ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Re: ChipIt & EcuTek Discussion

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 pm

I agree with your post.

Second tier control will never be superior to having the ECU perform the management directly. You have far greater tuning latitude by reprogramming the the ECU. Sure, you can emulate with interception devices and get a reasonable result, but the entire mapping (including injection timing) is far slicker with reprogramming.

To get to that level of control via interception is possible but gets messy - fast. Not to mention expensive.

As you say, it is a no-brainer.

Great to have the choice though.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Runnng a Chipit on my own custom tune at 22 PSI boost for over 4 years now. All original injectors and fuel pump etc. Running like a dream. Just had my 90,000km service. Fishtails gutter to gutter :P
GLX-R Alex

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Ecutek is not without its problems though. You can't switch it off (as you might want to do if someone else is driving your vehicle) and it can be accidentally overwritten by dealers looking to update the ecu to the latest reflash. Also not all tuners are created equally (obviously) and not everyone will achieve the same bang for buck. There have been examples of this where tuners have actually dialled back boost levels to avoid turbo over-runs, which sounds like a less than perfect outcome.

Each approach has its own pros and cons and it is well worth researching carefully before taking the plunge.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby lgd on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:13 pm

For those members in Southern Tas that want ECUtek tune , Autocraft in Collins street are now doing them.
They re-tuned mine after dealer reflashed .
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby Evolution on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Hey guys just a head ups for anyone in or around Newcastle, Ben Perry from Benchmark Evolution Solutions has started tuning at Streamline Automotive Beresfield and has recently tuned a few Navaras as well as my ML Triton. Ute made 121KW and 395Nm up from 95KW and 290Nm with just a 3'' Scotts Rods exhaust and boost up to 20 psi . Couldn't be happier with the result ute drives so much better than i expected it would, i have personally known Ben for 4 years and worked with him tuning my Evo, his customer service is second to none has always answered all my questions and fixed any issues no matter what time of day it is. Happy to provide dyno graphs or any info if anyone wants it. Feel free to call the guys at streamline on 02 4966 8859 and ask for Ben.
Evolution

Postby lgd on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 pm

I was charged $180 to cover re-install with latest 'tunes'
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby AD07 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Evolution wrote:Hey guys just a head ups for anyone in or around Newcastle, Ben Perry from Benchmark Evolution Solutions has started tuning at Streamline Automotive Beresfield and has recently tuned a few Navaras as well as my ML Triton. Ute made 121KW and 395Nm up from 95KW and 290Nm with just a 3'' Scotts Rods exhaust and boost up to 20 psi . Couldn't be happier with the result ute drives so much better than i expected it would, i have personally known Ben for 4 years and worked with him tuning my Evo, his customer service is second to none has always answered all my questions and fixed any issues no matter what time of day it is. Happy to provide dyno graphs or any info if anyone wants it. Feel free to call the guys at streamline on 02 4966 8859 and ask for Ben.

Sounds good to have someone in the Newcastle area . :D
What does he charge for a dyno tune?
AD07

Postby Evolution on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:04 pm

[/quote]Sounds good to have someone in the Newcastle area . :D
What does he charge for a dyno tune?[/quote]

Full custom tune is around $1500 from memory not sure on the exact price as they did some other work for me as well
Evolution

Postby SLIMaxPower on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Anyone with a custom chip-it tune wanna share ?
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:19 am

I've got the old 219 Chipit (rail chip) with a custom tune. Nothing fancy, just a good reliable and safe touring tune that is aimed at making more torque at lower rpms. For the last 18months I've had it setup with a stand alone boost, in cab bleed and dawes valve, but only recently I've had Tony from (SPVI) trialling a new stand alone boost setup, I can't go into details yet, but so far its absolutely incredible.

