Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:40 pm

One thing I know is on a ml its a p.i.t.a to get that bolt/nut in closest to the fire wall...
bolt 1 and knuckles 0
viking shippy

Re: Closing the EGR Valve

Postby furious on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 pm

is fault code TCs=0 P1901 the ERG code?

I was trying to fit the TJM battery tray this afternoon and gave up as I could not get the bolts on wires to work for me. When I went the move the car back into the car hole the engine light came on and the ultragauge said it was the above fault code.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 pm

furious wrote:is fault code TCs=0 P1901 the ERG code?

I was trying to fit the TJM battery tray this afternoon and gave up as I could not get the bolts on wires to work for me. When I went the move the car back into the car hole the engine light came on and the ultragauge said it was the above fault code.

P0191 is the closest I can find to that - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit Range/Performance :?
sierra

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 pm

What this thread REALLY needs is a summary. Probally on page one.

Its far to long to read ALL of this and no-one will!

Noobs will just keep asking the same questions over and over and the thread will get longer and longer :roll:

What do you reckon lads? Can it be done?
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Belbrook on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm

have you just nominated yourself Matt
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby viking shippy on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Oh how I've studied this thread great of you to volunteer to do a summary Matt
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:57 pm

P1901 is a canbus code. I sometimes get mine from the bluetooth OBD plug thing. Might have been caused by removing the battery and/or playing with the ultragauge. They usually go away after a couple of days for me. You can clear it as often as you want but it keeps coming back until it has started a few times without the error state being detected again.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 pm

62 pages!! No way!! I'm sure there's people who know the subject better than me and really wouldn't need to read the 62 pages to get the info. I think Longranger and Tony are the authorities on this subject.

See what I did there ;) :lol:
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Wimped out?

How about you do a first draft and then we'll fix it up for you?

Cowboy Dave

Postby furious on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:P1901 is a canbus code. I sometimes get mine from the bluetooth OBD plug thing. Might have been caused by removing the battery and/or playing with the ultragauge. They usually go away after a couple of days for me. You can clear it as often as you want but it keeps coming back until it has started a few times without the error state being detected again.

sierra wrote:
furious wrote:is fault code TCs=0 P1901 the ERG code?

P0191 is the closest I can find to that - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit Range/Performance :?

Thanks.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Ladies and gents, the first page has been updated with a table of contents for this super long drawn out thread so it is easier to find what you are looking for - thanks Chicky babe 8-)

This post is in the best colour in the world in honor of the best football team in the world :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:16 pm

What, the all blacks? All black on tapatalk mate...

Cowboy Dave

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:16 pm

tex, that’s a job for a super moderator im just a humble chippy :lol: :lol:

after reading through all that rubbish i have a few questions that i may have missed so bear with me :? :?
with all these new found solutions i decided i would try my luck with the egr blank plate again, but not before i noted what my engine does at present,

TPS reads 99% all the time its only until shutdown it returns to 0% for a short time then back to 99%, which is far enough,

Boost has always maxed out at 16.6-16.8 and on cold days 17.1-17.3

fuel eco: gets 8.6-8.8 on the high way going easy 8.8-9.4 mixed city highway

i cracked the egr pipe open to be confronted with yes you guessed it......drum rolll.... big surprise.....no carbon..... :lol: about as much carbon build up as what’s on the tail pipe( thin black dust that a fingernail will cut through), car has 104400ks so as far as i can gather there are no records on my service history with lee that suggest these manifolds have been cleaned bar the replacement of the upper new revised one by the dealer just because i asked for it at 30k,

surely my ute can't have some awesome powers to prevent carbon build up :shock: :lol: :lol:

was thinking of doing the longranger mod but instead of welding a nut on the intercooler pipe add in a sleeve just before the throttle valve and tap a 1/8 nipple off that with another bit of pipe to join back on to the throttle valve...soo ill see what i can do with the idea because it would be removeable if need be... anyone know how thick the intercooler pipe bend is on the passenger side, thich enough to tap a nipple into, without the need for welding/ brazing :?
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm

So let me get this right.... :?

Car runs beautifully day after day?
No surging, limp modes or breakdowns?
No major carbon buildup?
No outrageous fuel consumption figures for no good reason?
No frightening service and repair costs?

You got a V6 chicky...just leave it as it is mate 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:TPS reads 99% all the time its only until shutdown it returns to 0% for a short time then back to 99%, which is far enough,

Have you done anything to make the throttle body stay open all the time 'and' shut when you turn it off?
That's the holy grail we've been seeking.
That could also account for less carbon with the higher manifold pressure slowing the flow of exhaust through the EGR valve.
sierra

Postby srb on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Thats interesting because I've noticed that my TP has been 99% open and EGR 0% all of the time even once engine has reached full operating temperature. Has been like this every day now for about a month. Could have something to with cooler intake temps with the cold weather. :-?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I have the creader and my EGR valve opens upon de-acceleration every time ive monitored it.
TB must close at same time, which is why I reckon mine was stalling when I got off the juice.
Especially when cold (EGR blank in).

Thanks Chicky your a legend mate!

SRB- can I have my white triton photo back please :roll:
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

Closing the EGR Valve

Postby Mooons on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Sounds like there all different as mine only operates when backing off just above idle & more so when it's cold
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 pm

If Mitsu just new how famous these valves have become! Legends from hell!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby simonb on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:34 am

I am just abour to do the modification to the MAP line with the T and check valve. I have found a valve with 0.7 cracking pressure. I would like to know if this cracking pressure is sufficient enough to open when required.
GLX-R MY07
simonb

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 am

sierra wrote:
chick_magnet_0001 wrote:TPS reads 99% all the time its only until shutdown it returns to 0% for a short time then back to 99%, which is far enough,

Have you done anything to make the throttle body stay open all the time 'and' shut when you turn it off?
That's the holy grail we've been seeking.
That could also account for less carbon with the higher manifold pressure slowing the flow of exhaust through the EGR valve.

I haven't done anything to the car apart from the ball bearing mod :? i think this made it a little smoother, but its that marginal it could of been a placebo effect, and ive wound the wastgate actuator up as far as it goes... :? :?

i just filled up the tank so im expecting to see the same results as everybody else and have shit economy at high way speed because the TBV is sitting at 20% or a little higher depending on hills/rises where more throttle courses it to open more(say 60%)

has anyone else looked at their TPS before doing the blanking and the effect banking it had, just going by my experience it seems the TBV is closing when a slight vacuum or when boost readings on acceleration don't line up with what they should. I can now accelerate in 4th albeit slowly(by choice) and it will read 0.0psifrom 50kph-70kph, wouldn't this mean the ECU is reading a different psi reading then what it should at that engine load and hence closing the TBV for some reason to compensate for less psi....i dunno im just trying to get my head around it :lol: makes you all want a single cab with a 3.2 now doesn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:23 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: nice work tex....id give u a gold star but the first link doesn't work.... :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby koshari on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:39 pm

ok, finally got round to checking my EGR on my ML.

throwing cel light errors with p2414 system code.

had it serviced and the stealers said the EGR valve required replacement , i suspect they looked up the error and thats as far as they went, no evidence of the plastic engine cover even being removed, just a statement on the invoice stating the EGR requires replacing and that it will cost $530 including fitting ( generous bastards hey!).

i also suspect they never read the service manual relating to the EGR valve that states its a serviceable item , specifically this part,

Code: Select all
Cleaning the EGR valve

caution    Do not use a solvent or detergent, which could enter the motor and cause it to malfunction.
   1.Remove the EGR valve and check that the EGR valve is not stuck or clogged with carbon deposits. Use a wire brush to clean the valve if necessary.

so i removed the plastic engine cover,

then removed the EGR valve. found the pipe coming from the cooler to be relatively clean ( a lot cleaner than expected at 165k ). on close inspection after separating the electric actuator from the EGR valve body i found some soot around the port where the actuator arm enters the DC motor/hall effect component, so i disconnected it blew it out with some compressed air and then cleaned it,

while exercising it i could feel it sticking a little so i lubricated it and exercised it a few times until it felt a lot smoother. i then gave it a final spray with CRC wiped down the excess spray and reassembled it,

while i had the cover off i disconnected the bolts on the exhaust manifold where the EGR supply pipe attaches, and as previously mentioned in this thread the bolt closest to the firewall was a bit of a pain, i used a offset 12 position ring spanner to finally get it undone, i then went to slide the shim i made up from the PDF posted to me earlier and found it to be a little small, so i simply removed the pipe and cut the outer wings off the shim and slid the remaining shim into the gasket (between one of the 5 or so layers) therefore blocking the hole,

reassembled, reset the CEL lamp and took it for a drive, the error didnt come up again and iam a happy camper at the moment.

i didnt really notice any difference to low down power but it was only a small drive round town.

i suspect the fact my piping was reasonably clean is due to the high ratio of highway driving i do, (about 90% highway 10% town).

i also suspect that the stealer was out to lash me.

anyway we will see how things go.
koshari

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby Octaneruss on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey guys are the plates yr talking about a complete block off or with a small hole in them , the one that is in mine has a 9mm hole in it , so I was told when I bought it . 2010 MN 2.5 diesel Manual . I would rather run no EGR through my engine !
Octaneruss

Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I patched a hole in my boat once then drilled a 9mm hole in it ...the result ....it sank...I'm trying to make a point here...
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks