How many k's before chipping?

Postby rushN on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:03 am

Have put 1,000kms on the GLXR after picking up last Wed. Just wanting to know how many k's should I do before I look to add a performance chip? I was initially thinking 5,000kms, but am open to opinions from the experts :)

Cheers
rushN

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:43 am

Im doing mine at 4300 not sure if its a good idea or not?? I also have a slight rubbing sound when i reverse slowly and also in forwards! Not sure its its the breaks or something, but i can feel it through the steering wheel!
ML-VR08

Postby Stu-k on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:13 am

You could put it on from new makes no difference. Your going to be taking it easy for the first few thousands ks anyway.
Its only when the motor is making more than standard power its under more stress but in saying that the motor could handle heaps more power than a chip will give.

Go for it!
Stu-k

Postby Buzzy on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 am

Shit, I agree with stu-k 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Dave on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:08 am

Mine was fitted from new and I didn't take it easy running it in, either.

Although mines only a 2.5.
(but it's got more power than a 3.2 8-) )
Dave
Site Admin

Postby rushN on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:16 am

I emailed DPChip today, and they advised that their chip can be fitted from new (and said that they had done this numerous times). I'll wait until I get back from my trip this long weekend (should have around 2,500kms all-up then) and place the order I think 8-)

HOWEVER...I drove in the rain for the first time today, and in 1st and 2nd under moderate power, the Triton easily spins it's rear wheels :o . Must admit I was surprised. Exiting a round-about in 2nd, I was lucky to catch it :o

I want more power, for overtaking particularly, but am nervious about what a chip will do to handling in the wet now.

EDIT: I should add that my previous two cars were a WRX and a Liberty GT, both AWD. Perhaps I need to change my driving style :oops:
rushN

Postby Stu on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 am

some of you blokes with chips must be bloody lead foots, I deliberatley tried to spin the wheels the other day around a corner and did it with ease but it was strange doing a burnout with muddys on and not something that I will be trying to do again. I never really rev my motor past 2500 rpm on road unless I'm overtaking
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Wallace on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 am

Rushn, I fitted my DP early on in the piece and had no problems at all. Although I would suggest you remove it before having it serviced at the stealers. Factory setting is on 5, experimented a little and found it sh#t loads better on setting 7, then opened up the exhaust and am now running on setting 5 again. Would pull the navara and the fake rock from here to timbuckto....... I tow a heavy aluminium plate boat and don't even realise its there.........for want of a better term!8-)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby subi_man on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:12 am

RushN once you've worn those stock tyres out get something that isn't so woeful in the wet!!

Hang on a sec, you have RAIN?!!!!!!! I had a day trip to Condo today and saw some nice showers but came home to dusty roads :(
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Wallace on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 am

Don't worry about wearing them out replace the slippery treads now and feel the full benefit of the increased torque with comfort.........
Keep Smilin'8-)
Support Beyondblue
Wallace

Postby rushN on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:45 am

Ok, this changes my thinking somewhat. What is suggested as replacement tyres then, given I'll spend 95% of the time on the blacktop, and only very mild off-roading when off?

I assumed the Duelers were ok treads until this afternoon in the wet.

Yes Subi - it IS raining !

EDIT (again): I'm going to order the DPChip tomorrow 8-)
rushN

Postby Wallace on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am

Hope you are going straight to Berrima Diesel. It is a simple method of plug and play . The unit comes with instructions regarding fitment. As far a tyres are concerned I am running BFG AT and mostly on the black stuff as yourself, but you pays the money and you takes the choice.....
Keep Smilin'
Support Beyondblue
Wallace

Postby Austblue on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:16 pm

Guys are you confusing the DP with the CR plus? I thought that the DPchip was still getting fixed I remember Joshinthecity put one on and found no benefit under 3krpm???

Plus isn't it twice the price of the CR?

rushN you should look at some A/T tyres mate. I can't really recomend any tyre since I never shopped for them but I can recommend you ring fourbys up in QLD they're a great help and can often price well enough to beat local competitors even after you've paid shipping.
Austblue

Postby rambo7 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:26 am

rambo7

Postby cattenglxr on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 am

how much are these chips anyone from melbourne bought one and where from?
cattenglxr

Postby TRIGLXR on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 am

yes, me, i sell them also $650 posted, i am in Bendigo
TRIGLXR

Return to Electrical