Why buy a Triton?

Anything Triton related

Re: Why buy a Triton?

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:57 pm

When you're driving a piece of butter in a hot fry pan nothing will help, except maybe some razor blade tyres.

Easy and super select are the same once 4h or 4l is selected.

The new traction control trickery of the mn might help keep the unit aligned, but again you can't beat the laws of physics.

I had it once on a track going around a bend with a big drop off and no grip what so ever with the original tyres. Luckily I slipped into some wheel ruts and tram lined around the bend - heart rate returned to normal. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scumbag on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:12 pm

srb wrote:
scumbag wrote:i wouldnt buy another one.

carbon problems, pretty well known.
cylinder head failure caused by a cracked camshaft cap ( think the only poor bastard still left a bad taste in my mouth)
noisy engine
poor low end power
terrible paint.

Fair enough you've been burnt, but it's not fair to paint that picture for all Tritons.

The fact is though its still the best value ute going around and on average it's one of the most reliable and capable.

I hope your luck gets better.

dont get me wrong i dont hate the car, i agree good value for money.
if i had my time again i think i would have brought a toyota...
still does everything i ask of it which is alot.
use it everyday as a work car and tows the bikes/boat on the weekend or take the missus away no problem at all.
scumbag

Postby Crash486 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Not all the models covered but representative sample for running costs and total cost over 5 years...
http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/cars/owning-and-maintaining-a-car/car-running-costs

click the running cost pdf button
Crash486

Postby willotriton on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I'm with you on dealer servicing Biggibbo. Probably why mine has been good, I avoid the local stealer like the plague. They have form... :x

You lads doin something like 7,500k oil/fuel filter change? What else?

Cheers,

Willo
willotriton

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:11 am

Crash486 wrote:Not all the models covered but representative sample for running costs and total cost over 5 years...
http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/cars/owning-and-maintaining-a-car/car-running-costs

I looked at that. The Navara D40 was interesting :shock: .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:36 am

Doesn't matter what vehicle you buy, always a chance of a lemon or a perfect unit or something in between.

Reading some of the issues over the last few years you have to wonder if some are capable of actually driving a 4x4 properly.

All the people I know directly are very happy with their units.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Geoff3DMN on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:58 am

I've had a good look at the new Triton because I'm thinking about updating and I reckon some people are ignoring the price of the new version versus it's competition.

I was quoted thousands of dollars more for the Ranger, the BT50 and the Hilux compared to the new Triton and the only 4x4 dual cab (base model) utes that were price competitive were the Colarado and the Isuzu.

The Ranger, is it really $4000 better when it comes with a smaller less powerful motor (2.2 vs 2.4) and if I want the 3.2 then it's several thousand dollars on top of that!

I'm not quite ready to update yet but when I do I'll be looking for a couple of new 4x4 dual cab work utes and I'm thinking the new Triton will be right in the mix and the Ranger/BT-50/Hilux will still be outside our budget.

The price of the new Triton seems about right to me.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:00 am

I was 'amused' to see the latest Ford car sales advert on the 'idiot-box' last night where the dude is stuck on the side of the road leaning on his 'broken' Ford whilst he's waiting for the 'repair-man' to turn up to rescue him, and at the same time he's also espousing how 'good it was' that Ford "servicing" now includes a few years of 'free' RAC breakdown membership.... ;)
From this, I can only deduce that -nothing-at-all- has changed, with regards to the 'quality' and 'reliability' of Ford's vehicle "servicing" since the tailshaft dropped completely off, my XLE-Cortina back in 1973, just 6 miles -after- I had picked it up from them completing, Ford's 'compulsory' 1000 mile "SAFETY-INSPECTION" on it .... :!: :o
In other words, "Geoff3DMN" if you're thinking of buying a Ford Ranger, don't knock them back on the "offer" of the "free" RAC membership, as a part of the deal, because you're most likely going to 'need' it, especially -after- you've been anywhere near their "service" departments .... :lol: :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Geoff3DMN on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:20 pm

AnOldFart wrote:my XLE-Cortina back in 1973

XLE! looooxury!!

When I was younger I would have swapped my 161 cubic inch HT Holden with 3 on the tree and bench seats for a Cortina XLE with a 250 6 cylinder, 4 on the floor and bucket seats in a heart beat (even with the sloppy front end and tail shafts that fell off) :lol:

Oh for those unfamiliar with the vehicle mentioned he're a fine example of state of the art 70's advertising :twisted:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/movies/Cortina_TC.files/Cortina_TC.mp4
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:46 pm

The idea of 'fuel saving technology' by reducing lubricating oil pump output by controlling the pump via the ecu turns me off the BT 50 and Ranger. It may be ok but it isn't for me. Don't drain the all the oil out when doing an oil change either. The pump won't pick up the oil in the sump resulting in engine failure. There are service bulletins about it. :|
Pass on that one!

Hopefully the new Triton hasn't adopted the same idea.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Longranger1 wrote:The idea of 'fuel saving technology' by reducing lubricating oil pump output by controlling the pump via the ecu turns me off the BT 50 and Ranger. It may be ok but it isn't for me. Don't drain the all the oil out when doing an oil change either. The pump won't pick up the oil in the sump resulting in engine failure. There are service bulletins about it. :|
Pass on that one!

