Air Compressor

Anything Triton related

Re: TIME FOR A COMPRESSOR

Postby Stu on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Just looking through some old threads and I saw the date that I posted about getting my compressor almost 12 months ago, same as that one above which if I'm not mistaken are the same as the projecta typhoon and strangley similar to one of the bushranger compressors. Mine has had a fair workout sometimes pumping up 3 vehicles in a row (265x75x16) without missing a beat. The only time it seems to struggle is on 35" tyres but without comparing it to a brand name compressor I'd assume that most would work hard pumping up 35" tyres can be mounted although finding room for it would be a struggle or left in the case in the back
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby FreestyleCab on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm

We have a few at work...bushranger, ARB and T-Max. All are ok.
A few months ago ALDI had a compressor for sale and I thought I would grab one and compare it to the others we had.
It looks almost identical to the Bushranger one and nearly performs the same as it. The Aldi compressor took about 2 minutes longer to inflate four 32inch tyres from 20psi to 34psi. It was neck and neck till tyre number three when they both started to get extremely hot....while they both slowed down, the Aldi compressors performance dropped off the most in the last 2 tyres.

Pretty good value for $99.....I keep it in my car all the time.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby daryn on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:32 pm

I am always hanging each week for the Aldi surprises, missed that one though.

I have the TJM model, seems to go well, nothing to compare it to though, except for the hand pump.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 am

anyone had anything to do with the twin tongue ??
bit pricy but sounds like the goods
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby andyj on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Racer wrote:

How do you find that one Andy?

I am also in the market for one.....

I haven't had a problem with it it got warm on the 3rd tyre but no real issues it was as fast as the leaking pipe that the servo had, just left it out of the case until i got home
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Avenger4x4 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 pm

There is a monster compressor comparo in the coming 4wd action mag #131, will be well worth a look mate ;)
Avenger 4x4 Accessories
Avenger4x4

Postby Dylan 191 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

cheerz mate will have to get it to help me out
thanks for the info guys great help :D
Dylan 191

Postby AC on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:46 pm

Go the ARB ... i have one mounted under bonnet ... very happy with its performance ... very quick and easy ... if ya want some pics let me know 8-)
AC

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 pm

got a bushranger super max today and looks like a good unit
played in the driveway for a bit but didnt time it
16 - 36 in less than a minute with the engine running
thats works for me ( stock tyres but hopefully not for long )
one thing i do wana change is put a plug on the power line to change from
battery clamps to 12v socket plug so dont have to keep lifting the bonnet
im not mounting it in the car it is portable

has anyone put 12v sockets in the tub ???
Dylan 191

Postby Greedy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:35 am

Quite a number on here have put power into the tub. I for one haven't but that is only a temporary thing. :oops: If you're aiming at keeping the compressor mobile, I'd seriously look at Anderson plugs for connection. Also, given the tub is a long way from the battery, use a decent size cable to avoid voltage drop. Something around 12mm^2 otherwise known as 6 Ga or 6 B&S. Hope this helps
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 am

hey greedy what are anderson plugs ?
thanks for the advice mate
Dylan 191

Postby King Triton on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 am

Dylan 191

I think you will find that most Air compressors have Battery Clamps because the compressors draw a fair amount of Power/Amps and your standard 0.5mm2 cable that goes to most cigarette sockets in cars would not be able to cope with the amount of power drawn through the cable and could easily melt the insulation.
You will also find that most air compressor need the engine running when operating to get the amount of power to them they need to run, if using a standard/factory cigarette socket it will probably not run as well as it should.

I am not trying to tell you not to use a plug but if you do run a socket to the rear cab but make sure you use decent cable like greedy mentioned as well as a decent plug (Anderson) a standard 12v cigarette plug has been know to melt under heavy loads.

You may want to upgrade the cable to the front cigarette socket as well if you plan on using it.

The only down fall you will have putting a Anderson plug or a cigarette plug on the compressor is that you may not be able to use it on anybodies elses car (which could be a good thing) the best thing about battery clips as that every car has a battery.

Just my 2 cents worth.
King Triton

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 am

hey king i have a dedicated 12v socket in the car near handbrake was guna use that
and was guna put a connectiing plug on the power lead of the compressor so can switch from battery clamps to 12v plug easily ( hope that makes sence, it does in my head hahah)
thanks for the info hopefully i will learn my way round things with help from u guys :D
Dylan 191

Postby King Triton on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:01 am

No Probs mate understand what your going to do. just be cautious as the cable going to that particular 12v socket is very thin and you may burn it out.
King Triton

Postby Greedy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 am

I totally agree with King here. Avoid cigarette lighter sockets at all costs. Air compressors draw a lot of power and lighter sockets are 10 amp at best and usually poorly wired. Click here to see what an Anderson plug is. If you need to run on another car that doesn't have Anderson plug access, just make up a short lead using your battery clamps on one end and an Anderson plug on the other.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 am

oh i thought the 12v socket in the car would have been stronger than that , cheerz greedy
hey that a great idea about how to switch from anderson plug to batt clamps
thanks heaps fellas
Dylan 191

Postby Blue on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 am

I have one of the ebay cheapies(Projecta look a like), 3yrs now and still going strong... It took my 265/65R16's up to 40psi from 22 yesterday in a few minutes... If mine died tomorrow, I'd definitely grab another one...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MR T on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Go the ARB they are small, pump a 35 in 3min and waterproof so you can stick it in the engine bay and if you get a portable one it comes with a case and this is cool if the lid accedently shuts while your using it , it cuts out 8-)
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby King Triton on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:23 pm

MR T

The ARB Compressor is not totally waterproof they are more water resistant . I know this as my firend has one in the latest model Troopy with it mounted under the seat and he sunk it first time he took it 4wding, 200 mm of water through the whole car.
Got back to camp drained the water and tried to use the compressor and it kept on blowing fuses. Pulled it out and it had Water in it and it was shorting out.
I will say this for the ARB compressor, his car was stuck down to the chassis in river sand and it took a good hour or more to get him out, so it did pretty well only to get a little bit inside.
I do believe that the reason it got water in it was because he tried to activate his lockers while stuck in the water so the compressor sucked in water.
if mouting any compressor in the cab under the seat i would reccomend you extend the air intake with a hose up in to the dash or as high as you can because if you get stuck in a mud hole or water crossing and need that extra traction and try to use your airlockers it ain't going to work if the air intake for the compressor is under water.
King Triton

Postby MR T on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:00 pm

ok thats interesting ,the things they tell you hey :x
i originally decided on getting the ARB one because 4wd monthly (way back when) had a dvd about it and they said they had one running in a fishtank for a couple of months i think.
I wonder if they had some sort of breather to keep it runing :?:
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby Choady on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:42 pm

dont use the 12V fatory outlets in the car to run a compressor !!

Even the car manual states not to use anyting more than 130W otherwise risk of fire/damage etc. The latest 4WD monthy compressor compar shows all the current draws both with and without load. at those amperages you will blow many fuses and/or risk fire damage to wiring.

Any damage will not be covered under 5yr factory warranty either - as it states the limits of of the 12V outlets in the user manual.
Choady

Postby boostedbmw on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Here is where i installed my ARB compressor. No holes drilled, just used existing bolts and nutserts.
Click to view larger picture
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:02 pm

It even matches your paint job, well done! I got my bonnet struts in the mail... hopefully they fit as well as yours.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby MR T on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:12 pm

where can i get some bonnet struts do they just bolt on and how much
i didnt even know you could get them for the triton
MR T

Postby Greedy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Ebay has them usually.

Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion