Replace single din stereo with DVD/Screen, anyone done ?

Replace single din stereo with DVD/Screen, anyone done ?

Postby daryn on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:35 pm

HI,

My triton glx-r is ordered and I was looking at replacing the single din stereo with a unit which has the pop out 6/7" dvd screen, because the stereo in its current position is recessed back a bit I am unsure if this is going to work. That is when the screen slides out does it hit the above area of the dash which protrudes out ?

I don't want to touch the top dble din area at all.

So has anyone done this and if so what brand and model did you use, a rear camera will be setup to run from it as well.

Thanks

Daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Replace single din stereo with DVD/Screen, anyone done ?

Postby brenze87 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:03 pm

hey mate
i fitted a 7" dvd player http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=110288470591. fitted no worries, the only thing i had to do was use spacer's about 3mm so the screen could come out.
brenze87

Postby daryn on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks Brenze, that is certainly a different solution to the likes of Kenwood and Pioneer etc.

Still hoping for some other suggestions, Iam sure brenze's is not the only one.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Just an update for others to reference.

Installed a Kenwood KVT532DVD, I found this the best unit as it also has adjustment for how far the screen slides out so that it does not hit the dash and circulation lever when opening and closing, in other words no need for spacers.

Also just purchased today 2 x Zylux Headrest screens for $700 all up including cables from JB Hifi, normally $1000 retail for 2, the first guy offered a $200 discount, I went back 3 hours later, he had gone home and the 2nd guy beat that guy by another $100, I was initially only going to get 1 screen, but then could not resist and got 2. The only problem now is getting someone else to drive so I can relax in the back.

daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Storm Trooper on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:42 pm

photos of the screens and dvd setup please :)

cheers Storm Trooper
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:25 am

no probs will do
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:10 pm

pics 1 to 3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 pm

pics 4 to 5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Nice 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Eelesy on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Nicely done Daryn
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Looks awesome... what's the white thing above the interior mirror?
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Nice work Daryn really like those rear screens, did you fit them yourself or did JB HIFI ? or is that what you get a whole head rest and you just change them over!!.....
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Thanks guys,

link for the headrest/screens is here http://www.zylux.com.au/Zylux-AudioVisual.html they are a complete unit with av-ins/remote control/ inbuilt speakers and volume control etc, pretty well featured, I am just trying to work out if I can dual zone with video ie. ipod in the front and dvd in the rear, I can with audio but just cant get the video to get there yet in dual zone mode.

I have installed everything myself.

The white thing above the mirror is the e-tag when I am in Sydney.

Next to come are ATZ tyres and my own special suspension package.

Thanks

daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Choady on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Daryn - that really looks the goods and I like it ! Sure beats the occy strap between two headrests with a 9 inch portable DVD player hanging from it playing for the kiddies :D Having said that - it does work quite well ! Im going to buy the dude that invented car dvds a slab ! and the dude that invented te bikini - and the due that invented g-strings :D :D ;)

Where do you run the wiring up to the displays in the back seats ?
Choady

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:30 am

Thanks choady, luckily our seats have 2 zips which means that the cable which runs through to the headrest through one of those bars is really easy to get to, other seats you would have to punch a whole in the seat I would presume. Once the cable is out of the seat I have just just run everything to under the passenger seat in the interim an then under the centre console plastic to the head unit.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Storm Trooper on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:45 am

hey Daryn i just noticed in one of the photos, do you have car seat covers on the front seats, are they leather or wetsuit type material seat covers? and do they have a back seat to match? brand and cost? cheers :D
Storm Trooper

Postby Greedy on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:34 am

Nice work with the rear screens Daryn. I did the same just before Christmas ready for a 7 hour trip. Made it a lot more enjoyable with the young ones in the car. Luckily, I thought ahead when putting the car pc in and already had power available under the passenger seat. Just needed to put a fuse in the slot. ;) 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 am

Storm Trooper wrote:hey Daryn i just noticed in one of the photos, do you have car seat covers on the front seats, are they leather or wetsuit type material seat covers? and do they have a back seat to match? brand and cost? cheers :D

Hijack:
Hey stormy, just butting in, but they look like wet suit ones. I have the factory ones - front and back and Choady put me on to http://www.thewetseat.com/ and these look identical to the factory ones I have, but they area bit cheaper - price wise. I think they may be the factory supplier? Don't know if they have rear seat because didn't check out the site in depth, but factory cost around $320 for rear and the centre arm rest is inoperable with it installed - everything else - tilt,seat belts etc are fine.

end Hijack
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Choady on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:33 pm

I sent wetseat.com an email regarding the rear seat - they said they would make one for $370. One of the other lads on the forum got front and back done by them for $600 sometime towards the end of last year. Im sure if I sent them an email they would do one for $320 - to match. then front and rear would match and total cost would be $320 rear + $140 front = $460.00

Mitsu ones are $280 for front and $320 for rear. Sorry for hijack.
Choady

Postby daryn on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Mine are the factory Triton neoprene(wetsuit) covers, I have been hanging for rear but because of the armrest like the other posts state Mitsu don't make them, I am going to check out the link which was posted but.

I got my front for $250, I shopped around the dealers in Newcastle and they all gave me different prices.

Storm Trooper wrote:hey Daryn i just noticed in one of the photos, do you have car seat covers on the front seats, are they leather or wetsuit type material seat covers? and do they have a back seat to match? brand and cost? cheers :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Storm Trooper on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi Daryn sorry about the hijack of your thread, as it went from your Screens to car seat covers.... and as usual everyone is help to answer any questions ;)

anyways thanks for the good advise guys... i have two rug rats and yeah i current have a beach towel to protect the rear seat which i like to upgrade... and have original snap on (old logo) throw overs on the front.
Storm Trooper

Postby Barbiearg on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:36 am

Hello!
Im Barbara from argentina..
can somebody please help me???...
I was trying to install today a head unit on my triton and ..i belive i did something wrong ,...as after i tried to do it..the middle dislpay is TOTALLY OFF and neither my new unit or even my original unit..are working any more..
when i tunt the car on..there is a strange "lightning " on the gauge..then car starts ok..butneither the middle computer dispay is working OR my original stereo..-
I did not cut any wires when i tested my new unit...I only cut a little of the plastic on the wired..and attanched the new unit..as I did not want to cut the wires Just incase..
but OBVIOUSLY I DID SOMETHING WRONG
can anyboday help me here=???

thanks a lot Barbie!!!
Barbiearg

Postby Buzzy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:02 am

Hi Barbiearg,
Welcome to the site
Could you start a new thread in the Electrical section here just so that we dont get off topic again in this thread
Im sure the electricaly minded guys will help you out, not a problem.

Cheers Buzzy
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Barbiearg on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks a lot!
Ill do it now!
regards

Barbara from argentina!
Barbiearg

Postby trouble on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Has anyone installed a single din DVD/pop out screen on a manual?
Does it get in the way of the gear shift?

Ta
Rochelle
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Next

Return to Electrical