Hopefully the new Triton hasn't adopted the same idea.

Really? They are starting to get too anal about fuel econ aren't they...

I thought the stop / start function some manufacturers were doing was bad enough (IE: Starter motor killer :lol: ), but the ECU controlling the oil pump output has got to be right up there with WTF technology surely... :?
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby destorman on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:35 pm

biggibbo wrote: ... but the way Mitsubishi have discounted over the last few years, has had a huge knock on effect to second hand and trade in prices, to the point where your 2010 MN triton is worth a lot less than the equivalent competitor at the time and the gap of depreciation has widened.

Yeah, I'm not so sure.

We traded a 2010 MN GLX (Manual, Diesel, Nudgebar, Side Steps, Soft Torneau, Towbar, Tinted Windows and Elec Rust) with 130,000 kms in on a 2015 MN GLX+ Triton (Manual, Diesel, Nudgebar, Side Steps, Wheel Arch Flares, Soft Torneau, Towbar, Tinted Windows and Elec Rust) for a change over of $15,000.

So basically $3,000 per year (2010 was purchased 29 June 2010 and the 2015 was purchased May 2015).

That's pretty good "depreciation" in real terms over that time period. I doubt any other vehicle would have those sort of "real" numbers.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby destorman on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Longranger1 wrote:
Crash486 wrote:Not all the models covered but representative sample for running costs and total cost over 5 years...

I looked at that. The Navara D40 was interesting :shock: .

The whole lot, is, ah ... "interesting"

Tyres, new set every 45,000kms?

All calc's based on vehicle usage of 15,000km per annum

And the best one, GLX Triton, 'on road' at $42K or thereabouts, which is then used to calculate the 'depreciation' and 'interest' on finance ... Hahaaaaa... $42k for a GLX, like really WTF?

Try $27k 'driveaway' ... that'll change the numbers somewhat ??
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:28 pm

I reckon they used the mq model given the engine size was 2.4.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Stoneman on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Geoff3DMN wrote:
AnOldFart wrote:my XLE-Cortina back in 1973

XLE! looooxury!!

When I was younger I would have swapped my 161 cubic inch HT Holden with 3 on the tree and bench seats for a Cortina XLE with a 250 6 cylinder, 4 on the floor and bucket seats in a heart beat (even with the sloppy front end and tail shafts that fell off) :lol:

Oh for those unfamiliar with the vehicle mentioned he're a fine example of state of the art 70's advertising :twisted:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/movies/Cortina_TC.files/Cortina_TC.mp4

Put a XF motor in it and it was a bullet!

Loved my old TE cortina Gia, 4 on the floor with LSD and globe mags......they where the days.

My son and I are thinking of doing another for his P's
Stoneman

Postby Crash486 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:15 pm

We had the XLE in Tango with a cream vinyl roof. Old man always wanted another gear in it but then he used to race sidecars at Bathurst! Sorry, back on track... Triton has represented value for $ ( IMHO ).
Crash486

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Crash486 wrote:We had the XLE in Tango with a cream vinyl roof. Old man always wanted another gear in it but then he used to race sidecars at Bathurst! Sorry, back on track... Triton has represented value for $ ( IMHO ).

My own XLE was Teal Blue with Beige vinyl roof. Agree with your Dad about a 5th gear in the box would have made it even better as the 'perfect' long distance driving, high speed traveler, which I was doing a whole lot of with my job back then ... ;) Thank GOD that police radars were very few and far between back then, is all that I'm prepared to say on that subject .... ;) :D It was a beautiful car to drive but, the overall ownership experience was ruined by sh*t Ford quality / finish eg, a full A4 page of build defects in the first month of ownership including boot leaking water (badly) dashboard not even attached to the bodywork on passenger side, rear-view mirror that fell off etc, etc, etc, and their totally -abysmal- Ford service.
Anyway, back onto this Thread's topic, I have to agree, I reckon the Triton represents the best value for money ie, (bang for bucks) Ute available on the local OZ market today .... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:36 pm

I see Nissan are copying the triton rear window...
A nice touch which those who drives utes a lot will appreciate is the power-sliding panel in the rear glass (RS, ST and ST-X models). As well as providing access from the cabin to the tub, this feature also certainly improves cabin ventilation.
Crash486

Postby irishshoppy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Tell you the truth dont buy a triton.
irishshoppy

Postby Naff on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Bad experience hey shoppy?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:36 pm

I'd buy again, the MN has served us very well and not had an easy life.

No idea what some of you do to them. :?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Tony wrote:I'd buy again, the MN has served us very well and not had an easy life.

No idea what some of you do to them. :?

x2
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm

X3 They're tough little utes, can't kill mine either.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:26 pm

About time the good ones come forward. 8-)

I can attest SRB's is still a bloody good rig after spending a lot of last weekend driving it. 8-) I can't believe how good it drives after the remote trips and hell it has been through. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shortSteve on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Mine is getting better with age....bloody good truck, glad I decided to put off the trade-up for another year :-)
shortSteve

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion