ML Unifilter Element

Anything Triton related

ML Unifilter Element

Postby sam on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Has anyone tried the new unifilter for the ML yet as since I got back from my holiday up north I've found
very fine dust on the wrong side of the filter :?: :cry:

This is the link to their new release page
http://www.uniflow.com.au/index.html?lmd=39654.412488
sam

Re: ML Unifilter Element

Postby Sapient on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:33 am

Sam if you search for Unifilter you will see there is a couple of threads discussing them. I for one have one and have had zero issues.....although I havent checked after the Stockton trip. 8-)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:13 am

Sorry bout that :oops:
Could you check it out and let us know how it went cause I want to do something about
mine asap
sam

Postby Urshtnme on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 am

Hey Sam, I ripped the foam off my standard filter so I'm just running a paper filter at the moment. Seems a little better but nothing huge as yet. I'm still going to be waiting on the K&N filter so once they do one, I'll be getting one of those.
Urshtnme

Postby subi_man on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 am

I've had a Unifilter for a month or so, but it's been relatively wet here so probably too early to tell if it's an efficient filterer of dust - dare say I'll find out soon enough :o

Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:55 pm

OK finally got a sec to check the unifilter after the stockton trip......

On top....all clean, even up close no sign of dust or dirt
Click to view larger picture

Underneath....holy crap look how filthy it is already!!!! Only cleaned it a few weeks ago!

Up close, heaps of sand grains and dirt....

Lots of dust around the side of the filter element to, but none had snuck past into the intake it seems

I simply wiped the pencil tip across the dirty section of the foam to collect this much. It does look like I have oiled the foam a little too heavily tho.

I am pretty happy with the amount of crap that it collected, but also perplexed how much crap it collected in such a short period of time! Anyway, it certainly seems to be effective with the dust/dirt after Stockton
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Urshtnme on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm still pretty hesitant on the Uni filter only because with summer on the way it's going to get bloody dusty around the south west where we like to get off road. I'm still pretty worried that the dust is fine enough to get through a Uni Filter.
Urshtnme

Postby sam on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Ushtnme I have run Finerfilter/Unifilter's for many years on my 4x4's and can tell you that they filter far more efficiently
than paper.
Paper filter's generally filter down to about 8 microns whereas foam IF properly serviced will let bugger all through and are better than the K&N imho for off road use.
The only concern is the maf sensor getting oil contamination but this shouldn't be an issue if the filter isn't over oiled.

After 8000 km with alot of dirt and a NEW paper filter before we left on hols I wasn't impressed to find dust on the intake side of the filter so it has TO GO :shock:
sam

Postby Urshtnme on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:19 am

sam wrote:Ushtnme I have run Finerfilter/Unifilter's for many years on my 4x4's and can tell you that they filter far more efficiently
than paper.
Paper filter's generally filter down to about 8 microns whereas foam IF properly serviced will let bugger all through and are better than the K&N imho for off road use.
The only concern is the maf sensor getting oil contamination but this shouldn't be an issue if the filter isn't over oiled.

After 8000 km with alot of dirt and a NEW paper filter before we left on hols I wasn't impressed to find dust on the intake side of the filter so it has TO GO :shock:

Cheers mate, I'll look into it a little later on.
Urshtnme

Postby Buzzy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Guys FYI

I have been getting around 12.5L/100 of late for some reason.

Just removed my Uni Filter today cleaned/ re-oiled and put it back in. Now getting around 10-10.5L/100 ....... made a huuuugh diff.
Here are some pics of the clean and dirty sides of the filter. There is not a spot of dust in the airbox on the clean side, very happy with it. Just clean it at every service and it should be good ;)
When you clean it there is actually 2 layers of green foam. I removed the first (dirty) layer and the 2nd layer was spotless so the filter is doing its job well.
I ended up removing/cleaning & re-oiling both layers.

I am also suprised to see how much cleaner my filter is than sapients after the stockton run. Difference between snorkel & no snorkel. I did have a little bit of sand sitting in the bottom of my airbox but nothing like yours sapient. Thats also the first time I have looked at mine since installing it 7K ago.

Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Cleaned my filter after 5,000k - like Buzzy I have a snorkel..... but your element is pristine compared to mine mate :o

Nothing on the clean side (apart from a few spots of concentrated oil under the bigger bugs), so it's doing it's job nicely. My Triton sees dirt roads 80% of the time, so I guess I'll be up for regular cleaning.

Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby andyj on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:08 pm

so is there actually a filter for the triton or is it the rodeo one
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby subi_man on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Andy, the Triton part no. is TT220 220S

Cheers
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm

I bought the Unifilter today & its a different part number to the diesel one you have listed Subi.

Is the filter meant to fit inside the filter box?

The picture shown in Buzzy's post doesnt look like the one I bought, so Im wondering whether they have sold me the wrong one?? :| See pics below

This one seems to seal the air box...

This sits inside the air box...

You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby Adz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:54 pm

I just checked the Uni Filter website & the one the bloke sold me is for 1990-2006 models (TT208 208S) :evil: :evil:

Can anyone tell me if the air boxes on the diesels are the same as the V6's? If so, Im just gonna go buy the same one as subi & Buzzy (TT220 220S).
Adz

Postby subi_man on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Adz, sorry for the late reply mate - myself I'm not sure about the V6 vs. DiD airboxes sorry, did you get it sorted?
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Adz on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 am

subi_man wrote:Hi Adz, sorry for the late reply mate - myself I'm not sure about the V6 vs. DiD airboxes sorry, did you get it sorted?

Hey subi...I've ordered the same part for the diesel model but havent heard anything back from the shop so I might call them today (1st day back @ work for a week :lol: )
Adz

Postby Adz on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am

Finally got the filter....fits great, looks great....still yet to see if it changes the fuel consumption dramatically! :D
Adz

Postby subi_man on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am

Good luck adz, I noticed a minor difference in fuel consumption, I wonder if the V6 will be any better
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby trouble on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Just got a unifilter today for $60 plus spare foam for the Cape York trip, FYI went straight to the factory where they are made. ;)
No sign of better fuel consumption as yet however computer says 10L/100ks before filter went in. (ONLY DONE 250KS)
Also got told today that the Triton motor is the same one in the holden/Izuzu colarodeo/rodeo or at least built by them anyone wish to confirm or deny this :shock: :?

Brad
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 pm

I think the Triton shares several components with those brands. Not the motor as far as I'm aware, just the airfilter and probably the rest of the air induction system. Most items, apart from the Chasis and motor, and maybe gearbox will be buyins.
It's all marketing, all the sub suppliers to the brands you all know all sell to whomever they can. Visteon, Velio, Denso, Magnetti Marrelli, etc etc all sell their products to different car manufacturers.
I know for a fact that Porche use Ford parts, but they tend to modify them slightly so a replacement MAF sensor has to be sourced from Porche at 10x the cost.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby trouble on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I am only repeating what the manager of Unifilter factory stated also stated the his Renault was geared by Nissan "dunno"

Cheers
Brad
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Sapient on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 pm

trouble I had a similar convo with the manager at Unifilter when I picked mine up 6 months ago, and assured him that the only shared component between the Triton and the Rodeo is the airbox....seems he didn't want to believe me.
Nice enough guy tho.....
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Adz on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 am

subi_man wrote:Good luck adz, I noticed a minor difference in fuel consumption, I wonder if the V6 will be any better

Hey subi, I've had the filter in for around 700kms now & noticed a slight difference in fuel consumtion but it also seems to have better acceleration for some reason, which in turn will definitely make a difference in the juice it chews through (damn loud pedal :lol: :lol: )
Adz

Postby Notso on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am

The Holden Colorado/Isuzu D Max is an Isuzu motor 3.00 litre CRDID.

The Mitsubishi Motor is 3.2 litres CRDI Diesel Mitsubishi Motor thats been around for years as a DID. The CR was added around 2006 when the Triton and New Paj were released.

The latest Paj has an uprated version with about 147 Killer Wasps and 451 Newtron Metres
Notso

Next

Return to General Discussion