I've never experienced Ecutek, so I know I shouldn't really comment... but I'm fairly sure Ecutek tuners wouldn't be able to setup the 'stand alone' system that I'm running, and to the same boost levels. If I was a betting man... I'd bet on my setup any day of the week.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 am

we are all drooling on the waitlist for Tony's toys
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tryton08 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi everyone just needing a little help I've been running a 215 chip it chip for a few years now on tune 5 and the other day a work colleague told me my car was bellowing smoke out on the way home from work. This isn't the first time I've been told this. I have now gone down to tune 3 still running 19 psi boost. What I'm thinking of doing is getting it tuned properly with the chip but have no idea who in Victoria I could take it to. It seems to be running ok but maybe could be a lot better. I had a small quantity relearn done a couple of weeks back and only put the chip back on last week. Heaps better take off with the chip installed. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Tryton08

Postby GLRkenny on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:29 pm

Make sure the maf sensor is clean and the pins are getting good contact, easiest and cheapest thing to try first and it fixed my wife's mn which was quite smoky
GLRkenny

Postby Tryton08 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:37 pm

GLRkenny wrote:Make sure the maf sensor is clean and the pins are getting good contact, easiest and cheapest thing to try first and it fixed my wife's mn which was quite smoky

So I gather you referring to make sure the tube is clear to the maf sensor. Which pins you referring to
Tryton08

Postby mattz on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Start with what Kenny said^^^^^^
Also check all the chip connections are good and all the fuel lines are not leaking or sucking air. It's worth putting in a new fuel filter too.

If you don't fix it doing those things start looking at things like carbon build up and SCV.
I doubt it's the chip itself but not out of the question. More than likely the chip will be amplifying the problem.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Tryton08 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi matts you would be spot on with that it amplifies the problem motor is heaps quieter without the chip still uses same amount of fuel but lacks power. Will check all the plugs hopefully tomorrow after work.
Tryton08

Postby GLRkenny on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:49 pm

The maf sensor is the one in the top of the air filter box, take it out (2 screws) and give it a good spray with crc mass airflow sensor cleaner, when you're re assembling, with the wiring unplugged you'll see 5 terminals inside the sensor where the wiring plugs in, with a small screwdriver or similar slightly bend those pins up, doesn't take much of a bend to ensure better contact
GLRkenny

Postby Tryton08 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Yeh sorry got confused with the MAP sensor my bad. I have the sensor spray will give it all a going over and see if any changes.
Tryton08

Postby Tryton08 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Here is the latest update.
After getting home from work I removed the maf sensor and cleaned it. Checked all connections to the chip and map sensor still no difference not quite running smooth seems to be hunting at idle not really noticeable with chip removed. Changed to several different tunes all the way to tune 1 still the same.
Looks like next is to change fuel filter slowly running out of ideas.
Going to try another chip out of a friends car to rule out the chip.
Tryton08

Postby Stoneman on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Suction control valve?
Stoneman

Postby Tryton08 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Stoneman wrote:Suction control valve?

Thanks Stoneman but I took that out last service and gave the spool a little rub moved freely and reinstalled it.
Tryton08

Postby cantdrive on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:39 am

Tryton08 wrote:Going to try another chip out of a friends car to rule out the chip.

could it be a plug connection or loose wiring in the chip?
cantdrive

Postby coughy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:18 pm

do you have a scan gauge?? i do and the fuel pressure at idle when cold is 5500 to 6000
but when motor is hot it sits around 4450 to 4600
but before new scv it was all over the place
high and lower
im leaning towards the scv
how many ks on the clock??
im had 48k on the clock and had similar to you i cleaned the spool and polished it but it was still there come and go
was worse when cold
so i bought a scv and did a sql and wola problem fixed
new scv is the answer im telling you
a chip will make it worse than it is and make it happen more
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tryton08 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks for the replies it has close to 220,000 on the clock now doesn't use any oil never had injectors done only job other than services is is the intake manifold has been cleaned. Since that time the egr has been blocked and also put Tony's mod on, ball bearing fitted to stop butterflies working in the manifold,chip and catch can.
I don't have a scan gauge but might have to invest in one.
Still haven't had a chance to try another chip yet.
A lot of times it sounds louder in the morning when cold. The hunting at idle seems to be intermittent its always there but varies in how noticeable it is.
Will look at maybe changing the SCV with a new one. I'm very happy with the car it's never let me down at all and kept up with some fairly tuff patrols out on the tracks they are often very surprised on how it performs.
Tryton08

Postby shaman42au on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Got the car back from the 90k service and $2k poorer. Reported "poor" fuel consumption to dealer, I don't ever get below 11l/100km in city. Service included a clean of exhaust manifold. Car feels better!

I have filled car up and will calculate fuel consumption the "old" way and ignore my onboard computer for now.

Then I will reinstall Tonys EGR mod, and then put the Black One in as well.

Then will fill it up and calculate fuel consumption again.

Is it a pipe dream to want 10l/100 around town?
shaman42au

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical