and s/steel muffler from DEA.... got a better price than what the advertised on ebay :lol: :lol: (ebay was $720 delivered) by phoning, asking a few q's and pay by c/c. Hope to install next weekend. :D :D I went for the cat and muffler to: a) keep it legal :? and avoid any possible warranty issues :o and b) to make it a little more comfortable in the cab and avoid the "drone". :x :x

This was the best deal i could find anyware....local or Aust wide ( sorry to the sponsors ). DEA are aussie made (not chinese import like some of the budget bolt on systems) and s/steel cat and muffler with aluminiumized pipe work. Other site members have attested to their quality .... so they get my hard earned$$$ I cant wait to get it fitted!!
ICKIS

Postby har05l on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:26 am

ICKIS wrote: and avoid any possible warranty issues :o

Once you modify anything that was fitted standard and you have a relatable issue with said modification mitsi can void your warranty. That said I've never heard of any warranty issues in relation to exhaust mods to date but at least your aware now ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:35 am

If the vehicle in question develops engine management issues such as not controlling boost, it can void warranty and you will be left on your own with a potentially dangerous vehicle that may go into limp when overtaking or pulling big loads up hills etc. (MMAL are very aware of this these days) I'm aware of many from this forum let alone whats out in the wild. :(
Imagine being in the overtaking lane on a freeway and going to limp mode with cars and trucks suddenly whizzing up your left side, then going into limp mode whilst overtaking a b -double and running out of road as another vehicle is up your tail and the crest is approaching. Very dangerous situations. :|

Not just Tritons, Toyota in our region are warning their customers not to fit 3" exhaust as per the risk above although many seem fine from what I've seen.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion