Suspension On A Budget (Dobinson & Ultimate Owners Wanted)

Suspension On A Budget (Dobinson & Ultimate Owners Wanted)

Postby Raz89 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:02 am

Hey All

I just have a question for all of the people with Dobison and Ultimate Suspension. I have got two quotes on suspension, one from Ken at Ultimate and one from Martin at Dobison's. I was just wondering how these kits are for the existing owners. I have a really solid heavy ass steel tray which has made my rear leafs sag to basically flat (no word of a lie) and I would love to get it back up to somewhere where I can actaully flex up the ute without hitting the mudguards. The front has an alloy bullbar and spotties but thats all. I assume I would be going for constant load in the rear (maybe the mid load shocks) and the front probably the same. The Ultimate quote is a bit cheaper, not much, but don't think this includes castor wedges or spacers and the Dobison's does. They are both affordable for me so was just wondering about quality and affordability. I wouldn't mind mixing and matching either if thats the best way to go.

Cheers
Raz
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Re: Suspension On A Budget (Dobinson & Ultimate Owners Wanted)

Postby subi_man on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:15 am

Very happy with my Dobi's. Recently handled a heavily loaded 7,000km outback trip with ease and virtually no sag at the rear, and day-to-day unloaded driving is also hassle free. 8-)

Hope that helps
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:41 am

What he said.^^ Medium springs in the rear showing no sag after 30K. Much better handling too compared to stock. 8-)
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 am

Hi Raz,

Me being one of the few Ultimate guys I should add some thought as well. Please if I am wrong pull me up.

Dobinsons are a good product and have good service from what everyone says, no denying that.

Dobinsons and Ultimate are not jacked up pricing which others can possibly be.

Dobinsons are supply only.

If you are fortunate to live in Sydney etc ( I know you are not) you can have Ultimate do everything for you, that was a big plus for me, and as far as I am concerned that personal service and what they actually did was far more than what anyone would have expected. If not Ultimate also become supply only which brings them inline with Dobinsons on this point.

Ultimate have various levels of Shocks too, I went for the entry Aussie Ryder shock. You can spend more and get better shocks. My loads are light most of the time. I wanted better performance on and off road with handling, flexibility and control.

As you may be prone to shudder whether you get or need wedges or spacers is going to depend on what height you are after, ie if you want better suspension at std heights you should not need them, if you are after 25-50mm lift on std heights there is a huge chance you will get some sought of shudder, and wedges may help but not eliminate. There are people who have developed some kits which I am not sure of what they actually consist of, I think it is Lovells who have it listed on there website.

So for me living not that far from Ultimate having them fix and install was a huge plus for me, I just did not trust anyone in Newcastle to fit for me.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Raz89 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey guys

Thanks for your input, it is so easy just jumping on this site and having people who have first hand knowledge of the Triton. Daryn just a note one of my best mates installs suspension as part of his job so I am not worried about installation and also there are some awesome tutorials of suspension installs on this site so between them two we should be able to do it pretty easily...

Thanks guys and can't wait to mod my truck out a lil bit more...

Cheers

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Postby daryn on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Wish we all had your mate raz :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:59 pm

So who is in VIC and can install suspension for me if I get some?! :D
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Raz89 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Daryn

Yeah that's the best thing about living in a small town, I know most of the people in town and am good mates with a fair few of those so I have mates who do a lot of different trades and apprenticeships etc. But I guess that's about all of the benefits of living in a small town haha.

Raz89

Return to Suspension